Dedicated Truck Satnav showdown- The big three!

Haven’t tried any of them yet, but I’m leaning towards getting the TomTom. I’ve heard positive comments from several owners.

free on Google play.try it .does trucks etc

For the first 6 years of trucking I used a Snooper TruckNav, then decided on something else as I lost confidence in the device and the company. It was reccomended I go for the Garmin option and for the most part have been very happy with it.

It does have a few issues. For example, warns very late when there is a low bridge or other obstacle. It would be nice to show that information more when zooming in on a route that a road nearby has that low bridge. The Snooper managed it.

The traffic shaping is good and helpful but there are times I doubt it’s competence. It much prefers me to use motorways than dual carraigeways, which can be a pain and I’ve not found a way to change that, and sometimes it forgets about waypoints. But its still better than the Snooper and much nicer.

I’ve tried the TT in the past and didn’t get on with it, but a colleague has just copied me and moved across to a Garmin from a TT that was too old and slow to help him.

I would like to add that since I have connected by Garmin via bluetooth to my phone’s internet, the traffic is much better.

The TomTom Pro 8270 telematics.tomtom.com/en_gb/web … 270-truck/

It works well, tethered to my mobile whilst driving so constant traffic updates, re-routing etc when required as well as weights, height etc and lifetime updates of maps-four times a year. Not cheap but great kit.

I used a friends tomtom 6200 for a few weeks and I found it to be a nightmare with weight restrictions/bridges ect. Quite a few times it tried to take me in the brown stuff. I gave it back to my pal an went out and got the Garmin… I’ll post back once I’ve tried it out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Beetlejuice:
free on Google play.try it .does trucks etc

Navmeto is not free to use any more I think you get a 2 week try it

I did pay the £60 for a lifetime unlock and for the most part it is topnotch still has a few bugs but it is still a newish app

anyway Back on topic

not owning one of the above satnavs I can only go on what i see

Tomtom all ways like to take you down narrow roads from what I have seen

Snooper they are almost a brand you never hear of these days so can not really comment about how good they are

Garmin from what I have seen seem to be the best of the bunch at the moment although still a bit on the pricey side

Using a new tt 6250 at the moment,alongside my trusty snoop until I fully learn the new boys foibles and idiosyncrasies.Struggling to input postcodes on tt and would you adam n eve it,the bugger wont play ball ffs.A quick look on a tt forum reveals one disgruntled user not being able to use his tt because the device insists on a road name first,even though many roads don’t even have a name,especially it seems where the chap works in the rural areas of Welsh Wales.This is perturbing to say the least if correct.

I am about to venture back onto the road as a tramper, after a long period of on site shunting (6.5 years) and am therefore looking for suggestions or personal user reviews of individual sat navs. Thi is because I haven’t used one for a while and so much has changed , not just with the roads themselves, but the capability of the sat navs also.
Any information would be greatfully received .

Thanks to all in anticipation of your replies.

Pedro. :laughing:

Well having returned bk to driving hgv’ s I already had an old s6000 snooper easy 5 years old and because off that my kids chipped together and go me a new tt6250 !!!
First had to do an update (on super fast broadband at home) took the tat best part off 5hrs to do this ! So have it set up in truck with old snooper next to it ,
And with out a shadow the old snooper wins apart from the traffic info! The tat is a over rated , OVER PRICED piece off ■■■■ DNT GET THE TOMTOM ■■■■■■■■■

I’ve had the TomTom 6200 (same as the 6250 minus the lifetime traffic and cameras) for almost two years now and it’s never let me down or led me astray, you can enter just the postcode no matter what anyone else tells you and it’s never routed me down a weight limit or narrow lane. I can only assume that some people are not setting them up correctly before the journey if things are going as wrong as they claim.

Oh and the live traffic is outstanding.

I bought a 6250 then checked the status of lifetime,it had been limited to five years so i called Tom Tom to complain,they changed it ,so check your 6250’s about bit people.These people will do anything to rob us.

Great nav though.

I have a TT and quite like it, it always gets me there. The traffic funtionality is great and being able to set up ‘My Places’ from a pc or tablet is a great help. Check out exactly where you are going using street view on Google then just pont to the same place on the TomTom app.

It is sometimes a bit over cautious and will send you miles to avoid an ‘except for access’ restriction so local knowledge will (as always) save you time, but it wont get you in trouble.