Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

marktaff:

JAKEY:
started at 5.55am got back to the yard at 8.30pm ,but ran out of driving time at Membury , one of my drivers bought the Vito out ,he drove mine back and my porter drove the vito back , unloaded two of the items off on to another van ,bound for Cromer and Cambridge ,finished at 850pm. :open_mouth:

Hi Steve,
That looks and sounds like a hard and long day there mate…fair climb up that hill even with the hand truck…you must have been knackered.

Hi mark,was you passing Leigh delamere about 3 pm as I seen a daf heading that way eastbound,how’s the family mate hope ok

smallcoal:

marktaff:

JAKEY:
started at 5.55am got back to the yard at 8.30pm ,but ran out of driving time at Membury , one of my drivers bought the Vito out ,he drove mine back and my porter drove the vito back , unloaded two of the items off on to another van ,bound for Cromer and Cambridge ,finished at 850pm. :open_mouth:

Hi Steve,
That looks and sounds like a hard and long day there mate…fair climb up that hill even with the hand truck…you must have been knackered.

Hi mark,was you passing Leigh delamere about 3 pm as I seen a daf heading that way eastbound,how’s the family mate hope ok

Hi John,
No mate that wasn’t me it must have been the other 5 pallet van… I’m out in France as we speak…family good mate…how you doing…where are you this week ?

Carl Williams:
“DEANB”

Thompsons Bedford 1978.

Hi Dean, to the right you will see the rear of one of our Bedford Marsdens. If you kook closely it illustrates how they managed to fit the Radcliffe 2 tier tail lift inside the rear so it could be totally enclosed within the rear doors. They did quite a few like these for us from about 1986.

If you compare with this Marsden built trailer in this Ebro advert you can see the ram at the top & the side rails which were all successfully hidden & enclosed by the rear doors.
As you can imagine quite a lot of design was involved by both Marsden & Radcliffe tail lifts, and it meant that when we washed with our Wilcomatic vehicle wash the brushes washing the rear were not obstructed & the flat rear was clean. Often on buses you can see were the brushes leave dirt marks where the rear is not flat.

Regards Carl

This meant the rear of the vehicles always presented a clean view with no tailboard tagged on the rear and ugly rails showing. The operational benefit was significant also as it kept the tail lift ram which was up at the roof inside & the rails which enclosed the cables free from dirt and in particular salt & grit during winter months so the taillifts worked more efficiently

Hello Carl, Must admit i missed your motor completely ! :unamused: The pic Mark popped on was not in the same magazine.
Nice bit of advertising back in the day on the tail lift brochure. :wink:

DEANB:

Carl Williams:
“DEANB”

Thompsons Bedford 1978.

Hi Dean, to the right you will see the rear of one of our Bedford Marsdens. If you kook closely it illustrates how they managed to fit the Radcliffe 2 tier tail lift inside the rear so it could be totally enclosed within the rear doors. They did quite a few like these for us from about 1986.

If you compare with this Marsden built trailer in this Ebro advert you can see the ram at the top & the side rails which were all successfully hidden & enclosed by the rear doors.
As you can imagine quite a lot of design was involved by both Marsden & Radcliffe tail lifts, and it meant that when we washed with our Wilcomatic vehicle wash the brushes washing the rear were not obstructed & the flat rear was clean. Often on buses you can see were the brushes leave dirt marks where the rear is not flat.

Regards Carl

Hi Dean and Mark,

The photo was from 1980 Motor Show at National Exhibition Centre Birmingham

This was, I believe the first full motor show which combined the Motor show which had always been staged annually at Earls court London and the bi-annual Commercial Motor Show which was bi-annually at Earls Court.

So either the date you have quoted as 1978 is wrong or it is a coincidence that another one of our vans was caught in a photo in 1978. We had quite a few of these vans built identical by Marsden so I suppose they could be two separate occasions.

When I said identical the motor show van was finished to an extreme high standard with the floor inside the rear coloured like floor tiles. The Bedford KG chassis scuttle also was a ‘Special Build’ and the total vehicle was planned over a 12 month period. When we got it back to Spennymoor, I asked our fitters if they could see anything different on the Bedford bit and they said not. In 1948 we had a Bedford on the Spurling stand at Earls Court which again had been a ‘Special build’ and much of the engine had been chrome plated and Bedford had made a huge effort, as had Spurlings the body builder. Marsden always had a high standard of workmanship but they had ‘lined’ some of the paintwork and fitted a better front bumper

Sadly we no longer have The Commercial Motor Show. I have gone to Tipex several times at Harrogate but in fairness its like staying in a Travel Lodge where as Commercial Motor Show was the Savoy, which photos on here show from time to time.

Regards
Carl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are right Carl, it was 1980. I was scanning bits from the 1978 and 1980 mags at the same time. :unamused: :laughing:

Advert from 1961.

Hi Dean ,great advert of a lovely Bedford ,here’s some pics of bar logo,the logo seems to have changed a bit colour wise

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great advert John , lovely advert Dean, John why did the luton on that Bedford cut short of the cab ? because if they were not Tilting cabs ,then they might gone out a 3/4 foot more ?

JAKEY:
Great advert John , lovely advert Dean, John why did the luton on that Bedford cut short of the cab ? because if they were not Tilting cabs ,then they might gone out a 3/4 foot more ?

Hi Steve the Luton was a sleeper there’s a ladder on the side the fords were the same there was room for the cab to be tilted the Luton front had little air skirts on it ,I slept in that a couple of times no night heaters then just a gas fire Johnny put in it :laughing: ,how’s work with you mate

Here’s a clearer shot if you zoom it up you will see what I mean see the ford in the background the Luton had steps on it undo two catches on front of Luton so when you tipped the cab it would push the front up

1CBFF3AA-7F32-4B30-A064-D06F2C8F2614.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bullens.

1980 advert.

1986 advert.

Article from 1982.

Click on pages once/twice.

This picture is for Jakey and the removal lads. William Webster of Wigan operated this steam lorry and drawbar trailer
on their furniture removal business. It is an “Excelsior” steamer, made by The Foden Steam Wagon Co., of Sandbach
in Cheshire. It was driven at 6 M.P.H…probably fast enough with what looks like rather minimal brake equipment.
Ray Smyth.

Ray , thank you for the photo ,what a beauty , love the old aprons too ,still got mine but not worn it for a few years now .

Hi Steve ,where you been mate on your holidays,how’s work with you ,we used to wear aprons on Jones,s burgundy colour ,not heard of mark at all he must be busy ,I been on local my dads tumours have grown we don’t know how long he got till next week so not been on properly

Hello John, So sorry to hear this news :cry: , I say a pray for him mate later .

No away soon though ,I am counting the days down ,I have not been off since this time last year ,struggling lately (must loose weight) :laughing: , lots of long hard walks on my jobs I been on .

JAKEY:
Hello John, So sorry to hear this news :cry: , I say a pray for him mate later .

No away soon though ,I am counting the days down ,I have not been off since this time last year ,struggling lately (must loose weight) :laughing: , lots of long hard walks on my jobs I been on .

Hi Steve many thanks mate means a lot ,where you off to anywhere nice how’s your lot doing

Hello John,

Hope your old fella feels better soon mate .

I am off to Lanzarote , been there twice before ,love it ,only for a week at a time though ! I starting aching to get back before the whole place crashes to the ground !!

I must start eating more heathly ! the old legs groan on the stair work these days ,although I have notices as I been out more for the last month or so ,my weight is dropping off again .

Have you seen Mark yet ?

JAKEY:
Hello John,

Hope your old fella feels better soon mate .

I am off to Lanzarote , been there twice before ,love it ,only for a week at a time though ! I starting aching to get back before the whole place crashes to the ground !!

I must start eating more heathly ! the old legs groan on the stair work these days ,although I have notices as I been out more for the last month or so ,my weight is dropping off again .

Have you seen Mark yet ?

Hi Steve ,no not seen mark at all ,lanzarote sounds great who in charge when you go mate ,went to see the old man yesterday in hospital he got some kind of bacteria at moment they don’t know what type be popping over later to see him

Hi mark,what’s that merc doing in your yard ,I delivered a pallet of paint to city moves some stuff in the old warehouse,I used to tip slit coil in there when it was signode ,they got a wagon all masked ready for painting in there

Advert from 1962.

Thats what you call a luton. :laughing: Anyone know the gross weight of that truck back in 1962 ■■? :unamused: Think its an AEC ?

Click on page twice.