robert1952:
An Antipodean example of a 6x4 job. robert

That’s a 5MW.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
An Antipodean example of a 6x4 job. robert

That’s a 5MW.

Whoops!!! So it is. I’ll pop it on the other thread forthwith and remember to take more water with it next time! Robert :blush: :blush:

;o8yic.jpg

when that first batch of lorries headed for Jordan

3300John:
when that first batch of lorries headed for Jordan everyone at ERF was up for the trip. the lorries was to have a
service on route, not 100% sure i think 15 went first but some didn’t all the way. bandits attacked one night and
some lorries was fired (Lack of experience i would think where to park) it was 1968 quite early for the m/e job.
when the second batch was to go Agency men drove the lorries with about 3 ERF men to service the trucks.
no one wanted to do a second trip…on the Jordanian lorries the air filter was under the bunk the stack pipe run
vertically inside the cab not on the outside. what a ■■■■ up…some of the lorries run hot out there i was to go and
change the cab panels so bigger radiators (25 gall of water) could be fitted. ERF changed my contract stopping me
going to college an extra day so i refused to do the Jordan job…silly mistake i suppose but i was only 18 ish at the
time…it would have been a long stay doing all the trucks. i,d done one for a wrecker at ERF to test the job.
it would have been a good 18 months to do all of them without help.
John

Hindsight combined with untaken opportunities is tricky subject, fraught with randomness and unpredictability. Best to assume that it would have been hot, dusty, unsupported and dangerous! Robert :laughing:

A reminder here that while UK heavy haulage operators utilised a crew-cab version of the LV cab, in NSW, Australia they made good sleepers. Robert

2LV cab built as a sleeper.jpg

Top left-hand corner…

Bump for E R F. Robert

With discussion about the 8MW cab-over-front-axle in progress on other ERF threads, I thought I’d remind us that the 4MW was available with LHD in both 4x2 and 6x4 configurations. :wink:

Pictures and captions by Dai Davies. Robert

Quoted from one of the other MV/MW threads:

ERF:
From the top again (with corrections!)…
MV
Cabs fitted during production were 2MV, 3MV, 4MV and 5MV

The first MV cabbed ERF is recorded as chassis 13263, a 2MV cabbed model 6.4 CU220 -10’1" wheelbase 4x2 tractor unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 28th Feb 1966 and destined for ERF South Africa.

The last MV cabbed ERF is recorded as chassis 23059, a 5MV cabbed model 6.8 CU310 of 18’ wheelbase 8x4 despatched ex Sun Works on the 4th Jan 1972 to I.S & P (New Zealand Dealer) for owner L.E. Elms & Sons and was registered GC3762.

MW
Cabs fitted during production were 3MW, 4MW, 5MW 6MW and 7MW.

4MW
The very first recorded MW is chassis 16625, a 4MW2 cabbed model 6.6 RR220 - 13’1" wheelbase 6x4 tractor unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 4th November 1968. It was the first of a large batch of identical vehicles all UK registered PDD 173 to 199G and PDD 201 to 223G and delivered by road to Jordan Phosphate Mines Co., Amman, Jordan.
(Note - it has been reported by John on this forum that an MW cab was built at JH Jennings before July 1967 for an export eight wheel chassis powered by a Detroit V8 engine and bound for New Zealand. No record of this vehicle can be found despite exhaustive searches of the records - we can conclude this vehicle was not issued with an ERF chassis number, was not warrantied by ERF, but could still have been used for product development purposes).

The last 4MW was a LHD model MPR360.060 (64R205) Tractor Unit, despatched ex Sun Works on the 29th of Jan 1974 to the Chinese Petroleum Co. via Dunne Spencer.

3MW
The first 3MW cabbed ERF is chassis 17099, a model 6.6CU220, 12’7" wheelbase tipper/tractor despatched ex Sun Works on the 10th March 1969 via the dealer ‘■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium’ for customer Lecoq.

The last 3MW cabbed ERF is chassis 25230, a model 6.6.CU235-SWB. Wheelbase not set, but suit 14’4". Despatched ex Sun Works on the 18th January 1973 to dealer ‘Industrial Steel & Plant’ New Zealand.

5MW
The first 5MW cabbed ERF is chassis 18714, a model 6.8.CU235 to suit 17’0" wheelbase. Despatched ex Sun Works on the 18th January 1973 to dealer ‘Cossens & Black’ New Zealand.

The last 5MW was 31490, a model MCC360.240 (64CU220) Tractor Unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 15th of April 1976 to WT ■■■■■ Haulage Ltd UK. via HLH Commercials.

6MW
The first 6MW cabbed ERF is chassis 23208, a model 66CU310 14’ 4" wheelbase. Despatched ex Sun Works on the 8th May 1972 to Pointer Group. Registered GHY 129K.

The last 6MW was 28781, a model MDC852.080 (64CU335) Tractor Unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 6th of October 1974 to B Boswell (Leicester Heavy Haulage Ltd)

7MW

The first 7MW tilt cabbed ERF was chassis 22993, a model NGC 420 - A6.4.CU335 tractor unit. Recorded as a ‘Show Vehicle’. Despatched ex Sun Works on the 1st October 1973 as a stock vehicle to ‘■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium’ 623/629 Chausses de Haecht, Brussels 3, Belgium. This vehicle was subject to warranty claims for defects found on delivery, and on nine occasions subsequently, the last being the 10th March 1976.

The second 7MW was chassis 24684, a model NGC 420 - A6.4.CU335 LWB. 15’ 9" wheelbase. Despatched the 14th August 1973. Again recorded as a ‘Show Vehicle’ to the same distributor as above. Note the date - we can conclude that this was the first 7MW to actually leave the works.

The last recorded MW is chassis 31927, a model 7MW tilt cabbed model NGC 420 - A6.4.CU335 a 4x2 tractor unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 22nd of December 1977 to Falcon Freight, Jeddah.

8MW
No record of any cabs fitted.

ERF:
The last 6MW was 28781, a model MDC852.080 (64CU335) Tractor Unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 6th of October 1974 to B Boswell (Leicester Heavy Haulage Ltd)

There’s a couple of “R” plate tractors on page 1. Maybe they were left unregistered for a couple of years or, maybe, they could be the elusive 8MW?

[zb]
anorak:

ERF:

There’s a couple of “R” plate tractors on page 1. Maybe they were left unregistered for a couple of years or, maybe, they could be the elusive 8MW?

‘ERF’ seemed to think that the 8MW cab was derived from the 7MW cab. Remember that the 8MW is in the 7MW parts catalogue with drawings of that cab, and arrows. Robert

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF:

‘ERF’ seemed to think that the 8MW cab was derived from the 7MW cab. Remember that the 8MW is in the 7MW parts catalogue with drawings of that cab, and arrows. Robert

HOLD THE PRESSES (Again…Sorry!)
It’s an evolving thing this at the moment, sorry but that’s the nature of it…

I have to list this info as it comes in to me so that I can keep tabs on it here on TN, otherwise I don’t know what I’ve posted and what I haven’t.
Frustrating for us all I know, but we will get there.

Tonight some later 6MW’s have been found in the records, including Pountains UGE 852R and the LHH vehicle RAN 648R - but unfortunately the cab type was not listed in the ERF records for either. Rare, I’m pleased to say, it seems these two are listed in the records (including registration numbers), but the cab type was not recorded on their build sheets. Can you imagine ordering spares…?
As soon as I receive their build details I will update the list.
No others have been found - so far.

The 8MW cab was definitely derived from the 7MW, but there is no record of one ever being fitted to a new vehicle.
Just the two loose 8MW cabs at the moment, sent to Belgium.

ERF:

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF:

HOLD THE PRESSES (Again…Sorry!)
It’s an evolving thing this at the moment, sorry but that’s the nature of it…

I have to list this info as it comes in to me so that I can keep tabs on it here on TN, otherwise I don’t know what I’ve posted and what I haven’t.
Frustrating for us all I know, but we will get there.

Tonight some later 6MW’s have been found in the records, including Pountains UGE 852R and the LHH vehicle RAN 648R - but unfortunately the cab type was not listed in the ERF records for either. Rare, I’m pleased to say, it seems these two are listed in the records (including registration numbers), but the cab type was not recorded on their build sheets. Can you imagine ordering spares…?
As soon as I receive their build details I will update the list.
No others have been found - so far.

The 8MW cab was definitely derived from the 7MW, but there is no record of one ever being fitted to a new vehicle.
Just the two loose 8MW cabs at the moment, sent to Belgium.

Don’t worry, we can bear with you!!

Now just to clarify: I assume that the 6MW classification refers to UGE 852R’s original cab (which we’ve been calling a 4MW), not the 7MW replacement for it! Robert

robert1952:
Now just to clarify: I assume that the 6MW classification refers to UGE 852R’s original cab (which we’ve been calling a 4MW), not the 7MW replacement for it! Robert

Yes, correct.
We ‘think’ this vehicle was new to Pilkington, but lets hold on until we know…!

Info on these two (I will update the list when I have more time)…

UGE 852R is chassis number 33315.
Model - MDC852.080 (66CU310)
■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Cab not recorded (in pen 6MW).
Despatch date - 24th February 1977
Customer - West of Scotland Excavations Ltd. Via dealer Bowen.
The archivist is sure this vehicle went through the hands of Pilikington, but may be mistaken.

RAN 648R is chassis number 33865 and is the very last 6MW built.
■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Despatch date - To be confirmed.
Customer - Leicester Heavy Haulage Ltd.
Uprated by Cossington Commercials to 121924KG on 29th June 1981.

ERF:
Info on these two (I will update the list when I have more time)…

UGE 852R is chassis number 33315.
■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Despatch date - 24th February 1977
Customer - West of Scotland Excavations Ltd. Via dealer Bowen.
The archivist is sure this vehicle went through the hands of Pilikington, but may be mistaken.

■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Despatch date - To be confirmed.

Great! That’s two 6MWs for the files, at least. I notice that both these vehicles have the big, clearly-defined radiator grille, unlike the 4MWs: could this be an identifying feature, I wonder? Robert :smiley:

■■■■■■■ NTC 335
Despatch date - 29th March 1977

Hiya…have we got a price list for some of these trucks…i recall Peter Foden saying you could have the luxury
of a steel sleeper cab for 1000 pounds extra if companies would pay.
have we a price for a A series 4x2 Gardner 8lxb in 1972 with a 7LV cab
compared to the same running gear but with the 5 mw cab.
even try the same vehicle with a 220 ■■■■■■■ as that was more of a standard selling unit with the 5 MW cab
John