Brexit again!

toonsy:
Sorry to clarify the Dyson/Mogg… it’s to do with being prepared. Even ardent Brexiteer folk are doing planning as they see fit.

Dyson has nothing to do with Brexit. Dyson’s largest market by a big amount is Asia so it makes sense to manufacture where your largest market is. If it was to do with Brexit he’d have moved to the EU, not to a nation that doesn’t have a trade agreement with the EU so he still has to pay import duty.

GasGas:
Some time ago I spoke with someone at another German truck manufacturer, who said they were looking at the origin of all their components, and were finding alternative sources for those of British origin. He said there was a ‘surprisingly high’ British content in their trucks, but that was obviously going to change if there was a no-deal Brexit.

Could that be the reason for the ■■■/Schaeffler factory in Llanelli being closed?

No. It is because the majority of the customers of that factory were in the EU, not the UK. Their biggest factory in the UK though is going to remain in the UK.

Santa:

mrginge:

adam277:
I think a lot of people have been saving on a individual basis.

Not me, just in case Pound Sterling takes a hit I imported my car from a Japanese auction that deals in Dollars before Brexit :sunglasses:

Since you had to buy the dollars, I don’t see the advantage. You also now have a ‘grey’ import with all that implies for warranty etc.

A large percentage of people who buy grey imports, don’t worry about warranty, as they can repair the car when they go wrong, also the Japanese are very honest about description of the cars faults,

Conor:

toonsy:
Sorry to clarify the Dyson/Mogg… it’s to do with being prepared. Even ardent Brexiteer folk are doing planning as they see fit.

Dyson has nothing to do with Brexit. Dyson’s largest market by a big amount is Asia so it makes sense to manufacture where your largest market is. If it was to do with Brexit he’d have moved to the EU, not to a nation that doesn’t have a trade agreement with the EU so he still has to pay import duty.

GasGas:
Some time ago I spoke with someone at another German truck manufacturer, who said they were looking at the origin of all their components, and were finding alternative sources for those of British origin. He said there was a ‘surprisingly high’ British content in their trucks, but that was obviously going to change if there was a no-deal Brexit.

Could that be the reason for the ■■■/Schaeffler factory in Llanelli being closed?

No. It is because the majority of the customers of that factory were in the EU, not the UK. Their biggest factory in the UK though is going to remain in the UK.

Singapore and the EU signed a free trade agreement last year… Which will be ratified by the end of the current EU cycle which ends in… March 2019.

That’s surely just a massive coincidence though :unamused:

It’s quiet in Belgium as well.

I have work enough, but not running about like a headless chicken.

Not sure this has anything to do with Brexit though as I only do Belgium-France.

“No. It is because the majority of the customers of that factory were in the EU, not the UK. Their biggest factory in the UK though is going to remain in the UK.”

I’m lost here…so they closed a factory in the UK because most of its customers were in the EU, but that’s nothing to do with those customers wanting bearings produced in the EU because the supply chain would be secure?

I hope their Sheffield factory does remain open…but I would think that a ‘no deal’ and the consequential departure of most of the UK automotive manufacturing sector to the EU or Japan (which now has a good trade deal with the EU), would kill it off.

But, as Boris would say…F Business!

Just over half the people of Sheffield voted for Brexit… I’m hope they have got some other jobs lined up just in case.

biggriffin:

Santa:

mrginge:

adam277:
I think a lot of people have been saving on a individual basis.

Not me, just in case Pound Sterling takes a hit I imported my car from a Japanese auction that deals in Dollars before Brexit :sunglasses:

Since you had to buy the dollars, I don’t see the advantage. You also now have a ‘grey’ import with all that implies for warranty etc.

A large percentage of people who buy grey imports, don’t worry about warranty, as they can repair the car when they go wrong, also the Japanese are very honest about description of the cars faults,

If Sterling fell in value against the Dollar it means the price goes up. It’s a year 2000 car that was only made in Japan so not a typical ‘grey’ import of a car I could by in it’s UK form. Passed an MOT needing last week needing rear brake pads. The Japanese MOT is stupid strict and most get exported after 10yrs unless the person is willing to spend on maintenance. Another bonus is generally low mileage cars, my 18yr old car on 103k miles is a ‘high miler’.

GasGas:
According to the CM website, Mercedes-Benz is now frantically stockpiling spare parts for trucks in the UK in anticipation of the Brexit balls-up.

Oh well, the people of Llanelli mostly voted for Brexit, so I expect they had other jobs lined up anyway.

Mercedes-Benz frantically stockpiling spare parts when they started selling them,they new they were pieces of ■■■■, then so they got in front of it and made loads of spare parts

Here’s some positive news…the UK has signed a continuity deal with the Faroe Islands (population 50778) so trade can continue with this important partner post Brexit.

Speaking outside his Somerset stately Home, Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg told assembled tenants and villagers. “You see, I said everything would work out for the best” before some local primary-school children recited:

“God bless the squire and his relations
and keep us in our proper stations.”

Conor:

toonsy:

GasGas:

Conor:
Dyson has nothing to do with Brexit. Dyson’s largest market by a big amount is Asia so it makes sense to manufacture where your largest market is. If it was to do with Brexit he’d have moved to the EU, not to a nation that doesn’t have a…

So would you agree that any manufacturer seeking to build a factory somewhere near Western Europe would be best advised to build it inside the biggest potential market?
UK pop 66million? Or EU population 550million?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

This thread was meant to be how brexit directly targets us and it’s impact on us. :angry:

Sick of hearing cynical brits talking doom and gloom lol.

For my job at a supermarket it’s pretty much the same. They are trying get more drivers for the summer rush.

adam277:
This thread was meant to be how brexit directly targets us and it’s impact on us. :angry:

For my job at a supermarket it’s pretty much the same. They are trying get more drivers for the summer rush.

Summer Rush? - It’s February, and the so-called Quiet Season… At least I still hear rumours of it being like that… :smiley:

adam277:

So you want an empty thread then? Because surely even the dimmest of dimwits would realise that nothing is sorted yet one way or the other and therefore nobody knows what impact there will or won’t be unless people speculate.

I’m sick of everyone saying everything will be fine with nothing to back it up other than a “it just will be” and a bit of blind faith but hey ho, I’m not crying over it lol

Winseer:

adam277:

Summer Rush? - It’s February, and the so-called Quiet Season… At least I still hear rumours of it being like that… :smiley:

You still have a job?
That can’t be right if we voted leave then everyone would be out of a job and every single business would leave the UK.
At least that’s what the remainers touted during the election.
Let’s not forget project fear.
Goldmine sachs predicted a 2017 recession if we voted leave.
Hm treasury predicted half a million people losing their jobs.

toonsy:

adam277:

So you want an empty thread then? Because surely even the dimmest of dimwits would realise that nothing is sorted yet one way or the other and therefore nobody knows what impact there will or won’t be unless people speculate.

I’m sick of everyone saying everything will be fine with nothing to back it up other than a “it just will be” and a bit of blind faith but hey ho, I’m not crying over it lol

Not at all I’m curious as to if brexit is actually effecting people right now.
I gave my answer as a definite no.
Let’s not forget we got told if we vote leave it would all go to hell.
I dunno how it will be to be honest but if you listen to the remainers they love to pick the outliners in businesses who might be doing brexit preps and then preach doom and gloom.
So I’m just curious how your employers are dealing with it if at all. :grimacing:

My employers can’t even plan a work day efficiently so doubt they’ve even thought of it.

However to carry on doing Euros we got told to get international driving permits so I guess there’s some going on.

Brexit (or the fear of) has had a massive effect where I work; the coldstore is stacked to the roof with pallets, any more and we’ll need roof racks fitted to our trailers to accommodate them! Our weekly pallet count has tripled and transport has made more profit in the first month and a half of this year then it did in the first six months of last year.

Franglais:

wolves:
UK won’t fall out of the EU without deal, I know this for a fact. So not much will change from hgv driver point of view.

What version software in your crystal ball?
Mine is a bit cloudy concerning events this coming afternoon, so could do with an upgrade into next month’s events.

Fella I have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the complexity, impact of brexit, particularly within the supply chain models and the impasse that we are currently facing. But more of that later. I correctly forecasted years ago that coldstores would fill up, and I was correct. I am apprehensive to say what a no deal would mean for everyone, nobody would like to hear my prognosis for a no deal, very scary. I have under good authority that the UK won’t leave without deal, even if that means delaying the exit date.
In regards to your statement, I afraid I cannot disclosure my sources as there are high risks but you will see next month a deal finalised. I hope this clears it up for you.

wolves:

Franglais:

wolves:
UK won’t fall out of the EU without deal, I know this for a fact. So not much will change from hgv driver point of view.

Mine is a bit cloudy concerning events this coming afternoon, so could do with an upgrade into next month’s events.

Fella I have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the complexity, impact of brexit, particularly within the supply chain models and the impasse that we are currently facing. But more of that later. I correctly forecasted years ago that coldstores would fill up, and I was correct. I am apprehensive to say what a no deal would mean for everyone, nobody would like to hear my prognosis for a no deal, very scary. I have under good authority that the UK won’t leave without deal, even if that means delaying the exit date.
In regards to your statement, I afraid I cannot disclosure my sources as there are high risks but you will see next month a deal finalised. I hope this clears it up for you.

I too recognise that a “no deal” would likely be a very bad outcome. And most politicians would try to avoid this.
War is of course an even greater calamity. Most politicians try to avoid them.
We still have wars, and could still have a “no deal” Brexit.
Doesn’t matter whether or not most individual MPs agree “no deal” is bad, there is still a chance it could happen. If you don’t see that maybe your understanding isn’t quite as deep as it could be.

You “have it under good authority that the UK won’t leave without a deal” ?
Good for you, and I’m glad you’re happy with that.
I’ve only be told it’ll be OK because an anonymous person on the internet knows something from someone special and secret, so I’ll continue biting my nails.

Franglais:

wolves:

Franglais:

wolves:

I too recognise that a “no deal” would likely be a very bad outcome. And most politicians would try to avoid this.
Doesn’t matter whether or not most individual MPs agree “no deal” is bad, there is still a chance it could happen. If you don’t see that maybe your understanding isn’t quite as deep as it could be.

I’ve only be told it’ll be OK because an anonymous person on the internet knows something from someone special and secret, so I’ll continue biting my nails.

We’ll if it’s anything like Dr Damon and his “in the know” stuff… remember we should by rights be waging a losing war with autonobots who have taken over the world after starting off driving lorries.

My take on it is that money talks and when big business starts to suffer a deal will be found, a German business leader has just been interviewed on the Today programme and stated that since the referendum their trade with the UK is already down 10%, when people talk about the UK’s trade with Europe they often assume that we trade equally with all 27 members when in reality most of the trade is done with just a handful of European countries and they will be the ones who will lose out especially as most of them are now in recession or close to it. Not saying that the UK won’t also suffer but so will Europe.

Franglais:

wolves:

Franglais:

wolves:

This is not an option. My private analysis and research goes completely against no deal therefor it cannot happen. I also have the privilege of meeting some very important people, who also agreed with me on the matter in question. As you have said, a no deal outcome will result in the UK suffering a monumental blow to the economy. No parliament would allow for this big consternation to take effect. Furthermore I would favour more people taking the view of yourself with regards of a no deal, which trust me, would be catastrophic for the UK economy. In my experience and expertise within this sector I know what I’m talking about. As regards to the war I’m afraid that your completely wrong and threating the EU with war to get a deal will not resolve anything. I know as I have negotiated many important discussions in a professional manner without needing to threaten them with war. A deal is already on the table, it just needs some re negotiating on, particular emphasis on Irish border issue and few other issues. Second option is not no deal fella, I know what it is but I cannot discuss further.