Dilemma......what would you do?

I did it with cardboard recently, and driven thru a VOSA checkpoint on Angle sea. Nothing was said.

What is the world coming to?

Think of the children,
Using a lorry without a number plate - someone could have died,
You could have upset world peace,
destabilized the government,
Call Parliament in for an emergency meeting,
Assemble Nato
Put the troops on standby,

Plan A - Crack on, tell plod some yobbo must have nicked it at the traffic lights,
and you would go into Halfords & buy a new one, but, Aha, can’t do that anymore without V5 and letter from the registered keeper to allow you to get one made up -
Another stupid modern day rule

I keep a roll of Yellow tape & black marker pen, often have to make one up,
usually tape over one that’s been left lying about around the depot

Seriously, Plod are a mixed bunch, one day you will get a proper type, who has a bit of common sense (dying breed)
another day you will get the 4r5eho1e who will quote chapter & verse and lecture you for about 30 mins whilst you are both standing in a dangerous position & holding up the traffic for 3 miles

£100 for a missing number plate is right.
Some old lady in her 4x4 got pulled on a recent cops programme. Plod though it was £50, but when he checked it was £100!
Cheers
Paul

NewbieNeil:
Was delayed prohibition maoster so 10 days to rectify the issue or it comes into force. Funnily enough I have a number plate good to go Monday!!

£100 is what it is. Didn’t argue just smiled, thanked him and left. No point entering a ■■■■■■■ contest as they hold all the cards.

Wasn’t doubting you mate, it’s just that (touch wood) I’ve not had any dealings with the authorities for over 20 years now and it seemed a tad harsh how you were dealt with. Hey ho, that’s modern transport I suppose.

As the fine would be mine, then I doubt I’d drive it without a plate.
Though most of the motors I’ve driven have a spare trailer plate in the locker as backup

the maoster:
Prohibition on the unit for a missing trailer number plate? Sounds like they found something else tbh. Also, £100 for no plate? Sounds a little steep to me, mind you it is coming up to Christmas and somebody has to pay for their do.

+1. I’ve been caught with no numberplate and it was a FPN and something like a £30 fine.

Always a problem when running with trailers off the docks, another problem is the variety of lenses and bulbs required to get a trailer on the road, within the law.
See a lot of square plates on two chains swinging at the back of some trailers, got pulled years ago outside Immingham as the plate could not be illuminated at night. Let off when found a long one in the side box, not my normal motor.

If VOSA are lurking about, go through the East Gate. Never seen them there.

confused by the post.

Surely it was there when you left ?

Or…

Sorry officer, some little scallywag must have nicked it at traffic lights. I’ll call my transport manager now and order a replacement. Thank you for being so helpful and pointing it out in during the working day.

whilst trying not to grin/laugh/blaspheem…

si-d:
confused by the post.

Surely it was there when you left ?

Or…

Sorry officer, some little scallywag must have nicked it at traffic lights. I’ll call my transport manager now and order a replacement. Thank you for being so helpful and pointing it out in during the working day.

whilst trying not to grin/laugh/blaspheem…

+1

trick is, to seem genuinely shocked and not smirk when saying it… “sorry officer, could have sworn the trailer had six tyres when I left. Well, that’s what happens when you stop at traffic lights in Slough”…

Conor:
I’ve been caught with no numberplate and it was a FPN and something like a £30 fine.

And so it appears Conor is not as perfect as he would have us believe … :laughing:

About time the UK caught up with what most other countries do and register trailers as a separate vehicle, therefore keeping it’s own plate, then no need to keep swapping it around.

Conor:
+1. I’ve been caught with no numberplate and it was a FPN and something like a £30 fine.

All fixed penalties that were £30 and £60 went up to £100 a few years ago.

I got a tug in Germany just because the trailer plate was the same as the unit, I thought the German police were more up to scratch than that, delayed for over an hour not that it made a lot of difference to me.

Glen A9:

Conor:

All fixed penalties that were £30 and £60 went up to £100 a few years ago.

And in a parliament select committee held last week they were discussing the merits of raising all fixed penalties to £500 or even £1000. seriously ! the idea being that people need to start concentrating and the £100 fine is considered by too many as worth the risk.

The debate is here
parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde … e078055225
and the bit about fixed penalties is the last speaker.

Is there nothing this bloody government will not do to take the last morsel out of the motorist’s mouth, and I speak for the motorist whether trucker or car driver !!

raymundo:
Is there nothing this bloody government will not do to take the last morsel out of the motorist’s mouth, and I speak for the motorist whether trucker or car driver !!

I think if anything like that was to come to fruit, then drivers would need new contracts with hauliers … £1,000 for minor indiscretions! they would need to start picking up the tab. couple of weeks work for a missing plate or faulty headlight.