Do you help another truck past or leave them?

As a general rule I’ll knock it off a couple of clicks once they’re alongside but like juddian said there is no hard and fast rule as it all depends on the one doing the passing and their general driving attitude and aptitude.

I’ve on occasion knocked off the CC completely and shaved off 5 to 10 mph to let an idiot pass me as quickly as possible and let him get a bit of distance (a trailer or two’s length at least) before resuming normal play, of course this is traffic and other conditions dependant.

Not that many pass me to be fair as our firm believe in calibrating their trucks to do 55* and tend to replace drive tyres as complete sets and never with less than 3mm of tread left, even then I tend to run the CC at 88kmh (54*) and keep 2kmh in reserve for when I’ve caught up to and want to pass someone (which I still do frequently even at the slightly lower speed).

• = Speed shown on digital display of truck and corroborated with my Tomtom satnav and GPS enabled drivers hours app on my phone, curiously the needle speedo always reads a couple of mph faster than the trucks digital display so if the digital speed said 55 then the needle would be pointing roughly at 57, at lower speeds then it’s more like 1mph difference, and if I go through one of those LED “Your speed” sign boards at 29 on the digital display then the LED board and needle speedo will both say bang on 30.

trevHCS:
Many many times a day esp it seems when in a truck that does 56.

Can be a pain if you let one pass by dropping to say 52 and then a whole bunch behind you decide to overtake as they can do a whole 53…but then they’ll do 53 for the next 20 miles. Do you then reovertake or just sit there.

Ah well, sometimes its easiest to do 50 and wear out the main beam. :slight_smile:

This. Depends on the situation, I’m limited to 52, so not many vehicles struggle to get past me!

The very fact that this question even needs to be asked speaks volumes sadly.

the maoster:

+1.

the maoster:

Yep, gone are the days when it just came as a natural reaction to have empathy with each other as truckers, let each other in, let each other out and all the rest of it …then the multitude of d/heads, car drivers with Class1 s. infested our job and spoiled it…and it weren’t THAT long ago either! :bulb:

If knocking the cruise off for a few seconds doesnt affect me, then why not. Not sure why though, it’s rare that its acknowledged anymore.

Apparently if Plod comes across this situation then both drivers can be done for creating a rolling roadblock :open_mouth: Or so I was told by a DCPC trainer a year or two ago… Can anyone shed any definite light on that notion?

Zac_A:
Apparently if Plod comes across this situation then both drivers can be done for creating a rolling roadblock :open_mouth: Or so I was told by a DCPC trainer a year or two ago… Can anyone shed any definite light on that notion?

I would love it that were the case. Maybe make them realise how poor a standard their driving is.Selfish ■■■■ heads. Not enough police around though unfortunately.

rsg1234567:

Odd days:
I tend to stick at 50. If they cannot get past me at that then it’s not my fault that they are driving a heap of ####.

50 !!! If you did less than 20 kms let alone miles below the road limit on the flat in CanAda youd get a ticket for impeding traffic…I would agree with them too…you are causing to many overtake maneuvers and are a hazard…you should at least have a flashing amber lamp at the back warning of a particularly slow moving vehicle

50mph the OP is talking about as opposed to 56mph. Not KMH which is where I think your getting confused.

Zac_A:

Technically yes, same as if a tractor driver with a big line of vehicles behind and they don’t pull in at a safe point, or keep passing those safe points without allowing vehicles past I think it’s something like driving without consideration for other road users. Can’t remember the wording but it’s true because I saw a case that made the news on BBC once for exactly that. So yes trucks doing the same thing will come under the same law that the copper used in the tractor case

jakethesnake:

Zac_A:

I would love it that were the case. Maybe make them realise how poor a standard their driving is.Selfish [zb] heads. Not enough police around though unfortunately.

All you have to do is watch a 4 lane section of motorway and watch HGVs in lanes 1 2 and 3 elephant racing with non of them backing off slightly to let the other one back in and taking 5 miles to complete an overtake forcing cars to only use lane 4 to make reasonable progress for their vehicle, and we wonder why we aren’t particularly liked on the roads?

Baldy91:
If im on a motorway , duel carrage way etc and someone is really struggling to get past then ill ease it off a little. But what i hate is for example when me and a truck have both for example come of a roundabout at the same time and im loaded and hes behind me and instantly goes to overtake me without giving me 60 seconds to get up to the limiter and then realises hes doing 53 and im doing 55 or exactly the same speed as me i will happily leave them in lane 2 all day long for not giving me a few seconds to get my speed up and for there blatant arrogance.

Yep. See what you are limited to before committing. That’s the only situation where I just think, tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case and others it generally depended on traffic.Deserted motorway at night on night trunking it didn’t really matter that much if there were only two trucks either caught in the catch 22 of having different gearing but close on power output in a mixture of flat and hilly terrain.Or after limiters were introduced creating the silly speed differentials which are causing all this havoc now.

I was following a truck along a dual, he was empty I had a light load. He did 30-35 between the first 2 traffic lights (50 limit) so I pulled out to overtake. The minute the light turned green the ■■■■ was 0-56 (and the rest) in a matter of seconds rubber burning everywhere

Obviously once I’m back in behind he is down to 30-35 again

^^^^ as often said here, so many out there at the wheel of lorries ain’t lorry drivers and won’t ever be as long as they have the proverbial rear orifice, they’re car drivers who spent a few quid on a few days course and landed a class 1, no interest or pride in the job no interest in lorry driving as such.

Always knock a couple of kms off to let them past. Doesn’t cost anything and it’s just common courtesy. Rarely have others do it for me though, most commonly done by eastern Europeans in Europe believe it or not.

switchlogic:
Always knock a couple of kms off to let them past. Doesn’t cost anything and it’s just common courtesy. Rarely have others do it for me though, most commonly done by eastern Europeans in Europe believe it or not.

Even though I fly on I can still tell when others knock it off and you’re right, the Eastie Beasties are probably the most likely to do it. Not that I need it, but the gesture is nice. Same with flashing in, mostly foreigners who do it, I’ve made it from Dover to Glasgow without being flashed in once, typical Beano attitude.

Anyone passing me is probably doesn’t have a limiter but I’ll knock it off if needs be.

I always back off, unless Im heavily loaded, going up a steep hill, so losing momentum. The highway code states that the onus is on the vehicle being overtaken to facillitate the passing vehicle. Naturally I flash them back in.