Burger flipping

Many of the replies here clearly think £10 ph is a considerable amount of money and that’s the problem…

rightmove.co.uk/property-for … SSTC=false

All these properties are shared ownership or retirement flats or boats. A grand total of 42 properties within a 10 mile radius of Crayford, part of the most densely populated city in good ole GB. Nothing there to be bought on £10 ph rates…

mick.mh2racing:
A point I made on the fridge scientist post was that many jobs pay less than we’d think.
I earn more than my wife who’s a primary school teacher. More than a fireman and a paramedic or nurse.
Make of that what you will.
When I first started work when everything was in black and white, my dad was the wages clerk. Blokes in the warehouse earned about 15k and we’re on good money. They all assumed and couldn’t be convinced otherwise that my dad earned less than 10k. They thought he must be on 25k plus.

sent using smoke signals

I’d be very happy to pay more in tax, to see public service workers get an inflation linked pay rise every year.
I’d also be very happy to pay more in tax, to see the minimum wage be an actual wage that people can live on without benefits.
It’s not just about, me, me, me, you have to think about others.

The-Snowman:

Jingle Jon:
I’d vote for wages to be paid based on the individuals IQ…

I dont think you of all people really want that to become a policy

Maggot on hook… tiddler baited. Stay in the shallow end mate… or foxtrot oscar back to Rob’s melt down thread. :laughing:

You would starve - so I see your concerns. I would be loaded… :wink:

chrisdalott:
everybody deserves 10 an hour. the whole country needs a pay rise

What, like communism?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I currently work in catering and minimum wage is a joke. You could not afford to live on it. It should keep going up.

That said the margins can be so tight that I could imagine a ten pound an hour wage leading to redundancy. Bare in mind upping the catering assistants wage would mean supervisor and up would also need a raise. Something gotta give somewhere.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

sweepster:
You can see by reading this thread that society has become very selfish. The minimum wage should be at least £10 p/h.
The more a persons wage, the more is ploughed back into the economy and the less reliant they are on benefits.
Instead of judging people on what their worth, you should be congratulating them and hoping they succeed. If they do, it will benefit us all.

The price of EVERYTHING would rise. Companies will always pass on rises in costs to the consumer. What do you think, they’ll just sit there, shrug and say 'Oh well, we just won’t make quite as much money so we can pay our staff 30% more.

Too many people seem to think that businesses are set up and run as some sort of social welfare scheme.

claretmatt:

sweepster:
You can see by reading this thread that society has become very selfish. The minimum wage should be at least £10 p/h.
The more a persons wage, the more is ploughed back into the economy and the less reliant they are on benefits.
Instead of judging people on what their worth, you should be congratulating them and hoping they succeed. If they do, it will benefit us all.

The price of EVERYTHING would rise. Companies will always pass on rises in costs to the consumer. What do you think, they’ll just sit there, shrug and say 'Oh well, we just won’t make quite as much money so we can pay our staff 30% more.

Too many people seem to think that businesses are set up and run as some sort of social welfare scheme.

Or profits would fall, and companies would have to focus on working more efficiently. They wouldn’t be able to get away with increased inefficiency paid for by even greater reductions in wages, which is basically the current model.

Henry Ford made cars affordable by having one colour - nowadays, a hundred different companies will offer to bill you for the same gas and electric.

And even if prices rise quite a few percent, a 30% pay rise for workers (from £7 to £10 an hour) would hit the wealthier harder, and hit those on unearned incomes hardest, as well as significantly inflating economic demand.

The logic of accepting significantly lower and lower wages for modestly lower and lower prices will not only lead to poverty for most workers, but to a crisis in effective demand as workers become unable to afford even the things that they have cheapened by accepting lower wages for producing them.

Incidentally, the Chinese economic model of undercutting primarily rests on the basis that the consumers of the products are not their own workers, and providing goods to the Western world on credit gives their workers, for the time being, the benefit of Western capital investment and economic development.

Do you not think there’s a limit to how much the cost of things can increase? Especially in the burger flipping industry, I would think there’s a price people just won’t pay for a big Mac. So actually mcdondalds etc might have to find other ways to afford the increasing wages some of which might involve having less staff.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

discoman:

maga:
6 months down the line they’ll be wanting more as they’ll be wondering where the extra £ went, its pretty incredible people can think burger flipping is worth anything but minimum wage.

What makes truck driving worth 10£ an hour, they are only driving not exactly a real skill is it.

Driving isn’t a skill.

Driving well IS a skill.

whilst on the subject of burger’s. to all you student’s who passed their exam’s congratulations. to those who didn’t I don’t like gherkin on my big mac. :wink:

And the truth and fact is 85% of drivers do not earn 10 pounds an hour most live in Cu Cu land if they think they do for the hours worked

sweepster:

mick.mh2racing:
A point I made on the fridge scientist post was that many jobs pay less than we’d think.
I earn more than my wife who’s a primary school teacher. More than a fireman and a paramedic or nurse.
Make of that what you will.
When I first started work when everything was in black and white, my dad was the wages clerk. Blokes in the warehouse earned about 15k and we’re on good money. They all assumed and couldn’t be convinced otherwise that my dad earned less than 10k. They thought he must be on 25k plus.

sent using smoke signals

I’d be very happy to pay more in tax, to see public service workers get an inflation linked pay rise every year.
I’d also be very happy to pay more in tax, to see the minimum wage be an actual wage that people can live on without benefits.
It’s not just about, me, me, me, you have to think about others.

The examples I use were public sector workers by accident. I know of warehouse pickers in Wakefield earning as much as nurses and I’m not making judgements, just throwing it out as an example for discussion.

sent using smoke signals

chrisdalott:
everybody deserves 10 an hour. the whole country needs a pay rise

So, the minimum salary for a full time job (40 hours) should be £20,800?

There will be an awful lot of managers out there on low 20’s wanting a substantial pay rise as well to reinstate the gap, otherwise why bother?

Everything will just get more expensive to pay for it all & then a few years down the line Jeremy Corbyn will be campaigning for £12ph…

Honestly, the minimum wage is getting too high if anything. The real problem is all these lousy zero hour contracts & the ever increasing popularity of agencies & the ‘flexible workforce’, ie. employees with bugger all financial security.

discoman:

maga:
6 months down the line they’ll be wanting more as they’ll be wondering where the extra £ went, its pretty incredible people can think burger flipping is worth anything but minimum wage.

What makes truck driving worth 10£ an hour, they are only driving not exactly a real skill is it.

I don’t normally respond to trolls, but I break with tradition this once.

Imagine somebody who has never even driven a car. Imagine that person getting behind the wheel of say a 44 ton articulated 16 speed manual DAF XF with a 15’ 6’’ curtainsided trailer, loaded with chipboard, or pallets of coke cans without shrinkwrap, or any other load that’s vulnerable to moving.

Then imagine that person taking that vehicle from the middle of London to the midlands, making a delivery in coventry city centre, then Birmingham city centre, then returning to central London with a backload from Northampton, and hitting a diversion on the way back. Then, when getting back, being told to drop the trailer, pick up the fridge, and go and do a local run to Dartford.

Do you think they’d manage it, flawlessly, completing their daily checks (and knowing what to check), without shooting their load one way or the other, returning 10mpg, without hitting a bridge, being on time, side swiping a car in their blind spot, adhering to the DVSA’s load security policy (as much as possible :smiley:) , leaving all railings intact on tight turns, making sure not to set a red light camea off, keeping within speed limits, keeping within tachograph and WTD restrictions, staying out of weight restricted areas, without succumbing to road rage, causing no damage whilst maneuvering (forward or backward), or indeed finding a keyfuels pump because the previous driver left it in the red? That person would probably cry as soon as they eyeballed the gearlever.

Do you suppose that same person who has never even driven a car could flip burgers?

Do you suppose he should be paid the same in both scenarios? Or do you think he should be worth at least a few quid more in the first?

Driving well is definitely a skill, and those who can do it seem so complacent about it because it’s easy and natural to them. But most of my friends can’t even grasp the concept of keeping in the left lane in their cars. They’d be hopeless doing this job, as many of us would be hopeless plumbers, artists, or doctors. When I compare my current self (13 years class 1) I’m 1 million miles better than I was 10 years ago, because I learnt through my mistakes, and through years of practice. I’m worth at least £15, and I get it!

Add ADR, HIAB, PDP, or whatever, and we’re worth a touch more even. Driving lorries is a profession, there are some true professionals out there, and we should have more pride in ourselves and our industry.

ezydriver:
I don’t normally respond to trolls, but I break with tradition this once.

Imagine somebody who has never even driven a car. Imagine that person getting behind the wheel of say a 44 ton articulated 16 speed manual DAF XF with a 15’ 6’’ curtainsided trailer, loaded with chipboard, or pallets of coke cans without shrinkwrap, or any other load that’s vulnerable to moving.

Then imagine that person taking that vehicle from the middle of London to the midlands, making a delivery in coventry city centre, then Birmingham city centre, then returning to central London with a backload from Northampton, and hitting a diversion on the way back. Then, when getting back, being told to drop the trailer, pick up the fridge, and go and do a local run to Dartford.

Do you think they’d manage it, flawlessly, completing their daily checks (and knowing what to check), without shooting their load one way or the other, returning 10mpg, without hitting a bridge, being on time, side swiping a car in their blind spot, adhering to the DVSA’s load security policy (as much as possible :smiley:) , leaving all railings intact on tight turns, making sure not to set a red light camea off, keeping within speed limits, keeping within tachograph and WTD restrictions, staying out of weight restricted areas, without succumbing to road rage, causing no damage whilst maneuvering (forward or backward), or indeed finding a keyfuels pump because the previous driver left it in the red? That person would probably cry as soon as they eyeballed the gearlever.

Do you suppose that same person who has never even driven a car could flip burgers?

Do you suppose he should be paid the same in both scenarios? Or do you think he should be worth at least a few quid more in the first?

Driving well is definitely a skill, and those who can do it seem so complacent about it because it’s easy and natural to them. But most of my friends can’t even grasp the concept of keeping in the left lane in their cars. They’d be hopeless doing this job, as many of us would be hopeless plumbers, artists, or doctors. When I compare my current self (13 years class 1) I’m 1 million miles better than I was 10 years ago, because I learnt through my mistakes, and through years of practice. I’m worth at least £15, and I get it!

Add ADR, HIAB, PDP, or whatever, and we’re worth a touch more even. Driving lorries is a profession, there are some true professionals out there, and we should have more pride in ourselves and our industry.

+1
Well said mate.

You could apply the same logic to driving a car. Some are better than others at it but then Taxi driving isn’t exactly a high paying skill either. Unfortunately driving a HGV is looked upon in the same way by most. Not saying I agree with this but just look at the amount of class 1 drivers earning £10 per hour or less. Plenty of haulage companies filling their vacancies with relative ease. Whilst haulage contractors fill their vacancies at these rates, nothing will change.

ezydriver:

discoman:

maga:

I don’t normally respond to trolls, but I break with tradition this once…

Aye, but ya did.

This issue is a bit of an nonsense anyway… HGV Drivers should not be arguing the toss on weather or not their jobs are worth more per hour, HGV drivers are never likely to receive the pay they deserve until they are willing to stand up and fight for it.

There are numerous ways, companies can increase the take for a driver, and it’s not all down to the per hour rate, they can look at the tax free allowances and pay the max on that - nights out being one example. Although this would appear to disadvantage day and night shift drivers… but it’s still an incentive. Pension contributions is another. But realistically: £10 per hour as a minimum rate for the job of an HGV Driver imo - just that… the minimum. Otherwise the cost of recruitment and damage is more likely to kb any other perceived benefits for the company.

Better to have a happy team being properly rewarded - willing to do their best.

A much missed philosophy from what I see. Basically, most of you are your own worst enemies. No bloody backbone!

Yours sincerely
A Scargill.
:slight_smile:

It’s enough to make a grown man cry…spotty kids flipping burgers have the balls to stand up for themselves by threatening strike action…big hairy arsed truckers terrified of losing their £8 ph jobs if they ask for more…

I wonder if the person that thinks £7.00 to £10 is a 30% rise drives trucks for a living

ezydriver:
"Driving lorries is a profession, there are some true professionals out there, and we should have more pride in ourselves and our industry.

It’s only a profession in the sense that you get paid for doing it, a bit like a professional footballer. It’s not a profession in the sense that being a doctor is a profession.