Does payload matter any more

that has set my brain away I can not remember when gross weights went from 24 ton to 30.39 and artics to 32.0 I know artics run at 32 in 1960s … been on google nothing ■■?

fuse:
my god a Leyland Reiver 1 7.30 tonnes on 3 Axles can you imagine the extra profit .If Scania man turned over £75000 in his old truck and it had a payload of 20 tonnes, then he did rough the same in his Scania with 18 ton payload then he would be £7000 per year worse off ■■?

when I stated reading the thread my first thought was a reiver 16.5-17tns ish payload at 24 gross and of course the G cabbed Leyland Clydesdales at 16tn gross and a payload o near 10.5tns wae a insulated body

fuse:
that has set my brain away I can not remember when gross weights went from 24 ton to 30.39 and artics to 32.0 I know artics run at 32 in 1960s … been on google nothing ■■?

When I started at the quarry in 1975 our Foden S80 and S50 eight leggers were running at 30.50 apart from a handfull of short wheelbase half cab ones that were still at 24 tonnes so I guess that around 1972 or 73 when the S80 came out was when it changed? Most of our Fodens back then carried 20+ tonnes, however we had a handfull of Sed Ak 400’s and they could only cart 19.25 and that was with the Gardner engine fitted and the Rolls 265 engined ones were heavier again. I remember our TM saying that when they were sold off after six years the Seddons hadn’t made the company any money as each load was costed out at 20 tonnes! :unamused:

Some of our OD’s were getting 17.80 on three axle Ford Cargoes at 26 tonne gross, I could squeeze 17 tonne dead on my Foden six wheeler at 26 tonne. The last Foden 3000 series I had couldn’t manage a 20 tonne payload running at 31 tonnes!

Pete.

This subject is a real brain teaser for me,I do remember Econofreight ran long nose scammels with tipping trailers they carried just over 15 ton ,at 32 t gros that was in1966 .The four axle ridged were 24 TON GROSS I can not find anything on google to sort it out.

I have no problem with it.

Talking of tippers, I heard someone on the cb today ask “when did that Irish firm finish building Hinos?”
Someone answered “they never finished building a single one!”
:laughing:

ha well I have only been to university of life left school when I was 15 .

I’ve heard that those ugly duckling Renaults are quite light (Range C?) I’ve seen some Wilcox bodied ones with “20.50” on the sides.
They do look like they’ve got bits missing off the cab corners though.

I was in Smiths Gill Mill gravel pit earlier, their brand new 6w Daf was there. CF Construction Charlton Superlite (steel) body with the side over sheeting system (like Hansons spec one). Payload of 14.5t, and it’s primary job is sand to a Cemex plant. :open_mouth:
Surely 6w without a grab are becoming a pointless exercise now?

we need at least a 29t payload in curtainsiders (flats are a h&s nightmare now), i find myself with real issues of finding any trailers light enough. I’m having to keep my old utillity trailers going as there seems nothing new that is light enough, that is built as well. We have had some alloy chassis trailors that with a standard cab 6x2 cf 430 could carry 30.2t, the first owner, Sealane, were somewhat brutal with them though and the bodywork couldnt take it, chassis were perfect though.

We did have a day cab roadtrain 350 6x2 and m&g tandem flat thatcould carry 26t, coppers would never believe you until it went on a weighbridge :laughing:

I have just read sales info from MAN can you believe this more payload means more money they say 150 kgs = a lot of money so payload does matter MAN says so well I never. would you adam and eve it. :unamused:

Smiths Bletchingtons’ new 8w CF Constructions with Charlton Superlite steel bodies can take 19t. I’d be happy with that.
On Thompsons site someone has claimed their new R cab Streamline with Loadmaster body tares at 13200kg. I would check the tare again on a different weighbridge. :wink:

I was talking to a tipper driver at the diesel pumps today, and he said the flip over sheets (as used by muck shifters) are being phased out as they don’t completely cover the load.
Anyone heard about this?
On the subject of payloads, I also heard one local firms’ new trucks are coming with manual tailgates to save on weight.

You have to be kidding.

Tarmac duck:
You have to be kidding.

On what? The tailgates or the sheeting systems?
Surely the auto tailgates don’t weigh much, unless you use those awful ones which have cable pulleys in the tailboard posts. They were awful, probably the worst thing Thompsons have ever done.
The thing about the sheets must be a drivers’ myth. They’d be hopeless for us, loading rubble with a JCB.

Muckaway:
On the subject of payloads, I also heard one local firms’ new trucks are coming with manual tailgates to save on weight.

Saw a brand new Hino t’other day, with manual tailgate…

Step backwards.

el_presidente:

Muckaway:

Saw a brand new Hino t’other day, with manual tailgate…

Step backwards.

Are they making them in Euro 6 form at last? I saw a 14 plate Hino grab 8w on Truck trader yesterday, £80k. Not sure if that’s a good price or not.

Surely it’s time for the mgw to go upto 34 or 35t, given that tare weights are going up everytime the registration changes?
Are Tridems any lighter? Hanson premix have one running out of Stanton plant now, and there’s a grab wagon on Thompsons’ website.

Muckaway:
Talking of tippers, I heard someone on the cb today ask “when did that Irish firm finish building Hinos?”
Someone answered “they never finished building a single one!”
:laughing:

they used to be assembled in kit form in Dublin back in the 1980’s I think.

I bet they were rubbish then aswell lol

Muckaway:
Are Tridems any lighter? Hanson premix have one running out of Stanton plant now, and there’s a grab wagon on Thompsons’ website.

No.