Driving on Docks

I was running round on trinity on driving mode last night Rob, and Im going to keep doing just that. I thought about it, and reckon it aint even worth the chance, because it aint for my benefit to squeeze more driving hours in, if you see what I mean.

Mal.

after reading this board thought i would add my 2 penny`s worth…most tachos are of course automatic…but…there are still mode switches and i remember a fellow driver being prosecuted for failing to change the mode switch for different functions…although he argued quite rightly…he was still prosecuted.so it is a legal requirement to operate the mode switch…automatic or not…unless you have the most up to date piece of equipment…in which case they are of course fully automatic…with no mode switches…

When you go into Felixstowe I see there is a sign saying Road Traffic Laws Apply.and there again how many Tugs have tax discs on them how many trailers have a plate on them so if they can use these round the docks Road Traffic Laws DO NOT Apply.

There is a difference between “Public roads” and “Roads to which the public have access”.

Public roads are just that - public property, and therefore, you’re subject to the relevant traffic laws, plus the requirements to have VED discs, etc.

Roads to which the public have access are private property, and therefore don’t require you to have a VED disc, but since the “public” have access to them, they’re still subject to road traffic laws (e.g. minimum ages for driving).

For example, a lane leading from a public road to a caravan site may be private property, but since it is routinely used by the general public (the customers), it’s still subject to road traffic laws. This particular example has been proven in case law.

I’m not sure where the line is drawn on things like drivers’ hours/tachos.

When enterring Felixstowe and Tilbury you should see signs saying that they are subject to Road Traffic Act. Which to me says, normal tacho rules apply, because you have not been given an exemption by the port owners. Naturally, they exempt all their own vehicles, no lights, indicators, exceed the speed limit, drive on wrong side of road, etc.,etc…
Good init?? :confused: :confused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

My 2 Euro’s worth. I have seen something about a driver getting banned for DD at Hollyhead I think. The judge decided that the docks was a road because you may need a ticket to get in to the freight area but you don’t need a ticket to driver off a ferry, so the area was open to the public and was a road under the road traffic act. :open_mouth:

Strange lot judges don’t want to get in front of one myself! :unamused:

Although from another thread, I think the answers are relevant here, especially the info ref a recent magazine article.