DHL assessment - KFC contract in Rugby

Also FWIW I think you’ll find they are indeed automatic transmissions. A semi-automatic still requires manual input to tell it when to change gear (and which gear to select). The Porsche Tiptronic was an example of a semi-automatic transmission.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well, I’m kicking myself right now…

Despite having not driven since Dec and having done the assessment in a much larger truck than I’ve ever driven, in busy traffic with no warm up, I drove excellently for the road part of the assessment.

However, I made a monumental ■■■■ up during my reversing manoeuvre. I reversed into the bay and upon getting out to check, saw I only needed a quick shunt. However, the problem was that I’d left it in drive so it wouldn’t start! This would normally be completely obvious to me as I’m used to having the gearstick between the seats, but with it being on the steering wheel controls and me being nervous I bloody fluffed it!

Examiner said he’d have passed me otherwise and to come back in six months. Don’t I just feel silly right now…

BigStu81:
Well, I’m kicking myself right now…

Despite having not driven since Dec and having done the assessment in a much larger truck than I’ve ever driven, in busy traffic with no warm up, I drove excellently for the road part of the assessment.

However, I made a monumental ■■■■ up during my reversing manoeuvre. I reversed into the bay and upon getting out to check, saw I only needed a quick shunt. However, the problem was that I’d left it in drive so it wouldn’t start! This would normally be completely obvious to me as I’m used to having the gearstick between the seats, but with it being on the steering wheel controls and me being nervous I bloody fluffed it!

Examiner said he’d have passed me otherwise and to come back in six months. Don’t I just feel silly right now…

That’s not your fault - that the assessor being a bellend.

All you didn’t know how to do was use that particular type of box.

Here is my confession - I learned in a Renault with that sort of box. And when I did my first shift I drove a Volvo with the exact same type of box. When I had a little crash on that first shift I called the office and told them I had broken the engine cos I couldn’t start it after. I had a few wagons having to wait for me to me recovered. Only when I was on the phone to Volvo service line did I work out I needed to put it into neutral. I promptly hung up and called back the office and told them I’d ‘fixed’ it.

Failing someone for being unfamiliar with the equipment is a ■■■■ move. I think you were treated badly. Silver lining though - you just got a swerve on about the worst job in driving :slight_smile:

Cheers man, that makes me feel better!

I was most nervous about the drive and it all went smoothly so I’m confident for my next assessment. I’ve been offered one with Palletways which is around £26k, so not the £13 p/h DHL were offering, but it’s much closer to where I live - DHL took me 1.5 hrs to get home!

Think carefully about what you have just avoided. You say it took you 1 1/2 to get home? Let’s look at the worst case scenario: 3 hrs travel, 15 hr shift; that’s 18 hr real-time shift. That leaves 6 hours time for you. A couple of hrs with the mrs/kids (I presume) leaves you 4 hrs to sleep! Do you feel confident driving on 4 hrs sleep? I know I wouldn’t! Like I say it’s a worst case, you may have just dodged a bullet.

Yeah, I think you guys could be right.

I’m going to chalk this down to experience and move on. Interestingly, I saw the assessors theory sheet and about 75% (well, at least 2/3) of the candidates on the list had failed at the theory stage!

I did look at a similarly paid Bidvest advert and decided not to apply after reading reams of bad reviews on here. Seems this would’ve been pretty much the same thing workwise.

Bidvest, brakes and the other free gym jobs are last resort jobs. Nobody seems to last long in them. Just use them for experience the way they use and abuse you.

BigStu81:
Yeah, I think you guys could be right.

I’m going to chalk this down to experience and move on. Interestingly, I saw the assessors theory sheet and about 75% (well, at least 2/3) of the candidates on the list had failed at the theory stage!

No surprises there - All of the question sheets I’ve ever seen appear to have been written by someone who has a poor grasp of written English, or who is attempting to steer the candidate into an all too obvious pitfall.

Anybody know anything about the BP contract in Lutterworth? Been invited to a DHL assessment there on Wed.

BigStu81:
Anybody know anything about the BP contract in Lutterworth? Been invited to a DHL assessment there on Wed.

I don’t know how many jobs are going there, but there are at least a dozen culina drivers from Lutterworth going for that one.

Ok, cheers for the heads up.

If this one tomorrow goes well I’ll try and keep the door open in case DHL falls through.

Well, I felt this assessment went well.

Was in an 18t rental auto with a knackered drivers seat which wouldn’t lock, meaning I had to sit bolt upright as it gave way when leaning back lol.

Test drive was literally only five mins around the estate and back with no reversing manoevres, but the assessor made it clear that drivers would be trained up so a bit of leeway there I’m guessing - was more to check I wasn’t a total nutter!

Assessor was a really decent bloke and it was a stark contrast to my DHL assessment where the agency hadn’t told the assessor I was a new passer, causing him go and phone them (presumably to complain). This chap said that as an ex-driver he takes pride in helping new passers develop into confident professional drivers and seemed supportive.

If offered the job, I’ll spend the first day in the yard learning the paperwork and safe tail lift/pallet procedures etc. Second day will be deliveries with the trainer accompanying, and third day will be more deliveries but with the trainer taking more of a back seat. He’ll then reappraise me in a few weeks to see where I need further development. As a new passer this all sounded very appealing to me and I don’t think it was all waffle as he mentioned that he’s the first in the company to do this role and is laying down the groundwork - i.e. is in his interest to do it thoroughly.

I was honest about my upcoming DHL assessment on Wed, but I’ve gotta say that I’m seriously considering taking this role if offered, despite being £10p/h rather than £13, as I think it’ll really help in giving me the necessary skills. When I told the previous DHL assessor I was a new pass he said “well I better show you everything now” and proceeded to show me how to operate the tacho, fridge, cooler report printouts, hydraulics etc, and reams of paperwork, and my first thought was “how the hell am I going to remember this all in a week’s time if I get the job and haven’t been shown since.”