Elderly drivers

waddy640:
Until a few years back HGV’s were restricted to 40mph on single carriageways. I used to do a journey of which 43 miles of it was single carriageway with just 4 lay-bys in which to pull over to allow other traffic to pass. This lead to abuse and dangerous overtaking from impatient drivers.

It’s still like that in Scotland… Look at the A75… Miles and Miles of 40mph speed limits

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4yorks:

waddy640:
Until a few years back HGV’s were restricted to 40mph on single carriageways. I used to do a journey of which 43 miles of it was single carriageway with just 4 lay-bys in which to pull over to allow other traffic to pass. This lead to abuse and dangerous overtaking from impatient drivers.

It’s still like that in Scotland… Look at the A75… Miles and Miles of 40mph speed limits

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The hundred miles of Hell, used to use it in the early seventies with a Bedford TK Furniture Pantechnicon.

thWFWJ8YQW.jpgThere’s a minimum speed law for the interstates in the US, drive under that and you’ll get fined.

In the Mail today,only a day after the Duke of Hazards T boning,there`s a picture of his missus on a public road driving with no seat belt mmmmmmmmmmm

As someone who will be 72 in a few months I suppose I fit the criteria for this thread.I’ve probably driven further in reverse than most have forward over the years.Physically I’m fit,my eyesight tested(free for OAPs)last week and I still don’t need glasses.I drive several times a year to Spain and back so far without incident.I have a clean licence and have never made an insurance claim since owning my first car at 17,touch wood.In the UK I tend to drive at a speed slightly faster than lane 1 and 2 users but a bit slower than the lane 3 merchants.
Having said that,I,ve seen folk younger and older than me who should never be near the steering wheel of a car.Some can’t read a number plate at 3ft,some can barely walk with sticks or crutches.Why is school run time supposed to be the most dangerous time of the day?In my home area if you drive above 45mph due to those bumbling along you wonder what’s wrong.Why are some drivers apparently psychologically unfit to drive alongside their fellow humans?Some of our so called professionals don’t help the image.It’s a very involved subject is this.I have to renew my licence in July apparently with just a declaration regarding my health and eyesight.I think some medical test should be compulsory.I won’t be happy when I have to hand in my licence when the time comes but needs must.

the maoster:
Apparently an elderly fella rolled his Range Rover today outside his house in Sandringham. His Missus will hit the roof! Thankfully he walked away uninjured.

He went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn for a check up. How many other people can visit a hospital named after their late Mother in law?

Harry Monk:

mike68:
To be fair to the man I believe he has an excellent driving record for a man of his age.

The last car crash he was involved in was back in 97’ in Paris.

I see what you did there. :wink:

+1
bit of a wooooshhhh for most methinks… :slight_smile:

Gidders:
I,ve seen folk younger and older than me who should never be near the steering wheel of a car.Some can’t read a number plate at 3ft,some can barely walk with sticks or crutches.

Why should someone’s inability to walk mean they shouldn’t be driving?

the maoster:

Suedehead:
DVLA should revoke his licence . . . oh hang on

I imagine that if he reapplied for it licking the back of his wife’s head before putting it on an envelope would be a novel experience!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
somewhat similar in experiences to prince harry stuffing pictures of his granny into the asscrack of a lapdances thong on his stag night. :slight_smile:

On the A38 near Gloucester earlier I caught up a T reg Micra, with an elderly driver, a fish symbol on the boot and several charity stickers in the rear window. They were doing 35ish in a 50 and as I overtook the driver shook his head; Full house in coffin dodger bingo.

> remy:
> 0There’s a minimum speed law for the interstates in the US, drive under that and you’ll get fined.

There are minimum speed limits used here as well but there is far more of a problem with people going too fast. Only the impatient have a problem and usually harrass the slower driver which makes them the lowest of the low. :wink:

Roymondo: If you can barely walk and even getting into and out of a vehicle causes severe problems,it implies that you have difficulty with your legs and/or hips perhaps your back.Therefore,if you need to make an emergency dive for the brakes,your reaction time is going to be a lot slower.On the other hand,the car may have manual controls.

For the benefit of those that can’t understand what I posted:

“Crap! We use metric over here. and at 71 I get frustrated at doddering old gits that do 70 on a 100 single lane road only to floor it when they get to a dual. I get frustrated when they stop dead at a roundabout when there’s plainly nothing to give way to. I get frustrated when they’re doing 85 in lane 2 of a 100K 3 lane motorway, I could go on. I don’t take stupid chances to get round them, but there are plenty that do. I know that you being faultless will say that the other drivers should be patient (as I am) but I can understand, if not, condone some of the actions that are taken to get past these people.”
If you can’t drive at a speed that keeps you up to the limit when it’s safe, get off the road.
I know after more than 40 years driving rigid and trailer, artics and buses that speed limits ain’t targets. See red print.
In answer to jake the snake, yes I have thought about how I’ll drive when I get older, and the same as Gidders, I’m coming up to 72, still fully competent and capable of keeping up with the traffic. When the time comes, I’ll know when to give it away. Another glaring example of your inability to understand what you read “As has been said it’s a limit and not a target. Just because drivers like yourself are apparently always in a hurry and have no patience you criticise others who are doing absolutely nothing wrong.” I’m not and never said that I’m always in a hurry or have no patience. While you’re making assumptions about me, I’ll make one about you. Apparently, you’re a 90 year old bike riding, Nissan micra driving idiot who defends all others who do the wrong thing, have never driven a lorry, but hate all lorry drivers.

I believe everyone should have to retake their test to renew their licence every 10 years and every 5 years over 70, that would ensure everyone was up to a standard and would weed out the nightmares, young simpletons, old ■■■■■, foreigners who have never taken a proper test or had someone else do it for them.

It would make the roads safer and expand the driving instructor industry…

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Controversial…

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

How can people go to so much trouble to Photoshop such a brilliant image and then let it all down simply by not even knowing how the man’s name is spelled?

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p … s-13882041

What a self entitled trollop.
Can see she is milking it for all its worth.

adam277:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philips-crash-victim-reveals-13882041

I bet the ambulance chassers are quing up for her business, and now the daily mirror have obviously paid her a nice little wad.

Tony Res:
I believe everyone should have to retake their test to renew their licence every 10 years and every 5 years over 70, that would ensure everyone was up to a standard and would weed out the nightmares, young simpletons, old ■■■■■, foreigners who have never taken a proper test or had someone else do it for them.

It would make the roads safer and expand the driving instructor industry…

peterm:
yes I have thought about how I’ll drive when I get older, and the same as Gidders, I’m coming up to 72, still fully competent and capable of keeping up with the traffic. When the time comes, I’ll know when to give it away.

The problem is we are the worst possible critics of ourselves. We all* fail to see many of our faults. Self policing and relying on self assessment hasnt resulted in all poor drivers leaving our roads so far. And who is going to say "Im a bad driver and a danger, but Ill continue anyway"? Many of those stupid manoeuvres we see daily, arent knowingly made, most are made by those who are unaware of the danger they put themselves in.
Sorry Peterm, but you and everyone else are NOT** the best judge of when to give up driving yourselves.

Good though it is no Politician is going to take up Tony Ress idea: pay more to drive because of extra tests. Have a licence refused "Ive been driving 50yrs and never …etc". Few votes in that. Nanny State moaners who would rather have the freedom to share the road with incompetents. Maybe lives will be saved, and a few who have lost relatives will vote for that law, but more will get upset at having their driving competence questioned.

*all: well, mostly anyway.
**Maybe Peterm is actually the only perfect person here… besides me?

adam277:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philips-crash-victim-reveals-13882041

What a state to get into. It hit every branch. :stuck_out_tongue: