Birdseye

Walls and Embisco, so not strictly following the BirdsEye thread, but part of the history of the BEW history from Gloucester - and some great Scanias from the early 1980s. I remember dad saying he liked driving for Embisco - it being more relaxed than Walls !! AFH 206T must have been a regular drive for him as it’s got his flags and homemade curtains up in the back of the day cab.

OFH921V - Churchdown and Bellshill~3.jpg

An interesting one. A couple of Gloucester’s 111s parked up at Acton in 1984 - perhaps being used as shunters by this time, as the DAF 3300s would have been in service by now. Also a 112 in yellow - was this the only one of the three that remained in Walls livery?

Some interesting history there ,can’t say i’ d ever heard of Embisco before , great pictures you’ve posted up too .

Nice to see the 112 in colour & those DAF 3300 always did look good in Birsdeye livery, Thanks for posting…

Hi, for what it’s worth, I was deputiy manager of Unispeed Grimsby and Manager of Unispeed Manchester from 1975 until we were closed by NFC in 1986. When I arrived we had a domestic fleet of Volvo F 86s with 3 F88s and a left hand drive F89 on continental work. The international work closed and the F86s were gradually replaced by Ford Transcontinentals except for 2 Seddon Atkinson’s, one which was completely destroyed in a road traffic accident killing the driver. The cab was fibreglass rather than steel so protection was minimal. After that accident, most of the drivers refused to drive the other Seddon and it was eventually replaced. Lowestoft depot used Leylands as did Dales of London, the London based depot of Unispeed. Hope that explains a few things.

■■■■19751986:
Hi, for what it’s worth, I was deputiy manager of Unispeed Grimsby and Manager of Unispeed Manchester from 1975 until we were closed by NFC in 1986. When I arrived we had a domestic fleet of Volvo F 86s with 3 F88s and a left hand drive F89 on continental work. The international work closed and the F86s were gradually replaced by Ford Transcontinentals except for 2 Seddon Atkinson’s, one which was completely destroyed in a road traffic accident killing the driver. The cab was fibreglass rather than steel so protection was minimal. After that accident, most of the drivers refused to drive the other Seddon and it was eventually replaced. Lowestoft depot used Leylands as did Dales of London, the London based depot of Unispeed. Hope that explains a few things.

Heres one of there Transcon’s.

A02358.JPG