Driver fines

robroy:

msgyorkie:
And just because DVSA doesn’t fine you today for not carrying print paper it doesn’t mean they will not fine you in the near future.

That’s only because they have not thought of it yet…but just give it time. :smiling_imp:
Comes under the list of ‘‘Missed Tricks’’.

Actually it is listed on Page 140 of the current DVSA Sanctions Policy - i.e. their official policy is to issue a £100 Fixed Penalty if a driver is found not to have printer paper.

Conor:

commonrail:
I’ve never been fined.
Started on 7.5’s…30 years ago,and pulled every stroke in the book.
Are we getting a bit paranoid?

This. I’ve had just one, entering a box junction which was on the roundabout at the top of the Tyne Tunnel when I was already on the roundabout trying to continue during rush hour. A car at the entrance in front of me decided to drive into the truck length gap at the other side of the box junction as I was driving across it.

As the offence is committed by entering the box when your exit is not clear (NOT by stopping within the box), I’d be challenging that ticket and asking to see the photographic evidence…

adam277:
So in theory if you overspeed in a truck going downhill surely in theory they could check and have proof that you went over 60mph?
Assuming you have a new card and tacho and unit despite not seeing you speed?
Sounds like DVSA ■■■■■■■■■ come true.

In a word - No.

In rather more words, it always used to be the case that the “primary” evidence of a speeding offence had to be first-hand witness evidence (i.e. the copper watching the vehicle and noticing that it was speeding), and this would then be corroborated by the reading from a radar gun, use of a stopwatch, Truvelo, Vascar etc - or simply another witness. When they introduced unmanned speed cameras (Gatso etc) the law had to be changed to allow the “primary” evidence to come from the machine, with the necessary corroboration being provided by the photos. This primary evidence can only be provided by an approved device - and there must be corroboration. GPS location data simply will not suffice as it is so susceptible to radio interference.

If you want fines, there’s a list of most of the VOSA ones on this PDF. Then again, not all of them are driver related and some would likely apply to vans and other commercial vehicles, but potentially there’s quite a lot.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … policy.pdf

On the tacho roll, the only time I’ve been stopped by them I was asked if I had a spare roll although not sure if they wanted to issue a fine (had one so no probs). Then again, this was the same lot who said I had to strap several tons of machinery to rope hooks instead of the chassis…hmm.