Dashcam footage

Well I am not a professional driver and I go with the car driver is an idiot.if I was to guess I would say the truck driver saw the car on the slip but when it didn’t appear in front of him thought it had slotted behind.But the car driver even if they had made it would have been far to close for comfort.

Regardless of who is at fault, I would not be entering a motorway like the car driver did, I value my motor and my life , But this displays the mentality of a lot of drivers car and otherwise, tunnel vision combined with i have to get there now syndrome better a few seconds later than never

limeyphil:
Maybe the lorry driver could have anchored on, But what was he carrying? maybe it was safer not to anchor on?

Are you serious ? Whatever he was carrying, he should have driven accordingly, not up the aris of the lorry in front. He closed that gap whether by accelerating or not easing off when the bloke in front slowed a bit. The car drivers a twot as a lot are, but the lorry driver ? was worse.

Dafman:
The lorry driver did the correct thing, he didn’t move an inch and neither do I, you see this every day all the car had to do was accelerate and it is quite clear the car hit the lorry. You give way to the right, the car saw the lorry for a long time. And lmao at the two who said the lorry hit the car deliberately, come back when you have a bit of experience and you may see it differently

Is forty years enough experience for me to say that the lorry driver might not have hit the car deliberately, but he certainly deliberately let the car hit him !
I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve avoided potentially fatal smashes by easing off/ braking, etc. How about if that car had ended up in the next lane and caused others to be involved. The ‘might is right’ attitude that some on here have, really amazes me. Maybe an attitude/intelligence test for all drivers is needed before being let loose on the roads .

GasGas:
Broadband, TV Packages, TNT Sports & Mobile Deals | BT

quote >The video shows a heavy goods vehicle travelling along the inside lane of the M25 -1. below the mandatory 56mph limit for vehicles of that size - when a 2.Honda Civic tries to filter into the lane at a junction but fails to reach the correct speed …3…to squeeze in front of the lorry 4. and instead collides with the HGV.

1. Mandatory 56 ? ? The legal speed limit for Motorways is still 60 for that size of vehicle - irrespective of what `Speed limiter’ is set at.
  2. Honda fails to reach correct speed and filter in …driver error
  3. Squeeze in front of lorry ? driver error
  4. … and collides . Final driver error.

The outcome was inevitable , the result was lucky, poor judgement and reduced standard of driving.
Well done to the lorry driver for bringing it to rest in a controlled manner.
Goes to show , the camera can either work for you or against you :wink:

merc0447:
Right or wrong the car driver hits the lorry no the other way about. Maybe the lorry driver did see maybe he didn’t but one thing is for sure the car driver defo did see. Roads are full of these wallopers, no pity from me.

+1, no pity for car drivers from me…!

I don’t give way to these tossers because it only encourages them to continue driving in this manner,nice one! Should have their licence to cause havoc revoked!

DrivingMissDaisy:
I don’t give way to these tossers because it only encourages them to continue driving in this manner,nice one! Should have their licence to cause havoc revoked!

Your just as bad, with an attitude like that you really should be be driving a milk float

fleettraineruk:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Your just as bad, with an attitude like that you really should be be driving a milk float

Whatever teach!

This was discussed in March.It’s obvious that the problem was caused by the tuck driver tailgating therefore not leaving sufficient space for merging traffic and the road layout which put’s vehicles entering the slip road in that lane in a dangerous situation.If anyone thinks that video shows the truck driver as being blameless then they need to go to spec savers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97066&hilit=+CHEVRONS#p1422984

tachograph:

Dipper_Dave:
Horrendous driving, obvious the car was entering off the slip well before, so easy to avoid.
Yes the car should give way (and all that crap) but this could have ended a lot worse.

Driver should be ashamed to call himself a professional driver.

10 times + a day this happens to me and I avoid a drama by a simple act of easing off, heaven forbid I may even pop the brakes on to help.

Notice how the driver closes the gap early on realising whats about to happen.

Shocking.

The footage, captured on the lorry’s dashboard camera, meant that the lorry driver was cleared of blame for the incident and no insurance claim was made against him or his employers.

Bollox- sorry the driver maybe technically correct in his ‘I have right of way’ attitude but in reality he/she is a danger to other road users.

This ^^^

It goes without saying that the car driver was an idiot who needs to learn to drive, but why couldn’t the lorry driver knock back a couple of clicks to make the whole situation safe.

I’ve no doubt that the “he had right of way” brigade will disagree though :frowning:

+1

The ‘right of way’ mentality is that of an amateur car driver.

On a DC or motorway I’m looking ahead and if I see bridges, slip roads and other indicators of a junction, where traffic may join, I’m looking ahead to see what that traffic is likely to do and I’II happily pull out to ease traffic joining.

Some of these car drivers might be on their sole annual motorway journey to visit a relative. We spend our lives in them and if you’re the sort that want’s to ‘teach them a lesson’ all you’re teaching them is to think lorry drivers are pricks and the one they encountered that day was.

It was lucky the car didn’t spin from the front of the truck across the two other lanes.
The driver of the truck would have lost less time by easing off rather than standing on a hard shoulder swapping details.

The outside lane of these ‘on’ slips are usually very short and abrupt.The car had two options in my book.

1. Speed up and get up the back end of the container lorry (and not pull out and slow up to create a safe braking distance from the container lorry (which is what caused the collision)
  2. Abort the whole thing, cross the solid white and hatching to the near side lane - an experienced driver would have had an escape plan.It’s obvious the car driver was very inexperienced.
    It’s easy to sit here and say I would have done this or that, in reality,I would have instinctively braked.
    No collision is worth the paperwork involved :unamused:

We’ve been talking about this morning in the depot, and someone noticed the lorry in front as soon as it happens he reacts straight away. Obviously very good mirror work, he also pulls over to be a witness.

Dave55:
The outside lane of these ‘on’ slips are usually very short and abrupt.The car had two options in my book.

1. Speed up and get up the back end of the container lorry (and not pull out and slow up to create a safe braking distance from the container lorry (which is what caused the collision)
  2. Abort the whole thing, cross the solid white and hatching to the near side lane - an experienced driver would have had an escape plan.It’s obvious the car driver was very inexperienced.
    It’s easy to sit here and say I would have done this or that, in reality,I would have instinctively braked.
    No collision is worth the paperwork involved :unamused:

2 things though.

1, car mirrors aren’t as good as truck mirrors, some are worse than others, but all are pretty bad, especially as most passenger mirrors are aimed at the deck for people reverse parking against a kerb or to see the white line in shop car parks - which means if they’d took the ‘escape route’ as advised by you, by time they’d gone across the chevrons, the chances are they’d have ploughed into a car in the other slip road.

2, as Own Account Driver pointed out, it seems some on here expect car drivers to be as good as professional drivers. I’m an ok - good typist, but a professional will still run rings around me. I’m ok at building a garden wall, but a professional would do a better job. I’m ok - good at fixing my motorbikes or car but a professional is better. See where this is heading? We’re professional in driving - if not in mentality judging by some of the comments on here - and yet we expect an amateur to be as good?

I’ll admit, some car drivers don’t help themselves, reading maps, using phones, using laptops etc whilst driving, but some truck drivers do that too.

All I can say, is if any professional didn’t know that was going to happen, then they really should be ashamed of themselves and hand their licence back, it’s not like the car darted up the inside like an Audi or VW Passat (not a BMW though :wink: ) and caught him by surprise, it seemed quite a steady approach to me, and we’ve no idea what was behind that truck either.

Although the lorry driver was in the right “legally”. Professionally, It appears he was wrong. However, We can only assume he was carrying a nice stable load, He may have had his indicator on with a ■■■■■■ next to him not letting him out.
You may have noticed there was room for the car to get in if he had maintained his speed, He slowed down before hitting the lorry.
Most of us know what the car driver is going to do well in advance. It’s our job to know.
I’ve aften avoided accidents, The car drivers have no idea what they have done, Off they go without a care in the world.

Nice driving by the wagoner.

We can’t be expected to watch everyone on the road to make sure they aren’t going to do anything stupid.

I had nearly that happen to me once. Car made it in front of me & then I noticed a bonnet protruding from my bonnet! Que, WTF!

Silver_Surfer:
We can’t be expected to watch everyone on the road to make sure they aren’t going to do anything stupid.

Yes we can and we should. This footage is a great example to some here of how not to behave.

No but giving way to the right is a basic tenet of driving in the UK that every licence holder should know. There are far to many people out there, not just on motorway’s but also on DC’s who genuinely believe they have right of way onto the carriageway and sod anyone who is in the way.

This is pish poor driving from both and could, and should, have been avoided. I don’t believe the car driver couldn’t see the truck and should have changed their speed accordingly, speed up to get in or brake to get in behind. I don’t believe the trucker didn’t see the car coming up the slip road, surely it’s a basic skill to check a possible hazard area?. As he was apparently on his limit he had the option of slowing down, or moving out into the next lane, i was surprised he didnt as he was closing in on the truck ahead, it’s empty as nothing comes past even when they slow down, you can tell those behind could see what was going on as there is a truck coming past in lane 3, of 4, as they pull over.
Both got off lightly, I wouldn’t like to have been either if that car had been turned over or flicked into the 2nd or 3rd lane.