Cairnryan to Belfast

Anyway all went well, off the boat tipped and caught the same one back, see what you mean about the food going sharpish and tbh i.ve tasted worse, all in all made a change from the usual monday morning M1/M62 crawl

did you get your selfie with samson and delilah for your scrapbook? :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
did you get your selfie with samson and delilah for your scrapbook? :slight_smile:

Took a fleeting pic off the motorway as i was passing :laughing:

chaversdad:

dieseldog999:

Took a fleeting pic off the motorway as i was passing :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cue the inevitable posts from the duddly do goods on here saying you should be prosecuted for careless driving… :smiley:

It was Ireland , seems driving with 1 hand on the wheel and your head out the window is perfectly normal , and my surnames irish so its all good :wink:

Don’t they fill the car decks with carbon dioxide if the fire alarms go off, and you’re in the cab…

i wouldnt know or care as by the time they rang bells and had to come down and rescue pets and dogs that would either be in the kennels or cars then you would have plenty of time to wander back upstairs and the doors are never locked from the car deck side,theyre only locked from the top side.
ive been on the hss a few times when one of the engines went on fire and no biggy other than hearing them shouting for the red crew to go to the engine room,so possibly they dont unless its a last resort if at all though ive no idea other than rdc pish.
no doubt someone will be sitting waiting with their finger poised to correct me with something googled. :unamused:

i was on an irish ferry a while back and woke to see a paddy in the next truck climbing down with his good suit and shiny shoes and asked him what was happening,
he told me he was getting ready to go the dance as he had heard people running around shouting a band on ship… :open_mouth:

Like dieseldog I always sleep in lorry. And like he says you have to remember to stay dead still when they bang REALLY REALLY HARD on the door! Been doing it for years, the risks in reality are tiny. I do go up if really bad weather is forecast and that’s only because I’ve been on boats where trucks have snapped the chains and rolled. Been caught once on Irish sea, and he had no interest in who I was for banning purposes just pushed me upstairs and a couple of times on Dover Calais where they usually just laugh at you sitting there on an empty deck

0730Stena outta Cairnryan Tue there,
Was nice n comfy behind the closed bunk curtains in the MAN.
Bang bang on door,
didn’t move.
Next thing he’s up on catwalk shining a torch in my face through gap in curtains.

“Upstairs upstairs” the ballix says laughing!!! :grimacing:

Big Truck:
Bang bang on door,
didn’t move.
Next thing he’s up on catwalk shining a torch in my face through gap in curtains.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
its not the first time ive been spotted and have made the show of heading off the deck to the door,then just turning and going back to the cab again so long as you remember to leave the door open…
the taliban think youve gone up,and the top desk dont know you were down anyway.
ive managed that a few times heading to holyhead and back.

Why do you not go up stairs ? i like to go to use the shower ,drink,food ,general have a look round ,chat and if i can a sleep , i try and get away from the cab as fast as i can.

if you use them often then the novelty soon wears off,
you may not be hungry and you may be sick of the repetitive menu.
if you are in your cab then after the car alarms go of and stop after 10 mins then its total peace and quiet for the rest of the crossing without having to be surrounded by a screaming rabble of kids or diddycoys on the irish ferrys or just a general rabble on the euro ones with the other option of sitting in the truckies lounge having to listen to a film being on.
cab it on the birkenhead ferry and its a solid 8 hour kip.
go up to a cabin and its a racing certainty that you wont get more than 4 or 5 hours of broken sleep between your cellmate and the ■■■■■ on the tannoy along with the cleaning crew battering you up at 6 a.m.
you come off the boat knakkered at 8 in the morn.

dieseldog999, i see you point but i long to get away from the truck :smiley: ,just so i can stretch my legs and even have a chat (as long its not crap im ok ) just got to have a shower (always carry my sliders) and just have a bit to eat and a tea, nosey around etc .

dieseldog999:
if you are in your cab then after the car alarms go of and stop after 10 mins then its total peace and quiet for the rest of the crossing without having to be surrounded by a screaming rabble of kids or diddycoys on the irish ferrys or just a general rabble on the euro ones with the other option of sitting in the truckies lounge having to listen to a film being on.
go up to a cabin and its a racing certainty that you wont get more than 4 or 5 hours of broken sleep between your cellmate and the ■■■■■ on the tannoy along with the cleaning crew battering you up at 6 a.m.

This. Sometimes I’d be on Ferries 4 or 5 nights a week and I just want to sleep. If they load you soon enough on Birkenhead or Portsmouth boats you get time to go upstairs, have a shower and bite to eat and be back down in lorry before doors are locked. When I started out Ferries were exciting, now they are just an annoying inconvenience

Got to agree with the 2 above, last week was my first time and while i enjoyed the experience i think i would get pretty sick of it if i had to do it week in week out

dieseldog999:

Only done the Birkenhead ferry once on a Sunday night and got what felt like 2-3hrs sleep in a roasting room.

And im sick of the menu on the Isle of Inishmore.

mrginge:

dieseldog999:

Only done the Birkenhead ferry once on a Sunday night and got what felt like 2-3hrs sleep in a roasting room.

Certainly no variation on the Isle of Inishmore only half decent thing is the curry and the standard of that would have a decent curry house shut down

Mazzer2:

Certainly no variation on the Isle of Inishmore only half decent thing is the curry and the standard of that would have a decent curry house shut down
[/quote]
Ha it’s curry every time for me, will be sampling it this Sunday for lunch.

Sploom:
Don’t they fill the car decks with carbon dioxide if the fire alarms go off, and you’re in the cab…

If they do make sure you get the names of the horses on the freight deck and get some money on that race. Blown Racehorses always win :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:
Bang bang on door,
didn’t move.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
its not the first time ive been spotted and have made the show of heading off the deck to the door,then just turning and going back to the cab again so long as you remember to leave the door open…
the taliban think youve gone up,and the top desk dont know you were down anyway.
ive managed that a few times heading to holyhead and back.

Aye but he came up with me in the lift,
Scottish deckhand chittering away.
The bugger didn’t knock up my two mates who were also on same deck and covering the “Sainsbury’s run” with me!!!