D.D NEEDHAM

Hi There
Peter was on F237, the F12, im sure it was a 400bhp model. Also im sure he was nicknamed Rambo :slight_smile:

i knew peter when he was at john dee’s, i am sure his nickname was bambi, a nice bloke, last time i spoke to him he was driving for some austrian outfit, lkw walters i think, this was a few year’s ago so i have no idea where he is now, top bloke though.

Peter was known as both Bambi & Rambo. I moved down to Derby 15 years ago, I hadnt seen Peter for a couple of years when I bumped into Him in Carisio one Sat afternoon. He was rat arsed!!! Had a top weekend (I think :confused: :confused: :confused: ) He was on for Answer of Ponteland then, be about 10 years or so. not seen Him since.

His cab was always immaculate, and would go mad if i was to leave finger prints in there :smiley:

Would that be a DD Needham F88 in the background?

look’s like an 89 for a company called, i think, fairweather, and again i think were from over great yarmouth way, like i said i think and i stand to be corrected, colour’s very similar to needham’s though.

The horizontal lines look the same and the same colours, but Needhams never had vertical lines as that does unless it was well before my time.

I found the photos from Needhams a few weeks ago whilst moving house, but havent got the scanner working on my PC yet. Ill try and get them done very soon :slight_smile:.

Wheel Nut:
Would that be a DD Needham F88 in the background?

ARCLID TRANSPORT,EAT YOUR HEART OUT !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the only pic iv found

howay then Ian , get them pics on, be good to see `em

Here s some ive found from Witton Castle and Pickering truck shows i think

good old pics, f7sidd,
i rem those reg nos very well, from when i worked for them as their fitter in early 90,s, I think D607 ended its days jack-knifed down nr Wheathrby, and E650 had been on its side as well near Prudhoe. Reckon it was only a few days old , and one of the 1st MkIII F10s in the area when it happened. F777 was the flagship when i was there , Good motor it was , also the 1st of Needhams to go over the water when they ventured into international movments, I rem one truck show where they were pipped at the post into 2nd place for best fleet by Marleys.

Wasn’t F777 JTY bought by GE Armstrong of Langley Moor when Needhams folded…just the reg seems to ring a bell…i could be wrong though.

Has anybody got any piccys of Armstrongs fleet as they always had a nice tidy fleet of Volvo’s.

nevcambell:
good old pics, f7sidd,
i rem those reg nos very well, from when i worked for them as their fitter in early 90,s, I think D607 ended its days jack-knifed down nr Wheathrby, and E650 had been on its side as well near Prudhoe. Reckon it was only a few days old , and one of the 1st MkIII F10s in the area when it happened. F777 was the flagship when i was there , Good motor it was , also the 1st of Needhams to go over the water when they ventured into international movments, I rem one truck show where they were pipped at the post into 2nd place for best fleet by Marleys.

i can remember when that one was rolled on the way to prudhoe,just up the road from where i live, was it on its way to kimberly clarks with waste paper on when that happened?

Heres a pic i forgot i had, taken in Trevor Butlers paintshop at South Moor Stanley but its obviously been one of Needhams

one of the sons told me that F777 was eventually sold for export, so i dont think it ever went to armstrongs
E650 was on its way to KCs with waste paper, apparently a trailer wheel brg had gone, Bob Tait and Walter sorted it, Leapy jimmy lee, said ill get there before closing ,,,,,,,rest is history that wreaker im sure was the one used by the volvo agent Taits of darlington when i worked there, I remember we took out the old tired 240 engine and put in a 290, but the swap was more involved , and if me memory is rite, it had to have a 290 cab fitted to take the larger radiator and a few more differences, and yes those stripes are definately Needhams
how old is the pic?, is the wreaker still there?
we used to run it on trade plates . 408PT

KevinG:
I used to get backloads of oil from Needhams down to Unipart at Honeybourne near Evesham. That was when I was running fruit and Veg to Gateshead market. Must have been late eighties to early nineties.

I also used to backload from Emlyn at Needhams, they were good folk like so many of the “old school " hauliers in the North East . I remember once being parked up with a Taits driver in about 1974, he had a 240 F88 with a Hoynor 36 ft tipping trailer which had fold down sides and a coil well ! I said " I bet that outfit weighs heavy " He replied " I can only carry 19 tons ,but I can carry 19 tons of ANYTHING !!” Talk about Versatility ,the keyword in any haulage operation. I also bought a 1972 F88 240 Volvo which was ex Swindells of Piercebridge Reg No RUP 940 K What a marvellous machine, anyone remember her?

deeline:
look’s like an 89 for a company called, i think, fairweather, and again i think were from over great yarmouth way, like i said i think and i stand to be corrected, colour’s very similar to needham’s though.

The said Fairweather motor, you can always rely on the Bubblemaster :stuck_out_tongue:

I just spent 4hrs digging around and found the photos here. I know a few are almost sort of duplicated but from slightly different angles, but i have put them on as well, as they may have something in the back ground that may be of interest for some viewers.

Its strange as all i do now is take photos for a living, and these are the only photos i have from leaving school and September 1998.

Hope all is doing well Nev, with my calculations, you must be in your mid 50s! :sunglasses:

H946 VRM
Scania V8 - 400BHP in Needhams garage

H946 VRM

D607 BEF and Trailer 56 being repaired after a jackknife

D607 BEF and Trailer 56 being repaired after a jackknife - and nimble the 40 tonne fork lift in the back that had no brakes

D607 BEF and Trailer 56 being repaired after a jackknife - and nimble the 40 tonne fork lift in the back that had no brakes

H946 VRM

F236
Volvo F12 with melly stood to the left hand side

F777 JTY
Volvo F12 - 400BHP
You cant see it on the scan there, but Andy Skelton (Skeleton) is just there on the left in the dark, but you just can on the original photo.

D607 BEF and Trailer 56 being repaired after a severe jackknife

I’ve just found this site as400-news.com, could I just copy the technical
data from the web site or do I need some kind of permission?. I’m doing a school project.

James