ERF 'clearing house' thread!

Sniffy:
I thought this may be of interest Stu Buxton gave me a copy a few years ago but never got the backstory to it, obviously spent some time over there but what was the truck ?

South African Railways purchased ERF 6x4 chassis begin of the seventies and several ■■■■■■■ NTK335 (UK-manufacturered, hence the K) were installed…

Mobile organ

70CCA2D1-BA95-447D-BCD5-A2E8232FC4AE.jpeg

robthedog:
Mobile organ

New to S + E Johnson corn millers Darley Dale

Not my pictures and not very clear…here some info on the MV-Cab as well as the ERF SA with Santini-cab.

ERF-Continental:
Not my pictures and not very clear…here some info on the MV-Cab as well as the ERF SA with Santini-cab.

I do think that square Santini cab has a lot of Motor Panels influence! Ro

Just a remark…some weeks ago I found some brief info on ERF Ltd manufacturing trailers. In wartime mainly
single-axled and later (begin sixties) also double-axled. Somewhere I overheard that Dyson was more or less
involved, but I am not sure how. Well, production of ERF Trailers ceased as the market was not positive about
ERF Trailers because those trailers were solely connectable (by the king pin or fifth wheel) to ERF chassis.

Who can shed a light on this? Less is available on the internet…and “ERF The inside story” by Dai Davies is also
not very informative.

ERF-Continental:
Just a remark…some weeks ago I found some brief info on ERF Ltd manufacturing trailers. In wartime mainly
single-axled and later (begin sixties) also double-axled. Somewhere I overheard that Dyson was more or less
involved, but I am not sure how. Well, production of ERF Trailers ceased as the market was not positive about
ERF Trailers because those trailers were solely connectable (by the king pin or fifth wheel) to ERF chassis.

Who can shed a light on this? Less is available on the internet…and “ERF The inside story” by Dai Davies is also
not very informative.

Yes, a long time ago I started a thread on ERF Trailers, to which you contributed! Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=121848&hilit=erf+trailers

Ro

@Robert…thank you for this refreshment…

ERF-Continental:
@Robert…thank you for this refreshment…

My pleasure! :slight_smile:

Part of the small ERF-leftovers of the CDB-archives are copies of ERF Chassis.

First serious beginnings on the continent (read BeNeLux and France) started
in 1969 by indeed (certainly because of service and knowledge of the market)
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Before Best Truck (Bestebreurtje) started Diesel Importer
“Voortstuwingstechniek” (translated propulsion-technique) from Dordrecht was
in charge for Holland. Unknown if also other marques of trucks were represented,
however JWK made notes of the fact that Dutch marque A.S. (Automobielfabriek
Schmidt) had ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Well, Voortstuwingstechniek was very active in the
field of marine, directly located to international waterways. They started in 1953
to my knowledge. Before Voortstuwingstechniek the company N.V. Nederlandsche
Motoren Maatschappij of Rotterdam imported ERF as well as Trojan, however no
further facts on the numbers imported/sold. The marques White and Autocar were
not represented by a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ but in 1970s GEVEKE started that business.

In Belgium ■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium (formerly Ets. A. Denonville) was appointed
ERF-importer (with the A. Lecoq-chassis as first order) while they also were a long
established ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Also the marques White and Autocar were represented
so that gave quite some assurance about the market and how to service.

In France the company SOVI was appointed ERF-importer, also a long established
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ as well as representation for White and Autocar. Later MABO came
on the stage and of that introduction and background John (Saviem) wrote quite some
interesting lines. Mabo was then very known for Mack-trucks. In the 1971-listing France
was not represented meaning the preparation/discussion with Mabo was ongoing. Sovi
was located in Clichy and after the truck-representation ended on that location ■■■■■■■
continued with sole representation for diesel engines.

My side of the story is that ERF felt very comfortable with a swift and sure start having
at least ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ on board but I assume their workshops were not special enough
to handle trucks with all sorts of other repairs. Core business were and are diesel engines.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Without intention to confuse but “■■■■■■■ Distributor France” also existed, aka S.O.V.I. as ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

See attached collectible…from about 1950-1960

An RHD 5MW 6x4 tractor posing for the launch of an “European”-trailer?

Read the text…it was published in ERF Chassis of 1971 and boy, that
would impress several continental companies, I think though. At least
Fruehauf France (who had several factories in France) would influence
several customers…and I don’t know if ERF had something to do with
this continental promotion.

ERF-Continental:
An RHD 5MW 6x4 tractor posing for the launch of an “European”-trailer?

Read the text…it was published in ERF Chassis of 1971 and boy, that
would impress several continental companies, I think though. At least
Fruehauf France (who had several factories in France) would influence
several customers…and I don’t know if ERF had something to do with
this continental promotion.

ERF had a close connection with Boalloy, who designed the first version of the LV cab. Nice pic of a 4MW cab there! R

Indeed a 4MW

Large headlamps- does that not make it a 6MW.

[zb]
anorak:
Large headlamps- does that not make it a 6MW.

Not large enough methinks. Much too early for the 6MW which arrived in the mid-'70s. And I think all 6MW cabs had the modified dummy radiator grille panel IIRC. R

We don’t know for sure that it is earlier than mid '70s. The lamps look the same as this one:
31851139723_31720369b9.jpg
I think we might have been through these possibilities before, but the conclusions escape me. :laughing: Nurse! Is it cognac time yet?

[zb]
anorak:
We don’t know for sure that it is earlier than mid '70s. The lamps look the same as this one:
I think we might have been through these possibilities before, but the conclusions escape me. :laughing: Nurse! Is it cognac time yet?

Here is Leicester’s other 6MW. I have a vague recollection that we did indeed agree that your picture shows a 6MW. However, A-J’s picture precedes the introduction of the big headlamp MWs in '73. R

12243201_407077646152053_5752019061341728107_n.jpg

In all cases with a two-pieces window…and herewith a 4x2 tractor, perhaps whatever was in stock
when it comes to lamplights? The lamps are more flat compared with the more ‘bowl’-type

Also a South African Railways post with two bonnetted ERF-tractors, out of an order for twenty.

Picture of an early (Jennings-cabbed) B series, however LHD ERF-demonstrator. Some of these
similar chassis were sold in Holland and Belgium.

ERF-Continental:
In all cases with a two-pieces window…and herewith a 4x2 tractor, perhaps whatever was in stock
when it comes to lamplights? The lamps are more flat compared with the more ‘bowl’-type

Also a South African Railways post with two bonnetted ERF-tractors, out of an order for twenty.

Picture of an early (Jennings-cabbed) B series, however LHD ERF-demonstrator. Some of these
similar chassis were sold in Holland and Belgium.

All interesting stuff! The 4MW in the first picture would almost certainly have had a David Brown 6-sp 'box. The bonneted South African Railways ERFs in the second picture will interest anyone who has been following the fortunes of those specially-built units, especially as this is a new picture of them. I’m surprised the Beech’s Garage ad (3rd picture) shows a LHD B-series, as that ad was in Commercial Motor magazine and would have targeted the domestic market. Again, this is a new pic to me. Good work. R