Car transporter job without experience

Andrejs:
If I understand correctly most or near all car transporter do tramping.

Many do, but not all by any means.
Just like other sections of transport there is every work practice you can imagine, as the UK is now in 24/7 364 days of transport.

I’ve worked nights, days, had my full share of night out tramping and spent several years mostly delivering to my own area out of an RDC and didn’t have a night out for 5 or more years, which suited me because i hate them.
Tramping isn’t easy due to the vast majority of cabs being cut down versions due to car over the cab.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=152101&hilit=spain+transporter

Probably too late, but maybe this`d tick some boxes for Andrejs?

Juddian:

kcrussell25:
www.cv-library.co.uk

That jobs based Doncaster but they are frequently advertising at Wisbech as well if anyones interested. Doesn’t mention hours just that its Monday to Friday. £31k+ for 7 car and if you deliver more will earn more.

Doesn’t ask for experience and even offers to train for Class 1 after qualifying period.

I have been driving 6 months. I think in another 6 I am going to give them a call and see what they say

Sod it mate, strike while the iron’s hot, get in touch now and good luck.
We’ll be out of winter in another 6 weeks, it’s a laugh in the summer and by next winter you’ll be up to speed.
Overall i enjoyed my transporter years.

I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that yet. Though after what you have said I might wait another year to go into it in spring time

The BCA guys do earn a lot more. Or can earn a lot more perhaps I should say. All made up of different rates and top ups depending on how much you do but if you’re prepared to work and can do so without creating much fuss or much damage (most importantly) it’s not unheard of for a driver to take over a grand a week home.

kcrussell25:

Juddian:

kcrussell25:
www.cv-library.co.uk

That jobs based Doncaster but they are frequently advertising at Wisbech as well if anyones interested. Doesn’t mention hours just that its Monday to Friday. £31k+ for 7 car and if you deliver more will earn more.

Doesn’t ask for experience and even offers to train for Class 1 after qualifying period.

I have been driving 6 months. I think in another 6 I am going to give them a call and see what they say

Sod it mate, strike while the iron’s hot, get in touch now and good luck.
We’ll be out of winter in another 6 weeks, it’s a laugh in the summer and by next winter you’ll be up to speed.
Overall i enjoyed my transporter years.

I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that yet. Though after what you have said I might wait another year to go into it in spring time

Fair enough mate, but to me you sound like you have your head on straight, don’t forget that we arn’t talking new or nearly new cars here, unless damaged, so those odd tree scratches and the ding you put in the door getting out arn’t the disasters they can be on new, or nearly new, prime auction or current rental shifting.
Definately spring is the best time to start, giving you all summer to crack the job :sunglasses:

I’d love to give it a go but I’d need to know exactly what I was earning as a minimum to give up what I’m doing now.
Do companies like bca etc pay sick pay?
My place at the mo (not driving) pay it from day 1.

I can t to many car transporter at ferry.Most do just delivery inside UK or do Eu as well to much?

I see yesterday some job advertise in Swindon.Whey want if drivers do 6week on 2 off.They stay in truck for 6 week and do just UK job?

Class2ldn:
I’d love to give it a go but I’d need to know exactly what I was earning as a minimum to give up what I’m doing now.

Best stay where you are then if that really matters to you.

Class2ldn:

Dunno, never taken a sick day in me life, the cars are usually high productivity jobs where shifting metal earns the company, and the driver, money.
Sitting on one’s arse cos they have a cold doesn’t keep such operations profitable, and the company being profitable is in everyone’s interests, no profit no operation no large wedge trousering.

As for pay, well most companies operate some sort of piece work scheme even if its in additions to a basic (might even be minimum) wage, where the more metal you shift (as said upthread, undamaged) the more you get paid, Toonsy has already mentioned what sort of money can be earned at one of the companies, but be assured bods taking that sort of wedge home are earning every bloody penny of it and then some.
What you earn depends to a great extent on your competence, work rate, and how useful/reliable you are.

I’ve never been asked before about sick pay on the cars, are you sure this is the working environment for you.

TiredAndEmotional:

Class2ldn:

No of course not but I’d be taking a pay cut if I did it so I’d need to weigh up all the differences.
Only really thought about it as a mate has just started with a firm and they don’t pay it atall regardless of length of service and when you’re in a very unionised industry like I am now you sometimes you forget about the small things like that.

Juddian:

Class2ldn:

Dunno, never taken a sick day in me life, the cars are usually high productivity jobs where shifting metal earns the company, and the driver, money.
Sitting on one’s arse cos they have a cold doesn’t keep such operations profitable, and the company being profitable is in everyone’s interests, no profit no operation no large wedge trousering.

As for pay, well most companies operate some sort of piece work scheme even if its in additions to a basic (might even be minimum) wage, where the more metal you shift (as said upthread, undamaged) the more you get paid, Toonsy has already mentioned what sort of money can be earned at one of the companies, but be assured bods taking that sort of wedge home are earning every bloody penny of it and then some.
What you earn depends to a great extent on your competence, work rate, and how useful/reliable you are.

I’ve never been asked before about sick pay on the cars, are you sure this is the working environment for you.

Listen I’m not some soft arse who takes 3 weeks off for a sniffel, been off lately with an injury so it’s made me think about that sort of thing more aswell as what I posted above. Would love to give it a go so just trying to weigh it all really. It’s not a deal breaker.

Class2ldn:

TiredAndEmotional:

Class2ldn:

No of course not but I’d be taking a pay cut if I did it so I’d need to weigh up all the differences.
Only really thought about it as a mate has just started with a firm and they don’t pay it atall regardless of length of service and when you’re in a very unionised industry like I am now you sometimes you forget about the small things like that.

If you’re taking a pay cut to go on cars which is one of the best paid parts of the industry I think you are probably best staying where you are.

kcrussell25:
If you’re taking a pay cut to go on cars which is one of the best paid parts of the industry I think you are probably best staying where you are.

He is looking at his first class 2 job on cars which is bound to be at the bottom of the pay ladder for cars.

In the process of my class 1 as we speak. I know I’d have to get some more driving experience on artics but I’ve been driving large vehicles for 10 years but last few years only on and off. We are moving to Gloucestershire soon so that’s why I’ve been thinking about going back driving as where we want to move to is not the best for my current work.
Like I say I don’t mind a pay cut but to me I don’t see why someone who’s doing the job 1 week should be earning less than someone doing it 10 years. It’s the same job, if they earn more because they put more in fair enough but you’re either qualified to do the job or not so paying someone less I don’t agree with just because they are new.

kcrussell25:

Class2ldn:

TiredAndEmotional:

Class2ldn:

You say best pay but that’s not what’s been posted on here is it. 30-35k isn’t the best pay in the industry and if it’s a lower rate to start then I don’t agree with that.
Like I said above once you’ve trained you can either do it or not, I know it’s a constant learning curve and yes someone will have more experience, be quicker etc but that doesn’t mean they should be on more money then someone doing the same job.

But moving 7 cars worth £100 that don’t sell at auction to scrap yards is different to a guy moving 10 brand new Aston Martin’s. That’s why some earn 30k and others are on a lot more.

Class2ldn:
In the process of my class 1 as we speak. I know I’d have to get some more driving experience on artics but I’ve been driving large vehicles for 10 years but last few years only on and off. We are moving to Gloucestershire soon so that’s why I’ve been thinking about going back driving as where we want to move to is not the best for my current work.
Like I say I don’t mind a pay cut but to me I don’t see why someone who’s doing the job 1 week should be earning less than someone doing it 10 years. It’s the same job, if they earn more because they put more in fair enough but you’re either qualified to do the job or not so paying someone less I don’t agree with just because they are new.

I went straight to class 1 with no experience of large vehicles.

When I first started it took me 60-90 minutes to sort my paperwork, vehicle checks get trailer and out the yard. Now its 30-45 minutes.

I was 5-10 minutes reversing on a bay to start. Now I am (usually!) much quicker. Whist I see your point about doing the same job if someone can do it quicker/better surely they should be rewarded for that? Particularly in a job like the cars where time saved by being experienced might be the difference between getting an extra load in or not

The better you are at a job the more money you should be paid. Simple.

mrginge:
But moving 7 cars worth £100 that don’t sell at auction to scrap yards is different to a guy moving 10 brand new Aston Martin’s. That’s why some earn 30k and others are on a lot more.

No I get that but it sounded like within companies people were getting different pay. If that’s the case then my apologies, got the wrong end of the stick