Car transporter drivers making a meal of reversing

merc0447:
If you’re talking about Carlise truck stop then it can get pretty packed in there and there is no lightning either. Shows good prudence to get out and check. Especially one you have a 30k car hanging off your arse :laughing:

Get on with you , packed or not its not tight in there , there’s loads of room and that’s wi th all the revamping going on in there .

:wink: :laughing:
[/quote]
Bugger…whirr tick tock rumble sizzle clatter brrrrp …ping!!! that’s it me mind or whats left of it has done it’s poor best.

Fortunately having viewed the evidence carefully through my trusty crystal ball i have come to the conclusion our intrepid skilled honest-as-the-day-is-long-guvnor handsome and well hung :open_mouth: transporter driver, they’re all like that doncha know :sunglasses: in their dreams :frowning: , was probably driving a Scani of around 06 plate vintage, he would most likely have the three pedal Opticruise box so would in fact have manual control over the clutch, now whilst not as good as a real gearbox, which could be an Eaton Twin Splitter (a full and detailed explanation of which will follow shortly :wink: which i know you’re all itching to learn about :smiling_imp: ) or a standard Fuller Road Ranger (never fear i’ll wax lyrical about that one too if you ask nicely :angry: ), or even a Spicer Splitter for the bravest amongst us, it would have given our hero infinitely better close control than any offering from the usual Scandinavian suppliers and a thousand times better than the utterly hopeless Arsetronic gearbox of doom could ever provide.

I’m so sorry RobRoy me old mate, i don’t know what came over me there, please accept my humble apologies for not helping to further the aims of the anti automatic league, i promise to endeavour to do better in the future.

And if anyone’s still reading this they’re as bloody daft as i am.

:laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
Oi,
You forgot to mention that super slick Allison semi auto thingymagig gearbox…I won’t say I drove one once…more like I played till I found a gear and it moved ! It was in an old International ( If I remember correctly ) in NZ . Christ knows how I got to the destination. If anyone knows about the black art of throwing the bones on the floor to get it to work I would find it interesting. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

AlIison semi auto? I remember an embarrasing episode with a girl called Allison which involved only a semi, but that’s about all. :smiley: (I’m sounding like Dipper ■■■■ Dave now ffs :blush: )

I’ve had the dubious pleasure of all the boxes Juddian was on about, but you have got me there mate.
Worst one I have used is an old David Brown box in an old Atki, that was a ■■■■ education I can tell you. :unamused:

I’ve never been on transporters, but I can imagine that peak being a bit of a problem and an important consideration for both reversing and tight corners in town.
I get out regular when reversing a standard motor, it is common sense, so I can not see why it is a problem in dozyworld to periodically check a transporter.

robroy:
AlIison semi auto? I remember an embarrasing episode with a girl called Allison which involved only a semi, but that’s about all. :smiley: (I’m sounding like Dipper [zb] Dave now ffs :blush: )

I’ve had the dubious pleasure of all the boxes Juddian was on about, but you have got me there mate.
Worst one I have used is an old David Brown box in an old Atki, that was a [zb] education I can tell you. :unamused:

I’ve never been on transporters, but I can imagine that peak being a bit of a problem and an important consideration for both reversing and tight corners in town.
I get out regular when reversing a standard motor, it is common sense, so I can not see why it is a problem in dozyworld to periodically check a transporter.

We had an Atki …with that box that belonged in a tractor, I agree with you about it.
I was a lover of twin splits too ! As for getting out to look …that is just sense by a proper driver especially in the dark

robroy:
AlIison semi auto? I remember an embarrasing episode with a girl called Allison which involved only a semi, but that’s about all. :smiley: (I’m sounding like Dipper [zb] Dave now ffs :blush: )

Worst one I have used is an old David Brown box in an old Atki, that was a [zb] education I can tell you. :unamused:

It’s dozyworld. Say no more. An alternative reality where dozy is a driving god, beset by stupidly parked vans and buildings with ridiculous bits, like guttering, sticking out in his way.

N.b. As a driver who fondly (yeah, right…)remembers the good old days of folding up soaking wet tarpaulins on wind swept dock sides and the likes, when other drivers would give a hand, and you would do like wise, I find the modern habit of sitting behind glass watching (or even filming…) other drivers struggle or come to grief baffling.

Nope no Allison semis for me either.

As for getting out to look, doesn’t matter what you’re driving, reversing into a parking bay in the dark any sensible driver would get as far in as they could see and then nip down with a torch to check the rest of the reverse out, could be a dumped car down there for all you know, a circle of chanting nuns holding baskets of kittens, anything, its like reversing into a dark building from bright sunlight, you’re blind.

Or a school bus.

Won’t somebody think of the children…

Going back to the days when David Brown boxes were in vehicles with fixed cabs and not the glorified wendy houses which followed on, you could place the pinky on the top of the knob, (yes I know, I did get that one) :smiley: and steer it into the next slot (and that one too) :slight_smile: with no effort at all.

Not if you didn’t get the revs right Cav, that pinky might get slightly out of shape when the stick kicked back… :laughing:

No pinkies with a Foden 12 speed, a firm grip gritted teeth and determination…so me dad told me, i of course are far too young to have known one.

Juddian:
No pinkies with a Foden 12 speed, a firm grip gritted teeth and determination…so me dad told me, i of course are far too young to have known one.

Especially when you fg forgot what fg gear to pick next when pulling fg hard up a fg big hill. :slight_smile:

the nodding donkey:
N.b. As a driver who fondly (yeah, right…)remembers the good old days of folding up soaking wet tarpaulins on wind swept dock sides and the likes, when other drivers would give a hand, and you would do like wise, I find the modern habit of sitting behind glass watching (or even filming…) other drivers struggle or come to grief baffling.

I helped another driver do his curtains up as we came out a pallet depot. And I offered to help a driver strap up and do the curtains, but that’s because I was going to miss my booking and he was taking his sweet time in the loading area… ■■■■■■■■ :imp:

And no I’m not one of those “always in a rush” types (most of the time), but I couldn’t miss the booking. Not sure what would happen if I did (nothing apparently, they sent me straight in).

Juddian some lads like dozy just don’t understand he ain’t driving an arctic with container or curtain sider.

It’s like today was on road with few trees lowish trees on it and was running at 15.11 so decided to move away from them onto inside of carriage way for few miles.
Then had mr p£&&k in a container flu up inside of me calling me a ■■■■■■■
£100 for damage lost for a branch.
Il get called ■■■■■■ everyday if it saves my damage bonus.

Dozy do you realise there about 3 or 4 metres longer than your artic and bout 3ft higher.

I reckon Dozy should be renamed as " The Puppetmaster ".

the nodding donkey:

Drivers ceased helping other drivers to fold up sheets in the late 90s. I remember when I first started doing timber on flatbeds in the mid 90s. You’d turn up at a timber yard at 8am when there were another couple of wagons waiting to get tipped as well and before you knew it they’d be out their cabs helping you take your ropes and sheets off. 5 years later and they’d just watch you struggle like a silly sod shaking their heads because you were holding them up.

I’m doing my training now, so much to learn it’s pretty daunting. Had to take a lorry to another place and really struggled to reverse it into a bay. It’s so different to reversing a normal artic. Not saying it’s harder, but it will take a lot of getting used to, plus it’s about 21.75m long when fully loaded, you can’t jack it either or you smash the units lights, and you can’t have a little bump or it’s serious damage. I won’t be going anywhere near some of the notoriously tight truck stops or mse’s for a while that’s for sure.

youtu.be/nLTDef0oeuA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mdourish:
https://youtu.be/nLTDef0oeuA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That video would be more impressive if the OP could read! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Get on with you , packed or not its not tight in there , there’s loads of room and that’s wi th all the revamping going on in there .

Don’t you just love dozys new way of taking
(Get on with you) How Graceful
Priceless