ERF 'clearing house' thread!

As you can see from the sheets below, both axle positions appear to have been offered - perhaps to satisfy local C&U regulations in Oz. Robert

1296535.jpg

robert1952:

newmercman:
Nicked this from Facebook

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

South African ERFs. Locally built cabs and probably locally built engines - Atlantis. Robert

The cabs are from Santini and I see clearly some ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ (cross) mounted :slight_smile:

Atlantis was later present and in fact Daimler-Benz

Jean-Pierre

Macadam-woman:

Yes, they’re Santini cabs but I hadn’t noticed the ■■■■■■■ badge - well spotted - ‘anything less is a gamble’! And how reassuring! Robert

[post transferred to 4MW thread - Robert]

Shunters, ‘dock spotters’: call them what you will. Not sure where these come from; but they’re UK registered and quite modern! Robert

4257388819_dc2bd86d06.jpg

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
I agree that’s a good find! However, it doesn’t explain why the vehicle in the photo has RHD, when Portugal has LHD. Portugal has fitted its own cabs to British lorries for decades (notably Atkinson, AEC and Leyland) but they all had LHD. Robert

Maybe the vehicles were for export to an African State. That would also “explain” the too-old-even-for-Turkey cab. If that is correct, why would they assemble them in Portugal, when labour is cheaper in Africa? Maybe the vehicles’ destination country was unsuitable for the setting-up of vehicle assembly?

We must remember that this was Bryant-era ERF, in which most ordinary manufacturing commonsense was over-ridden by the obsession with making as many different types of vehicle as possible.

I love these detective stories.

Remember that Angola is a Portuguese dependency/territory,just a thought.

David

I took these pictures last weekend - they are part of a large collection on the wall at the Tailem Bend roadhouse, on the Duke’s Hwy, South Australia. Im not an ERF expert, but is the top one an LV?, whatever it is, 280BHP would have been a pretty good figure back in 1966 I think.

kmills:
I took these pictures last weekend - they are part of a large collection on the wall at the Tailem Bend roadhouse, on the Duke’s Hwy, South Australia. Im not an ERF expert, but is the top one an LV?, whatever it is, 280BHP would have been a pretty good figure back in 1966 I think.

The top one looks as if it has an LV cab, as you say and reminds me of this image:

2LV cab built as a sleeper.jpg

The lower one appears to have an export MV cab. Robert

The 6x4 roadtrain ERF,could this have a V-■■■■■■■ engine :question: the print below it
says VTO 280 ,and it was around the time the vinne engine was new out i think. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: - :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .

robert1952:
Shunters, ‘dock spotters’: call them what you will. Not sure where these come from; but they’re UK registered and quite modern! Roberts as these at what used to be Bachelors foods Worksop,Kamac used em for shunting

5thwheel:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
I agree that’s a good find! However, it doesn’t explain why the vehicle in the photo has RHD, when Portugal has LHD. Portugal has fitted its own cabs to British lorries for decades (notably Atkinson, AEC and Leyland) but they all had LHD. Robert

Maybe the vehicles were for export to an African State. That would also “explain” the too-old-even-for-Turkey cab. If that is correct, why would they assemble them in Portugal, when labour is cheaper in Africa? Maybe the vehicles’ destination country was unsuitable for the setting-up of vehicle assembly?

We must remember that this was Bryant-era ERF, in which most ordinary manufacturing commonsense was over-ridden by the obsession with making as many different types of vehicle as possible.

I love these detective stories.

Remember that Angola is a Portuguese dependency/territory,just a thought.
David

That’s the best explanation so far. I have a nagging thought that I remember reading about the vehicle’s introduction in Commercial Motor, but I’m damned if I can find the article. If my terminally-corroded memory is right, the vehicles were built entirely by BMC, badge-engineered into ERFs, then exported to somewhere LOL. India? Someone, somewhere, knows for sure!

revman:

robert1952:
Shunters, ‘dock spotters’: call them what you will. Not sure where these come from; but they’re UK registered and quite modern! Roberts as these at what used to be Bachelors foods Worksop,Kamac used em for shunting

Thanks for the info there, Revman: so they were shunters for Bachlelors Foods at Worksop then, operated by Kamac. Cheers, Robert

Apart from the one I photographed in a scrapyard last year, this is the only ERF I have seen in Spain. It lives in the village of Benejofar and seems to still work extremely hard for it’s living - I see it on at least once a week and it is always chasing about everywhere. This is the only time in nearly five years I have seen it standing still long enough for me to take a photo!
(Sometime in the next five I may even manage to speak to the owner/driver and find out a bit more about it!)

Steve

Ste46:
Apart from the one I photographed in a scrapyard last year, this is the only ERF I have seen in Spain. It lives in the village of Benejofar and seems to still work extremely hard for it’s living - I see it on at least once a week and it is always chasing about everywhere. This is the only time in nearly five years I have seen it standing still long enough for me to take a photo!
(Sometime in the next five I may even manage to speak to the owner/driver and find out a bit more about it!)

Steve

Nice to see one still going! There used to be lots in Spain. If you haven’t already, go on the LHD E-series ERF thread and the LHD EC-series ERF thread - plenty of Spanish ones there! Cheers, Robert

robert1952:

Ste46:

Steve

Nice to see one still going! There used to be lots in Spain. If you haven’t already, go on the LHD E-series ERF thread and the LHD EC-series ERF thread - plenty of Spanish ones there! Cheers, Robert

Very true, Robert, but there aint many of 'em left now! This one has an Alicante reg dating back at least ten+ years.

Steve

Anyone remember the 2 square red lights on a B series dash ? I thought one was the over 50 light and the other no card in ? Did other makes have such lights ?

Got a few ERF pics for posting Robert, don’t know one from tuther apart from badges :frowning: so this will be the place for them :slight_smile:, start with these.
Oily

An EC11, an ECX, an ECT and an ECS, Oily. The last 3 will all have Eaton ‘S’ synchro boxes and even the EC might, as some had them. Cheers, Robert

This is a nice example of an ERF taken at Kelty Fife Truck Show.

Held at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum. Near Dunfermline.

iancraighaulage.co.uk

Scotnat:
This is a nice example of an ERF taken at Kelty Fife Truck Show.

Held at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum. Near Dunfermline.

iancraighaulage.co.uk

That looks like a really fine restoration! Robert