Diesel v Petrol

A petrol engine is a producer of destructive ozone gas, but a diesel is much less damaging. Ozone is produced by the small sparks created by spark plugs. Diesel’s have no spark plugs and do not therefore pollute air with pale blue ozone gas. Politicians have no knowledge of the science associated with the atomic weights and molecular sizes of alien gases.

airproducts73:
A petrol engine is a producer of destructive ozone gas, but a diesel is much less damaging. Ozone is produced by the small sparks created by spark plugs. Diesel’s have no spark plugs and do not therefore pollute air with pale blue ozone gas. Politicians have no knowledge of the science associated with the atomic weights and molecular sizes of alien gases.

So are you saying that ozone in the atmosphere caused by lightning is a major health hazard to anyone in the vinicity of it.Let alone the fact that we produce loads of the stuff artificially for water etc purification purposes.All in much higher quantities than ignition sparks or even UV combined with petrol exhausts ?.

It gets really tiring to hear the same old let’s bash petrol by diesel users who want to go on using a dirty obsolete fuel.Just to supposedly save a few bob in fuel costs.When even that is doubtful on a like with like comparison of latest technology regards both engine types,let alone if the government rightly start hitting diesel with punitive taxation.When petrol and even moreso LPG is undoubtedly the cleaner option between the two.

That would be the relevant comparison.In which the health implications of diesel are far more established than worrying about naturally occurring ozone or even artificially produced ozone.Of which that produced by petrol engines is negligible by comparison anyway. :unamused:

envronozone.com/ozone_generator … rators.htm

cancer.org/cancer/cancer-cau … ancer.html

trucknews.com/features/breat … sel-fumes/

Carryfast:

airproducts73:

So are you saying that ozone in the atmosphere caused by lightning is a major health hazard to anyone in the vinicity of it.Let alone the fact that we produce loads of the stuff artificially for water etc purification purposes.All in much higher quantities than ignition sparks or even UV combined with petrol exhausts ?.

It gets really tiring to hear the same old let’s bash petrol by diesel users who want to go on using a dirty obsolete fuel.Just to supposedly save a few bob in fuel costs.When even that is doubtful on a like with like comparison of latest technology regards both engine types,let alone if the government rightly start hitting diesel with punitive taxation.When petrol and even moreso LPG is undoubtedly the cleaner option between the two.

That would be the relevant comparison.In which the health implications of diesel are far more established than worrying about naturally occurring ozone or even artificially produced ozone.Of which that produced by petrol engines is negligible by comparison anyway. :unamused:

envronozone.com/ozone_generator … rators.htm

cancer.org/cancer/cancer-cau … ancer.html

trucknews.com/features/breat … sel-fumes/

Ozone produced by lightning is harmless to mankind and wildlife. Ozone produced by sparks inside petrol engines is contaminated with other harmful substances after being subjected to extreme heat. Ozone produced by arc welders using electric welding rods is harmful if they should inhale it.

The motor car industry has spent huge sums of money over the last 60-years on perfecting the diesel engines fitted to modern cars. I cannot see many people giving their diesels the elbow in favour of petrol engines. There are many advantages and associated reliabilities associated with the use of a diesel.

If hauliers we to start using petrol engines again then a loaf of bread might cost us around 20-quid.

airproducts73:
Ozone produced by lightning is harmless to mankind and wildlife. Ozone produced by sparks inside petrol engines is contaminated with other harmful substances after being subjected to extreme heat. Ozone produced by arc welders using electric welding rods is harmful if they should inhale it.

The motor car industry has spent huge sums of money over the last 60-years on perfecting the diesel engines fitted to modern cars. I cannot see many people giving their diesels the elbow in favour of petrol engines. There are many advantages and associated reliabilities associated with the use of a diesel.

If hauliers we to start using petrol engines again then a loaf of bread might cost us around 20-quid.

Don’t you think that a lightning bolt creates ‘extreme heat’.While whatever residue is left over after petrol combustion is a lot less harmful to health than diesel.

seeker.com/is-lightning-hott … 58578.html

scientificamerican.com/artic … s-thunder/

As for perfecting diesel exhaust clean up yes we know like the VW emissions issue.In addition to the costs of purchasing and maintaining it all.While the end result is still a dirtier result than petrol is capable of.With very little difference in fuel consumption between the latest petrol designs v diesel.

As for fuel efficiency for commercial vehicles assuming LPG not petrol it’s a fuel costing around half as much for an actual overall improvement in efficiency when burn’t in the same engine.

papers.sae.org/2012-01-1983/

That’s all even before the government rightly start hitting diesel with punitive taxation measures to get the things off the road.Hopefully that will happen, before the government gets the chance to use dirty diesel fuelled engines as an excuse to ban all Internal Combustion engines thereby removing the choice for all of us.

I see this as DE-JA-vue. Does any one here remember when Edwina Currie opened her mouth and said that eggs were contaminated and we should all stop eating them?A lot of viable firms went under for no good reason.My 1.6 diesel car is very reliable and can do 50 mpg.Its just another tax.

Edwina Curry had fallen into the category of nuts. I have always been a great consumer of eggs, raw and cooked and am still standing as Elton would say!!!

Unfortunately petrol doesn’t give as good mpg over the life span I know a courier company that used log the engines blew up at 150k the petrol ones did 200k the desires that the subbies used were good for 400-500k miles that’s from first hand not anecdotal experience. You have to ask who drives older diesel cars that’s right people that can’t afford a new car so a scrappage scheme won’t work. However I’ve just bought a 58 people carrier and yes its diesel has the same engine as my 05 407 had so this 05 dispute having the same engine and emmisons will be classed as dirty while my 58 plate will be considered clean how the hell does that work then

This crazy government has said that pre 95 are the worst polluters, seems the rest of europe agree as London, Paris,Germany, Spain etc are all going to ban diesels from 2020 in their town centres ( maybe capitals ) which is a disgrace, London especially does not include the heavy polluting Taxis or buses…but will force transport companies to buy newer vehicles at great expense, whereby the government is going to review a scrappage scheme, so where will that leave you and me and pensioners…for a start i certainly cannot afford to buy a new car, nor will anyone give me finance for one…and seeing as they also said that cars like the fiat 500 are amongst the worst polluters anyway…whats the point… So i will continue to run my E 300 cdi mercedes, which gives me 45 miles per gallon, has recently passed an mot and emissions test, and is maintained by mercedes ( who so happens is one of the less emission production cars made ) its just another money making scam…ships, planes produce more emissions than i ever will…China is one of the biggest countries using coal fired power stations, and America is now saying up yours, were going back on the green deal ` and are going to keep using more coal, and re-open our coal mines to keep the workers…in work…and in my opinion, global warming is total ■■■■■■■■.

I am in complete agreement with Truckyboy. Those smug people with the electric cars make no emmissions at the point of use but the coal for the power station has to be transported from Russia and Australia etc. as we have plenty of coal but no mines unfortunately.

The UK Conservatives, when in Government, will create bans is order to later claim that they had created thousands or a million jobs. They care not about environmental impacts of their insane decisions or the medical impacts of climate changes upon their very own supporters.

ill just stick to diesel until they start selling laundered petrol in northern ireland as an alternative. :wink: