Class 2 training booked any tips? Test result now included!

Peter Smythe:
As it wasn’t an emergency you should have waited:

[/If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
quote]

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry been a busy couple of days , cool thank you very much for the advice :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

Its that time again, day 4 of training today! Last day so no mistakes can be made today, last day to sort out any problems I have before that perfect drive I have to perform tomorrow :slight_smile:.

Training a little later today started at 10.30am until 2pm, so traffic a little lighter and easier to drive (I hope). So first off I get to the training centre, today I have a different instructor called Robin. He seems like a nice chap quite an older fella so he has old fashioned method’s and ways of doing things as I learn throughout the drive, He has a nasty cold as well so is a little grumpy (I hope he’s not reading this :smiley:).

I start off driving, he doesn’t say much and in my head I pretend that he is the examiner and really test myself. This worked great because I had not met him before or anything so seemed like a great idea to me. He is talking to me how an examiner would as well so I drive for around an hour until we reach the test centre we drive in there and park up. I think I have driven really well, no hesitation at roundabouts, no kerbs clipped and no one cut up or killed :slight_smile:. “Really good drive Ashley just a few bits to go over nothing major just a couple of things” (Hooray he talks! :smiley:).

During my drive he kept telling me to move it on and hurry up ect which I did not like at all because I felt I was going the right speed for the situation’s I was in I don’t like being rushed, then later on he tells me I drove some situations too fast! It seems like I cant win here :stuck_out_tongue:. First of all when passing a parked car I passed it too quickly apparently, I didn’t think I did but if that’s what he is saying I clearly did. Next off I passed a postman’s van I came out lovely did all the right things but when I moved back in I forgot to check him back in! (I know silly mistake I only did it this once wont be doing it again). Everything else not a problem so I start her up and drive on.

I pull over a couple of times and pull away again, some on a uphill gradient some downhill all fine no problems at all. Next off I drive through Botley I pass a thin piece of road with a wall on the edge slowly like advised by the previous examiner the next bit of road further ahead I have been previously told to take the whole road as it is a little narrow. So I go to indicate out and take the road like usual, Robin is not happy with this and says I shouldn’t take the whole road. So one trainers telling me one thing another telling me a different thing that’s the problem with having different trainers I suppose but you do gain more knowledge and understanding this way I believe.

Next off I just carry on driving through many tight turns and roundabouts which I complete successfully. I don’t clip any kerbs at all, I am using the method that Reg taught me about pointing the nose out this seems to be working every time for me. Also Robin directs me past many restrictions to which I avoid all of them as I know where they are now :slight_smile:.

We then end up back at the test centre again! (He seems to like it here obviously) This time he gets out goes to the toilet tells me to grab myself some food and drink from the burger van opposite. I don’t go get anything as don’t want to eat and drink as I feel fine and if I drink anything I will be peeing all the time :stuck_out_tongue:. I do get out and stretch my legs though, good job I did in fact because he was gone for 15 minutes! Robin strolls back yawning away like he has done all morning and I jump in and we run through some show me tell me questions.

Then off we drive an hour left to go and he says we will start heading back to the training centre (I’m thinking already. really we will be back real early I was ten minutes late out waiting for him then stopped for 15 minutes now were going to be back half hour early). But driving back we drive back all through narrow roads so takes a long time. While driving back he is actually closing his eyes and pipes up every noun again where to go (No he is not closing his eyes because my driving is that bad just because he is so relaxed I am guessing :S).

Before I know it we are nearly back at the training centre, here’s where Robin explains the cold he has got kept him up all night last night and he is shattered. Now that explains why he was resting his eyes between turnings and just letting me drive he must really trust me lol! We pull up and its actually 1.50pm so not too bad only ten minutes early, I go in and double check the board which confirms what I already know, in at 7am tomorrow test at 8.45am :S. We sit down and briefly go through the paperwork and write down some points to consider tomorrow. Which are, to consider my speed when passing parked vehicles and when not being able to see what’s coming around the corner always expect a massive arctic to come around and you will have no problem :slight_smile:. Next to watch my distance when stopping before parked vehicles obstructing the road as I was quite close on one occasion. Other than that a very nice drive, Robin shakes my hand and says he will see me tomorrow.

Test day has fast approached! Tomorrow is the day I am slightly nervous but at the same time very excited, I cant wait. Read in tomorrow to find out my outcome hopefully its positive fingers crossed, Hopefully there’s no ■■■■■■■■■ on the road tomorrow and I will sail through! Sorry todays log is a little brief as I did not have long to write it up. speak to you all tomorrow!

That was brief/long enough! :smiley:

Again it sounds like it went really well, even if you do sound like you would have like a bit longer behind the wheel today… I suspect that the slight inconsistencies with what the 2 different trainers have told, you are just minor differences of opinion, and nothing major to get concerned about. No 2 instructors agree all the time, you only have to look here to see that (No names! :smiley:)

Best of luck tomorrow, and look forward to hearing that on the test drive, you were relaxed, patient, un-flustered, confident, and passed with ease! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice read again…
Good luck tomorrow.

Worth highlighting one thing you brought up - different instructors having different takes on certain situations. From what I have experienced that also applies to examiners. They have their pet peeves and things they like doing a certain way. To me that is wrong and they should be consistent across the board - but I guess we are all human. Be interested to hear any input from the trainers reading this…

Jon

Good luck tomorrow Ash, read this from then first day some good tips in it

Evil8Beezle:
That was brief/long enough! :smiley:

Again it sounds like it went really well, even if you do sound like you would have like a bit longer behind the wheel today… I suspect that the slight inconsistencies with what the 2 different trainers have told, you are just minor differences of opinion, and nothing major to get concerned about. No 2 instructors agree all the time, you only have to look here to see that (No names! :smiley:)

Best of luck tomorrow, and look forward to hearing that on the test drive, you were relaxed, patient, un-flustered, confident, and passed with ease! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yeh would have liked a bit longer behind the wheel today it was just like he was bored of seeing me drive because I was doing nothing wrong so kept stopping lol.

Crusher75:
Nice read again…
Good luck tomorrow.

Worth highlighting one thing you brought up - different instructors having different takes on certain situations. From what I have experienced that also applies to examiners. They have their pet peeves and things they like doing a certain way. To me that is wrong and they should be consistent across the board - but I guess we are all human. Be interested to hear any input from the trainers reading this…

Jon

Yes they should all be fair but some have examiners have different opinions I guess? thank you hopefully all goes well :slight_smile:

hughfraser:
Good luck tomorrow Ash, read this from then first day some good tips in it

Thank you , I hope it has been beneficial for you if you have any questions feel free to pm me anyone :slight_smile:

Great blog again :smiley:

I have one bone of contention - you have had at least 3 different instructors and in many cases that does not go well for the trainee but as you seem to be a natural it is not bothering you at all - good for you but is this their usual practice I wonder …

I think most trainers would agree that apart from perhaps taking to test or retest it is best for the trainee to stick with one instructor as each can have a slightly different way of doing and saying things - it keeps it all consistent

If you do not pass then you will have done something completely out of character

ROG:
Great blog again :smiley:

I have one bone of contention - you have had at least 3 different instructors and in many cases that does not go well for the trainee but as you seem to be a natural it is not bothering you at all - good for you but is this their usual practice I wonder …

I think most trainers would agree that apart from perhaps taking to test or retest it is best for the trainee to stick with one instructor as each can have a slightly different way of doing and saying things - it keeps it all consistent

If you do not pass then you will have done something completely out of character

Yep that’s my third instructor, I don’t know why I have had different ones to be honest with you. although they all seem nice ect but they have there different ways of teaching so could cause confusion with some trainees. I would not think this is there usual practice as seems a little strange but I belive they are a great company (Learn to start LTD if anyone’s interested) I hope I don’t act out of character I don’t tend to get too nervous im quite good at keeping myself calm lets hope I can do that tomorrow :slight_smile:

Don’t leave us hanging Ash… :smiley:

NO SKIPPING JUST TO THE RESULT YOU DODGY PEOPLE :wink:
Ok so test day has arrived!

Here we go the usual setup for today, alarm goes of far too early for my liking 5.15am! I had a good nights sleep I tried not to think about what was looming over me for the following day. So I drive down to the training centre eating my biveta Weetabix forest fruit biscuits as usual (these wake you up and slowly release carbs so a good food to eat early in the mornings).

I arrive at the training centre and have Robin for the little bit before my test this morning. He finally turns up I am already running the engine with checks completed and ready to go. While I was waiting I was going over show me tell me questions to familiarise myself with what I should be saying.

So off I go about an hours training before test I drive as normal I feel, but a little nervous, Robin senses this and tells me to relax and just drive how I did yesterday (Easier said then done). So I drive on I miss a mirror check and am not getting up to speed quick enough this mornings not going to well so far :frowning:. I drive around Botley and head for the test centre for 8am (A little early I know but I think Robin is just sick of my driving so we go there early :stuck_out_tongue:). Luckily enough the gate is closed so we go for a little drive and end up back at the test centre for around 8.25am.

We go in and Robin is quite friendly with the examiners so goes and sets the cones up for the reverse for them and I just watch nervously. The examiner turns up and introduces himself as Aaron. He seems like a nice friendly guy but my opinion of him might change after the test :smiley:! Aaron goes out and adjusts the cones slightly until he is happy he then tells me to get in the lorry and begin my reverse. I start her up and edge towards the cones, he then waves me on and I begin my reverse. I ease her up to the front cones go to check my mirror to see how close I am to them, ■■■■! The bloody trainer his left his sun visor down and I cant see the mirror so I just hazard a guess! I reverse back, ■■■■ I haven’t adjusted my mirror so I can’t see all of my drivers side wheel very well I will just have to hazard another guess and wing it. I am now feeling like a moron I edge it back in to the bay slowly and go back as far as I feel comfortable using the mark on the mud guard. I get out and check, Bam! I have successfully winged it and got it in to the bay correctly, I am so lucky.

Now for my show me tell me questions he asks me 5 in total, don’t ask me what he asks me because it is a complete blur and I remember nothing! :smiley: Right now on to the drive. Leaving the test centre is a busy junction I sit here for around ten minutes then finally some nice gentleman flashes me out in an acardo van (Go him what a legend). Then after that its a little bit of a blur :smiley: I know I drove through Botley and avoided a couple of restrictions. I pulled out on a roundabout really quick to avoid cutting up a van, it was close but I executed it just about lol.

Next off I pass the college and lots of parked cars here so I ease my way through gently and slowly I do fine here. Next off I go on to the m27 and drive for one junction, here I join and the slip road merges with the motorway so you don’t have to join, until bam! you now have to join the motorway this is where I muck up and signal late but luckily there was nothing by my side or I would have been doomed!

Now I arrive back at the test centre, wow that went quick! I know I have missed lots out but I cant actually remember where I went or what happened haha. The hour has flown by and now its result time. Hmmm how do I think I’ve done well I am not sure it was a little dodgy in places but I feel I drove well. “Well done you have passed”. Great news! exactly what I wanted to hear, I passed with 3 minors I don’t even know where they were or what I did but I don’t care I’ve passed yay!

Well done, some of us ocado van drivers are decent :slight_smile:

So eating breakfast while driving, winging it, and not remembering what happened. You will be a natural trucker! :smiley:

Congratulations on passing, and thanks for the detailed daily diary. I’m sure it’s a great help to all newbies!

Now go get a job!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

nomininolife:
Well done, some of us ocado van drivers are decent :slight_smile:

Thank you, yes some drivers are especially when they see you on test I would like to think some people are more courteous but that’s not normally the case as they just see a big lorry and cant wait to get passed it!

Evil8Beezle:
So eating breakfast while driving, winging it, and not remembering what happened. You will be a natural trucker! :smiley:

Congratulations on passing, and thanks for the detailed daily diary. I’m sure it’s a great help to all newbies!

Now go get a job!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Umm while driving I don’t know what your on about I pulled over at select intervals to eat them one a t a time :smiley: I normally remember everywhere I go but completely blank lol I am afraid to tell you i have my class one booked for 5 weeks time :stuck_out_tongue:

Very well done Ash. I hope you keep us updated on your class one as you done on your class two.

Great read and well done on your pass. How long are you going wait to do your class 1?

hughfraser:
Very well done Ash. I hope you keep us updated on your class one as you done on your class two.

thank you very much , i will do mate don’t you worry you cant get rid of me that easy :slight_smile:

tim-boi:
Great read and well done on your pass. How long are you going wait to do your class 1?

Thank you I am booking it for the 27th of July hopefully so a good 4 weeks in between easily enough time for my licence to come back :slight_smile:

Is ROG asleep tonight by any chance I thought he would be all over my result :frowning: :cry:

ash 001:
Is ROG asleep tonight by any chance I thought he would be all over my result :frowning: :cry:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ … Eh !! What■■? … :wink:

:smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

ash 001:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ … Eh !! What■■? … :wink:

:smiley: :smiley:

Haha thank you ROG hope I didn’t wake you :wink: Now for the class one :S scary stuff