Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Yesterday we did the reading for my annual TB test on my 36 steers and they went all clear which is a huge relief, you are never 100% of the outcome but all good, we had an amazing tester Jess, she is not a vet just does TB testing and is very hands on helping out every where, booked into Salisbury market now for Tuesday which is Christmas show day so hoping for a good day.
The picture below is of Dave Coombes who looked after my truck when I was an O/D, it was taken in the old TIP yard which was also home to STAR car transporters owned by Dennis White and his fleet was maintained by Dave also who hailed from Salisbury. He did his apprenticeship with Unit Commercials and then started on his own with an old Commer Cob van, those were the days were they not, no workshop just an old tilt sheet over some scaffold tube for shelter from the elements, very cold in Winter but the job got done, Buzzer

img155.jpg

Up at 0530am on Tuesday morning which is not normal for me, had me bowl of porridge and waited for the waggon & drag cattle waggon to go to Salisbury market who arrived at 0700 as arranged, had two mates to assist in loading using my little DAF to load back to back and this was all done in within an hour, he took 30 and me the last 6. Not a big entry of stores as fat stock show day and the stores started at about 1pm. My pure Charolais were split into sized groups, 5 biggest topped out at £1600 each 289 pence per kilo, not quite top for the day at the sale but very nearly and definitely highest ppk, followed by a group of 8 @ £1345 and the Angus which were slightly lighter made £1275 so a very reasonable day all in all.
Its turned cold and wet here today and my search now is for some replacements as plenty of silage left in the stack and some hard feed as well, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Up at 0530am on Tuesday morning which is not normal for me, had me bowl of porridge and waited for the waggon & drag cattle waggon to go to Salisbury market who arrived at 0700 as arranged, had two mates to assist in loading using my little DAF to load back to back and this was all done in within an hour, he took 30 and me the last 6. Not a big entry of stores as fat stock show day and the stores started at about 1pm. My pure Charolais were split into sized groups, 5 biggest topped out at £1600 each 289 pence per kilo, not quite top for the day at the sale but very nearly and definitely highest ppk, followed by a group of 8 @ £1345 and the Angus which were slightly lighter made £1275 so a very reasonable day all in all.
Its turned cold and wet here today and my search now is for some replacements as plenty of silage left in the stack and some hard feed as well, Buzzer[/quote

Evening Buzzer

Well you’ve had a good day at the auction John, makes it seem worthwhile when you have a good sell just read the market report and it makes good reading. If you want some replacements we have plenty, we are struggling for room so we were selling some smaller ones last week.
After weeks of rain we have now got a covering of snow not ideal but better than rain, been busy today blood testing, bolusing and PD ing with more to do tomorrow.
Jobs gone quiet on the work front, one of our concrete customers has been bought out so we have lost that work and the machinery has gone quiet. I was talking to a machinery dealer and he was blaming the interest rates for killing the job, fingers crossed the job picks up.

Cheers Wrighty.

wrighty:

Buzzer:
Its turned cold and wet here today and my search now is for some replacements as plenty of silage left in the stack and some hard feed as well, Buzzer
[/quote

Evening Buzzer

Well you’ve had a good day at the auction John, makes it seem worthwhile when you have a good sell just read the market report and it makes good reading. If you want some replacements we have plenty, we are struggling for room so we were selling some smaller ones last week.
After weeks of rain we have now got a covering of snow not ideal but better than rain, been busy today blood testing, bolusing and PD ing with more to do tomorrow.
Jobs gone quiet on the work front, one of our concrete customers has been bought out so we have lost that work and the machinery has gone quiet. I was talking to a machinery dealer and he was blaming the interest rates for killing the job, fingers crossed the job picks up.

Cheers Wrighty.

Have sent you a PM mate so have a look, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer

All go International week as we had one in Norway another in Finland one in Swiss & another in Slovenia so some happy drivers getting new experience, Buzzer

Buzzer

Dont recall seeing one of those Jones Balers before,intresting.

Going back a bit,pic was taken 2007.

Buzzer

412582395_3844620269100912_4435056126948524507_n.jpg

All washed off and lined up ready for the off in the new year, all hands on deckk for this but too many cooks springs to mind and not enough brushes for all to join in, then a wynd down in the rest room with a cup of tea and a mince pie still chewing the tarmac as they went, party Friday night before they all go home not as big as in years gone bye but joyeous, Buzzer

Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s not even funny now endless wind and rain, it’s getting too wet to travel with the quad in places surely there must be and end to it soon. It’s now our quiet time Yows in lamb (hopefully) and not much calving now until Feb, so a bit of a breather before lambing, finished driving now until the New year so now time for a relax.

May I take this opportunity to wish you and all the DIT family and the contributors and readers of this forum a Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2024, lets hope it’s a drier one…

Cheers Wrighty.

Seasons greetings to you & yours Wrighty, just come back from dinner with youngest son and of course its peeing down once again never any let up. Glad to see you are still doing a bit of driving but the job has got harder, we had a small bash for the drivers last Friday night and all but one made it, rare to be able to get them all together mind you there was still a lot of tarmac being chewed over you know how it is.
Still looking for some younger cattle but nothing found yet so we must keep on trying summit will crop up in the end.
Like you thanks go to all those who follow this thread and occasionally contribute, nice mix of transport and a bit of farming thrown in for good measure, here’s to a better 2024, Buzzer

A blast from the past blew into The homestead yesterday, worked for us 30 years ago but a good job always brings you back even if its just for a fleeting visit, over here from Montana USA with his Mrs who is a Diamond I might add catching up, dont time fly. He is shipping out not for us but back to his home on the 8th Jan, good to see you Steve & Molly safe trip home JD.

Bit of a flash back of internet, had to post this one Buzzer,

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Jones baler im sure is owned and looks like being driven by Mike Lawrence who years ago had a heavy haulage company based at Burnham on Sea, Somerset

Hi all, Buzzer looks like the Diamond Gezzer has put on a bit of weight like the rest of us. Happy and prosperous new year to all on here. :sunglasses:

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Talking about Gel On, Is he still with us ■■ Did see he sold out ? some wile ago to Turniski.

alpine:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Talking about Gel On, Is he still with us ■■ Did see he sold out ? some wile ago to Turniski.[/quote

No comprende, to who are you referring ?