Darby's Sand and Gravel Co of Sutton, Cambs

norman long:
Second photo…shame about the glare from the flash…Norman

Somehow the first picture didn’t show, so here goes again…wish I knew what I was doing! I think the brown should be more like a maroon, similar to the Thurstons fairground lorries of the 1950’s. Also the tipper body should be steel, but it’s the only model of a Bedford OSBT that I could find. It shines too much…doesn’t look like it’s just left the pits! Let’s call it work in progress, and I’ll repaint it carefully. Now let’s see if I can upload the photo ? Norman

norman long:
Second photo…shame about the glare from the flash…Norman

Hi Norman hope I am not to late for this, only read your article on when you was a lad with your farther, at Darbys Off Sutton well I went through a similar experience as you, only bye the sound of it a little bit later, my farther worked for Darbys in the late 50s/60s his name was Eric Gipp and he worked a dragline 10rb at wimblington pit I remember all the the family getting into a Bedford I think A series and go to the pit, and take a pick nick, and go fishing while dad worked the dragline, my uncle was also his maintenance man his name was John Hobson, he went on to be transport manager for Jack Richards of Haddenham, I remember the house at the turning to the pit and the family who lived there were Mr & Miss Minent, I also remember dad telling us when he was digging part off the pit on the right at Block Fen Mepal, one off the tippers was reversing up to be loaded and went to far and went into the pit, dad swung the jib round and hooked the bucket behind the lorry and the driver got out, I think the drivers name was Nickels, I was 5 years old at that time and we lived at York Road, my grandfather also worked for Darbys sand and gravel his name was Jack Gipp I can remember when he drove the bus to pick all the workers up that was an old Bedford bus, he use to pick me up in the afternoon along Ely road and we would go all round sutton dropping these guys off, I would sit on the engine cove while grandad drive round, i think we have some pictures some were, hope this brings some memories