Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hi Jdc , love the Scania , is that vehicle sign written or decals ?

JAKEY:
Hi Jdc , love the Scania , is that vehicle sign written or decals ?

Hi Jakey, Its signwritten this time. Some of ours have decals but this one was signwritten. Thanks for the comment, we think it looks pretty good. Am currently looking at putting another one on the road and was hoping for a Topline Cab but this is a special build so has pretty much priced itself out of it. I can get a G Cab with Highline cab which was the same as I had on demo earlier this year and I reacon that would look nice with a decent body behind it. How are you finding trade?

JAKEY:
Carl im sure the boss at the time burnt the lot , It was because he knew Terry was going to M1 body builders and didnt want him to take any info with him .
Terry and a few of his men then started up on there own , All of my trucks except the Atego were built by Terry .

I would be surprised if Jeff or Ken Marsden would part with them, as they represented their life’s work.
One of the last vans they built for us was in Marsden’s stand the 1984 Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court. Like a fool I never took a photo of this, as it was just one of so many that I never bothered to take. However it was in Commercial Motor in their show revue, so perhaps someone has a copy of it and I keep hoping it will turn up somewhere on this site, as it represents the best of Marsden in their heyday.

jdc , trade was slow up to may (as expected) then very very busy , this week and next is at bit slow butmy diary is not full up to christmas , only the odd day free , how about you ?

Pretty much the same, we haven’t had the quieter period that has become the norm between the summer rush and christmas, it has remained busy. Prices are a bit hit and miss, with too many idiots not knowing or wanting to charge a decent rate but that is an age old complaint which I doubt will never change :unamused:

Gents, thanks for the photos and details. I’d never come across those canopy doors before, they look grand but I wonder how they cope when it’s a windy day… It was hard enough coping with the barn doors on the side of a 2000+ cu ft DAF 2100 I drove back in the 80s if a breeze got up, but I guess body makers have got their act together and know what they’re doing.

@ jdc that Scania looks the bees knees, wish that sort of kit had been around in my day.

jdc:
Prices are a bit hit and miss, with too many idiots not knowing or wanting to charge a decent rate but that is an age old complaint which I doubt will never change :unamused:

Same old same old huh? :unamused: :wink:

Yes guys , priceing is a bit hit and miss , we are now going t obe busy up untill xmas and we have the 4/5/6th of jan now very busy , not sure about the rest of the 2012 . :open_mouth:
When Im a bit concerned I go and speak to my father who has being doing this job from 11 years old , he is now 87 and only finshed working two years ago .

ParkRoyal2100:
@ jdc that Scania looks the bees knees, wish that sort of kit had been around in my day.

Thanks for that, we think it looks nice. We try to give the guys a bit of comfort. Its a shame they haven’t invented a truck that loads and unloads itself yet, I’m sure the guys would love that :smiley:

JAKEY:
Yes guys , priceing is a bit hit and miss , we are now going t obe busy up untill xmas and we have the 4/5/6th of jan now very busy , not sure about the rest of the 2012 . :open_mouth:
When Im a bit concerned I go and speak to my father who has being doing this job from 11 years old , he is now 87 and only finshed working two years ago .

My Dad is slightly younger at 70 but still in the office most days, again, he is a fountain of knowledge and still offers to go out and help when the ■■■■ hits the fan…he does try to avoid stair work though, reacons he getting too old for them :smiley:

Hi jdc , at 70 your dad should be on the bungalows only :laughing: , my dads says its the job that has kept him alive up to now :laughing: , not sure about that :smiley:

Not a truck but my dads last vehicle he was driving , its named “the guvnor” , its ten years old now and was resprayed this year after the Renault garages valeter did not dilute the shampoo and washed it in the sun , it wrecked the paint :cry: , I was not happy but I got a full respray out of them :open_mouth: . Any way we use it for doing quotes and delivering boxes .
We have used it on very tight access jobs to tranship some boxes etc .

Our Atego is in for a mild refurb , they say two more weeks , we will see !!!

another shot , My driver cant wait , its the longest he has ever gone without driving a truck in 20 years of driving .

Jakey,

Whos doing the refurb on the merc? I sent one in to Sparshatts a couple of years before they went pop and I have to say the job they did was pretty shoddy. The trouble was they were close, a decision I regret!

Hi jdc , all of my trucks were built by terry where ever he worked except the merc atego ,which was built by JS FRASERS of Standlake oxford , so we went back to them as they knew the vehicle ,Frasers build all the race car trailers for f1 so they know what they are doing , Call them and ask for phil , if not pm me your number and I will speak to Phil and get him to call you .How are the enquirys down your way coming in ?

Hello mate, Enquiries down here are not too bad, have stayed at a constant level since summer so can’t complain. We are pretty much booked up till w/c 12.12.11 and haven’t had the pre christmas rush of stuff out of store yet!

That said w/c 5.12.11 we have 10 men booked all week for the NHS in Portsmouth for a hospital move that was planned in May this year so we got good money for that :wink:

Be interesting to see what next year will be like! You come up against GB Liners much?

Hi jdc , No we dont come up against Gb liners as the closest depot is Cheltenham , Are they giving out cheap quotes then ?

For some reason I thought you were based more Cirencester way, till I looked a bit closer at your address!!! They are a good company to quote against, they do the job correctly and price it well! You always know when quoting against them that you don’t have to trim the price :smiley:

As an aside, I used to be the manager of their Cheltenham depot :wink:

The Atego down a tight passage way with vehicle access , picture taken in early 2010 .

Same location in Headington on same day .