Confused about driver shortages

P Stoff:
Why is the employer always the bad guy? He offers people the chance to get their license with guaranteed work at the end. He doesn’t drive bent. He runs decent trucks. They can tramp or day work. His rates are comparable with everyone locally. Surely if someone give you a that opportunity, you should by your own morals, give them a couple of years of your services. This gives you the experience new decent employers might require and shows you won’t chop and change every five mins. If I was employer and I discovered he had trained and then done a bunk I wouldn’t employ him.

Why is the employer always the bad guy? Because that is the nature of the market mechanism, to replace good guys with bad guys, replace good pay and conditions with bad, and to reduce all relations to a cash nexus.

To give an alternative perspective though, it’s possible the root of the problem is the nature of some fridge work - shunting between bleak RDCs along bleak motorway routes, with a lawnmower engine droning and spluttering next to your ears all day.

It’s possible the trainees are giving the employer the benefit of loyalty in that they stay as much as six months doing this, whereas the average old hand plucked from the market would be gone within the week.

This is a more likely explanation if they’re moving jobs to go into non-fridge work.

There is no back story. Seems he’s wasting his time trying to help.

Guess me and him are old school.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is a shame that one cannot be “Honest” without being preceived as a Skinflint.

Perhaps the jobs of the future - will be “cash-poor” but “Perks Great”?

Look at the perks one gets as a Tube or Train driver for instance, compared to the dross lot of a Bus driver?

Perhaps Supermarkets in the years to come - will make a big thing out of “One-stop Shops” where one can get the weekly big food shop in at subsidized prices…?

Earning £100pw less than at your bosses competitor firm - makes more sense IF your firm can save you Well OVER £100 per week on your regular outgoings…

Then there’s “Utility Perks” - where you can have a lot of fun as (in this case) “An Electrician with the Company picking up your domestic Electricity tab”… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

(Warning: Contains everyday Estuary Profanity, especially five minutes in when they cause a local power drain in the local street…)