Delivery of bus chassis in the 50 s and maybe 60 s

I remember living at the side of the A64 at east heslerton near Scarborough and seeing the chassis on the road to plaxtons in Scarborough the drivers wore helmets and waterproofs and it was only in the 80’s. :slight_smile:

Many years ago (late 50,s ) as ayoung lad i was travelling with my father and we had stopped at what was the Clock cafe at Scotch Corner, it was snowing and looking out of the window saw one of the chassis men pull on to the front. He remained sitting on the chassis my father said to a driver at the next table that he thought the bloke was in trouble so they went out to see if he was ok. They got out there and shouted for help and a couple of other men helped carry the man in, he had a long greatcoat on ,flying helmet with goggles and long gauntlets, the front of him was solid ice/snow and he couldnt move. Between them( the cafe owner and the drivers) they took his helmet/ coat off and i kid you not the man was Blue !! as a young lad id never seen anything like it. I found out later that he was suffering from advanced hypothermia and the cafe owner had rung for an ambulance and ended up taking him to Darlington hospital he did survive by all accounts, but what a way to earn a living !!!

Hi norfolk, Yes I can certainly believe the situation you describe, I worked at a craneworks on London Rd, Carlisle 1957-62 where at lunchtimes my mate and I both wagon daft used to stand outside the works and watch all the heavy transport heading north and south on the A 6 before the advent of the M6. Hundreds of Albion chassis came down throughout that period plus we saw lots of Leyland, AEC and Daimler bus chassis heading north to Walter Alexanders coach works first at Stirling then later to Falkirk. Reports appeared in The ■■■■■■■■■■ & Westmorland Herald frequently during the winter months of drivers arriving at The Jungle Cafe after traversing Shap and suffering from exposure.
Cheers, Leyland 600

It is certainly something that has stayed with me all these years, whatever they were getting paid it wasnt enough!!! talk about when men were men!

Moga:
Looks like Rodney of Only Fools & Horses,doing his moonlighting job.

you mean dave !! lol

Does anyone remember back in the 50s you used to see bus chassis being delivered by a driver with no protection against the weather not even a windshield if I remember corrrectly …the poor sods drove them in winter too I m sure such a practise would be illegal today I remember seeing Bedfords usually from their Luton plant.

I remember in the 80s seeing the single decker coach chassis being delivered up and down the M1, all open to the elements, with the driver wearing motorcycle leathers and a full face crash helmet :open_mouth:

agreed with bullitt, they were still delivered like this well into the eighties

Even i remember them coming out of Plaxton’s at scarborugh like that.

Bones:
Even i remember them coming out of Plaxton’s at scarborugh like that.

Our drivers used to take them into Plaxtons, and Duple at Blackpool. That would be when I worked for Ford in the late 70’s, early 80’s (God I’m old…).

I worked at Leyland in the repair shop, based at Chorley. Once had to take one from the main factory at Leyland back to our shop at Chorley. no problem there, only it was a left ■■■■■■, double decker chassis.
Now the double decker chassis was dog legged at the front to make extra room for the low entrance step of the body, so a right hand chassis, the n/s rail came in towards the driver, on a left ■■■■■■, it was the o/s chassis rail that came in.
This chassis that i’d picked up, was a left ■■■■■■ as I’ve said, but someone had put a right hand drive temp front framework & board on, so it wasn’t square to the centre line of the chassis, but over to the left.
now you’re sat up on top of this framework, with the front wheels actually behind you, I managed to get nearly back to the shop, concentrating on NOT driving by placing the temp framework where I wanted to go, but checking on my peripheral vision the location of the front wheels. All went well, until I got to the last street where I had to slalom through the parked cars, I inadvertantly when to using the framework as my positioning guide, crunch! :confused: I took out the whole side of a Cortina parked on the off side of the road, the front wheel nuts went down it just like a milling cutter! ripped the wheel & tyre apart, the front wing came off, and both doors were trashed!
took a bit of paint of the wheel nuts! :slight_smile:

Bristol buses and coach chassis were built at Brislingdon in Bristol. Most of them had their bodies put on in… Lowestoft - 265 miles away and were all driven there. Just been looking in a book I have. The chassis were delivered in batches of 3. The delivery run was used to test the chassis and one of the drivers was a tester who would adjust the settings as required - I wonder where he put his toolbox?

Thanks for the memories

Calv

From what I’ve seen today,aren’t the chassis carried double decked on a flat trailer?

I think Brit European do the bus chassis now, that reminds me, where is GB?

can still remember back in the 70’s and 80’s bus chassis coming out of the old british leyland site in bathgate…(long gone)… with the driver in his wee single seat. (plywood) and wrapped up against the elements and his open crash helmit and goggles on…

H & S nowadays you see them on double decks trailers … maybe SWAINS pulling them…

There’s a firm from Workington way, green DAF’s that carry them double decked, can’t remember the name though, see them going M/T down M40 alot.