British Commercial Vehicle Museum

240 Gardner:

eagerbeaver:
There is an old Atkinson Borderer in there that a chap from Bowkers ran and did a million k’s in it. The boss of Bowkers was so chuffed with the driver and the condition that he kept it in, that he effectively gave it to him. It’s been completely restored and looks really good IMO.

It’s actually an Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ Mk.1: it was given to John Hemelryk, a London-based driver, when it first entered service in March 1967. John had first joined the company in the 1930s and left after nationalisation of the industry in 1949. He then re-joined when the company re-entered haulage in 1954, and was the first London-based driver for the newly-revived operation.

GBV 759E, fleet number 47, was one of the very first Atkinsons built with the then new Gardner 6LXB engine (the famous “180 Gardner”) and replaced a Guy Invincible with a 6LW engine. John didn’t like it at first, but soon took to it, and came to be absilutrely inseparable from it, referring to it as “My Friend”. Not only did it outlive all the other Mk.1 Atkinsons in the fleet, but all the Mk.2s and Borderers as well! In fact, it was only the impending tachograph legislation that ended its revenue-earning career in late 1980, by which time John was well past 65.

When withdrawn from service, the unit was given back to John to take home and look after. It was kept taxed as a private vehicle and MOT’d for him. In January 1983, he returned to work at Blackburn Depot as a yard shunter, bringing “Friend” with him, and this continued until December 1985, when John finally retired, and this time left his beloved Atkinson behind. It was rallied several times in 1983-5, in its working condition.

In the Spring of 1986, it was sent away for restoration, finally completed in 1987, and it has been active ever since, covering thousands and thousands of miles in preservation, to add to the million-plus it achieved in service. Not only has it been to both Lands End and John O’Groats in preservation, it has even been to Sweden twice!

It still has the original engine and gearbox, even the original Hardy Spicer couplings on the propshaft, and has neve left Bowker’s ownership.

Sadly, John Hemelryk passed away in December 1992, alongside the other love of his life, the motor boat Peacock, on which he had lived since the early 1950s. Peacock is also preserved, and is proudly displayed at the Black Country Museum.

47 when new:

GBV 759E Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ T3046XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

And on the way home from Somerset with a new acquistion in May 1998:

GBV 759E & ABP 481 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

That is a story I wouldn’t mind hearing 100 times! Thank you.

Ive been there several times, Its a great place to go IMO, Regards Larry.

I had the pleasure of delivering here. Cleaning stuff I think.
Met the fellows you mentioned and saw the truck mentioned.
They gave me the private tour, proberly the best delivery I’ve ever done in twenty years.
“What sort of trucks that your driving have a look at these and put taco on break”.
Great place worth a visit.
And I got tea and biscuits.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Ive been there several times, Its a great place to go IMO, Regards Larry.

When I visited the museum several years ago they had the prototype of the Rootes TS4 four cylinder/eight piston version of the excellent TS3 three cylinder/six piston two stroke diesel fitted to Commer’s that alas never went into production. Also the last Foden eight legger off the line was there.

Pete.

That Foden 8 legger is still there Pete. One of the fella’s there knew an awful lot about Foden’s in particular and seemed a little sad that DAF CF’s with a Foden badge on was simply not cricket!

eagerbeaver:
That Foden 8 legger is still there Pete. One of the fella’s there knew an awful lot about Foden’s in particular and seemed a little sad that DAF CF’s with a Foden badge on was simply not cricket!

Can’t fault him on that score! :slight_smile: Still a decent truck (the Alpha) and plenty around today earning a shilling or two.

Pete.

eagerbeaver:
Great post 240-THANKYOU!!

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for the feedback! :blush:

There was a lot more to John Hemelryk than simply being a lorry driver, as you can see here:

hnbc.org.uk/sites/default/files/ … -13-14.pdf

Meanwhile here are a few more of ‘Friend’

When new:

47MATbox-Aug68CommercialVehicles by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

At John’s first retirement, in 1980:

JohnFriend by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

At John’s funeral, in Kensal Green in January 1993 - the Atki was driven there and back from Preston, averaging 18.5mpg overall. I set off from home from Paddington in the middle of the rush hour at 1655, and rolled into the yard in Bamber Bridge at exactly 2155.

47Funeral by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Coming off the boat in Gothenburg in the mid-2000s, on its second visit to Sweden, carrying a 1924 Thornycroft and a 1934 Leyland Beaver, with Bill Bowker’s MG TF on the back of the Beaver

47Sweden3small by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

And finally, coupled to the Dyson dolly it actually ran with in the late 1960s, when it pulled a 4-in-line low-loader for MAT Tranport:

47dolly1 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
47dolly2 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Thanks very much for your input on this thread 240, really appreciate it. It seems poignant to see John with ’ his ’ truck in 1980!

Sort of reminds you of all the great characters and stories that are sadly no longer with us.

Enjoyed this thread and pics, so thanks! :smiley:

Thanks I really enjoyed reading this thread and looking at the pics (interesting link about the narrow boat}.

Now to spoil things does anyone else have fond memories of the 6cyl Ford D series box van? There was a trick with the gear lever before tilting the cab, or sprawling across the seats for some shut eye, really comfortable day cab lorry.
70 mph no probs and a nice floaty back end to play with in the winter.

Oh yes :laughing: a v reg 7.5 tonner doing 2 nights out a week up Scarborough bridlington whitby on multi drop in 1988 ice on the window in the morning after pulling down make shift curtains great days :open_mouth: but the Ford used to go like the clappers :laughing:

Some more exhibits en route to the BCVM for display, and all travelling in style :slight_smile: :

1920s Bean bus collected from High Wycombe in the early 90s

Ethel 1 at Bloxham.jpg

AEC Mammoth Major, with just 5,000 miles on the clock from new, loaded out of Fawley in 1999

Esso1.jpg

Pre-war ERF loaded out of Langholm c.1995

JRN Langholm.jpeg

Leyland TX-450 concept vehicle, on a short local hop in 2001
Leyland TX450 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
ABV 317M Atkinson ‘Borderer’ T3446C by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Morris Commercial fire appliance collected from the bus museum at Long Hanborough in the mid-90sBVB 457H Atkinson T3046X by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Finally, Leyland fire appliance collected from somewhere in Cheshire in the mid-90s

Sadly, I’ve lost my photos of taking Thornycroft no.1, an 1896 steam lorry, down to Chiswick, Basingstoke and Winchester for the Thornycroft Centenary in 1996

What’s the story on these Atkinsons pulling them?