Beware Dodgy Agencies!

sammym:

SheldonWhyte:
Thanks for all your replies, guys. They’ve ALL been helpful, and I guess that’s why I posted - I do need advice on this!
When I got into the office they asked me if I’d brought my licences - I said yes, and started to pull 'em out of me wallet. They then asked me if I’d driven a 7.5 tonne lorry before. In a split second I had the choice of lying or telling the truth. I told the truth. That’s what lost me the job. The point is, I was told by the agency that I didn’t have to have experience as “training would be given”…
Well, I’ve learnt a few valuable lessons from the experience, so I guess that’s something. And I appreciate all of your replies, home truths, and words of advice. If they hadn’t asked me any questions I would’ve kept quiet and gone with the flow, but lying (esp in a situation like that) went right against the grain - also I was caught off guard.
Anyway, thanks for all of your input. I’ll just keep on trying. And, no, I’m not tempted to name or shame anybody. As tough as it is, it’s all a good learning experience! :neutral_face:

Take the lesson and move on. I learned it all on the job. How to reverse, how to open curtains, how to use pump trolley, how to use taillift. Even how to deal with deliveries and rdcs.

You need to keep plugging. After your first job you do have experience. I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged. Going forward - accept you won’t be perfect and lie through your teeth. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

I’m all for blagging experience, it’s how I got my start. It has got more difficult these days as companies now check everything, more difficult, but not impossible. Be careful when blagging experience as these things can come back to bite you, you wouldn’t start off by saying you have experience of heavy haulage or petrol tankers, if you did and they asked you to move a giant dumper truck from Newcastle to central London then you are going to have a problem. Keep it simple, I told them that I had experience of boxes and nothing else. It is tempting when they ask you to do curtains to say you’ve done it before, but this is a bad idea. You will look a plank when you don’t know how to open the curtains, or how to properly secure the load. They will know that you have never done it before. I told them I had years of experience on box 7.5 and the company I had gone to for a curtainsider trained me. The lie was in tact, nobody knew any better.

The last tip I have about blagging experience is that it’s a bad idea to tell them you have artic experience if you don’t. You will get caught out. If you are going to lie and tell them that you have… say 6 months class 1 experience for the sake of argument, tell them it was on an a frame. These handle totally different to an artic, so when you don’t take to it like a duck to water, it will raise less eyebrows. When I left tuffnells, I had 3 weeks experience of an a frame (my reasons for leaving tuffnells was nothing to do with the wagon I was driving, it was an issue with management) but seeing as I wasn’t driving an a frame in my new job, it was an artic, I stretched my experience. It worked.

It is possible to get a start as a newbie with no experience by fibbing a bit. Lots of people do it, and it is possible to fib and not get caught. #1 keep things as basic as possible. If the job is on a flat bed and you say you’ve done the job for 10 years elsewhere, don’t be surprised when your employment only lasts one shift. #2 a lie is best hidden between 2 truths. Don’t feed a prospective employer a load of bs and nothing else, unless you are only planning to stay there for a VERY short period.

sammym:

Roymondo:

sammym:
I agree. But it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence. The agencies job is to check the license etc.

In your limited experience, maybe. But many (or even most) of the big operators routinely download agency drivers’ digicards at both ends of every shift, simply so they can confirm that the driver has enough driving and duty time available to cover the proposed run and that his licence is valid on that day.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I totally agree. And I was giving my experience based as a new pass. My last job was working for a sub contractor to dhl. And I did need to downals cards for that. However most new pass agency class 2 work is not that sort of company.

I’m not going to quote taxhograph, but I’m guessing he or she is an experienced class 1 driver working for blue chips. He or she needs to get into the real world of new pass jobs before throwing insults around.

Whilst I am sure that he(?) Will respond himself I don’t see any insult there. Suggests if you’re going to lie, tell the same lie. Pretty reasonable advice to me…

I went straight to class 1 as there is very little class 2 work in my area. Depends if you’re looking for full time but I went to a company that is known for long hours and low pay. Because I was working for “them” they invested time in training me. There were “better” offers in terms of money or hours but didn’t have that support. There are firms that will train new passes but they won’t be the “best” jobs but that support at the start has been worth it

jbaz73:

sammym:

SheldonWhyte:
Thanks for all your replies, guys. They’ve ALL been helpful, and I guess that’s why I posted - I do need advice on this!
When I got into the office they asked me if I’d brought my licences - I said yes, and started to pull 'em out of me wallet. They then asked me if I’d driven a 7.5 tonne lorry before. In a split second I had the choice of lying or telling the truth. I told the truth. That’s what lost me the job. The point is, I was told by the agency that I didn’t have to have experience as “training would be given”…
Well, I’ve learnt a few valuable lessons from the experience, so I guess that’s something. And I appreciate all of your replies, home truths, and words of advice. If they hadn’t asked me any questions I would’ve kept quiet and gone with the flow, but lying (esp in a situation like that) went right against the grain - also I was caught off guard.
Anyway, thanks for all of your input. I’ll just keep on trying. And, no, I’m not tempted to name or shame anybody. As tough as it is, it’s all a good learning experience! :neutral_face:

Take the lesson and move on. I learned it all on the job. How to reverse, how to open curtains, how to use pump trolley, how to use taillift. Even how to deal with deliveries and rdcs.

You need to keep plugging. After your first job you do have experience. I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged. Going forward - accept you won’t be perfect and lie through your teeth. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

I’m all for blagging experience, it’s how I got my start. It has got more difficult these days as companies now check everything, more difficult, but not impossible. Be careful when blagging experience as these things can come back to bite you, you wouldn’t start off by saying you have experience of heavy haulage or petrol tankers, if you did and they asked you to move a giant dumper truck from Newcastle to central London then you are going to have a problem. Keep it simple, I told them that I had experience of boxes and nothing else. It is tempting when they ask you to do curtains to say you’ve done it before, but this is a bad idea. You will look a plank when you don’t know how to open the curtains, or how to properly secure the load. They will know that you have never done it before. I told them I had years of experience on box 7.5 and the company I had gone to for a curtainsider trained me. The lie was in tact, nobody knew any better.

The last tip I have about blagging experience is that it’s a bad idea to tell them you have artic experience if you don’t. You will get caught out. If you are going to lie and tell them that you have… say 6 months class 1 experience for the sake of argument, tell them it was on an a frame. These handle totally different to an artic, so when you don’t take to it like a duck to water, it will raise less eyebrows. When I left tuffnells, I had 3 weeks experience of an a frame (my reasons for leaving tuffnells was nothing to do with the wagon I was driving, it was an issue with management) but seeing as I wasn’t driving an a frame in my new job, it was an artic, I stretched my experience. It worked.

It is possible to get a start as a newbie with no experience by fibbing a bit. Lots of people do it, and it is possible to fib and not get caught. #1 keep things as basic as possible. If the job is on a flat bed and you say you’ve done the job for 10 years elsewhere, don’t be surprised when your employment only lasts one shift. #2 a lie is best hidden between 2 truths. Don’t feed a prospective employer a load of bs and nothing else, unless you are only planning to stay there for a VERY short period.

Is it a good idea to blag experience when their insurance only covers experienced drivers?
Is it good to blag on the phone, but when you arrive and your licence is checked they see the truth?
Maybe it worked for you, but is it really a good idea?

“Beware Dodgy Agencies” is the title on this thread.
I wonder if there`s a mirror site somewhere with a thread “Beware Dodgy Drivers”?
:smiley:

Maybe I’m old - fashioned. But I was brought up not to lie - and I don’t. And if someone came to me for work and I discovered they had lied to me to get the job, they’d be gone immediately as I wouldn’t be able to trust them.

Just remember that EVERY driver on the road started with zero experience. If lying is the only way into the job, there’s something badly wrong.

A good standard new pass driver will only need mentoring for one shift (CAT C) and possibly two or three shifts on CE unless the job is very unusual. And any sensible employer will put that investment in to a new driver as it protects their own interests. I would never consider letting a newly qualified instructor loose until they’ve proved themselves to either myself or a very experienced mentor. It costs cash but ensures that reputation and vehicles remain undamaged.

I hope folks will consider their personal integrity when applying for work. A potential employer stands the same chance of seeing integrity as he does smelling bs. So why not do it properly?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

sammym:
I’m not going to quote taxhograph, but I’m guessing he or she is an experienced class 1 driver working for blue chips. He or she needs to get into the real world of new pass jobs before throwing insults around.

You don’t need to I’ll quote it for you.

tachograph:

sammym:
I agree. But it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence. The agencies job is to check the license etc.

I’ll have to wait to see what the OP says - and it’s rubbish for him either way. But my guess is he could have said something and I’m trying to give him advice to stop it happening in the future.

What complete and utter nonsense, it’s the companies responsibility to ensure that their drivers are licenced and legal to drive, when I was on agency most of the companies I drove for downloaded driver cards at the start of the shift and many would also check driving licenses.

I’m not sure whether or not you actually drive HGVs but if you do you’re hardly in a good position to give anyone advise, in the few weeks you claim to have been driving HGVs you’ve hardly covered yourself in glory have you :unamused:

If you’re offended by what I said tough luck because I’ll happily repeat it, you’re clearly clueless about the road haulage industry but choose to pretend that you’re in a position to advise new drivers, now if you was giving correct advice based on experience it would be fine but you choose to make things up in order to look like you know what you’re talking about :unamused:

Again, while any company using agency drivers would expect the agency to check the drivers licence so they only send drivers with the appropriate licence it in no way negates the companies legal responsibility to ensure that people who drive for them are qualified to do so.

You claim that “it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence”, I can speak from experience of driving for both large and small companies that what you said is complete and utter nonsense, most companies I drove for when on agency downloaded the agency drivers card at the start of the shift, in fact many compnaies I drove for downloaded all the drivers cards at the start of every shift regardless of whether the drivers were agency or not.

You’ve already admitted that “I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged” so where does this experience of it being “very very rare” for driver cards to be downloaded at the start of a shift come from :unamused:

Now let me give you some advice, if you don’t like being called out on talking [zb] … don’t talk [zb], save the blagging for the obviously desperate companies who let you drive for them rather than trying it here where new drivers may not have the experience to know that you’re talking out of your arse :unamused:

tachograph:
You claim that “it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence”, I can speak from experience of driving for both large and small companies that what you said is complete and utter nonsense, most companies I drove for when on agency downloaded the agency drivers card at the start of the shift, in fact many compnaies I drove for downloaded all the drivers cards at the start of every shift regardless of whether the drivers were agency or not.

And most companies I drive for do not. We clearly have different experiences - that doesn’t make yours more valid. Perhaps they check yours more carefully because you look dodgy. I don’t know. But it’s not common for cards to be checked like this in my experience.

You’ve already admitted that “I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged” so where does this experience of it being “very very rare” for driver cards to be downloaded at the start of a shift come from :unamused:

It comes from the clients who I have been too. Probably about 20 different ones. Where does your experience come from? Clients you’ve been too?

Now let me give you some advice, if you don’t like being called out on talking [zb] … don’t talk [zb], save the blagging for the obviously desperate companies who let you drive for them rather than trying it here where new drivers may not have the experience to know that you’re talking out of your arse :unamused:

Rather than repeating yourself - why not ask other ‘new’ drivers if it’s common for them to have to scan cards before agency work?

Any agency bod who turns up at our place has a full licence check via the gov website, digi card is downloaded and copies are made of all cards. They don’t get near a truck beforehand.

Personally I wouldn’t take any “advice” from our resident demolition derby driver who’s done more damage in two months than most do in two decades.
Who turns up to do a shift having not been to sleep the night before.
Who in two months seems to think he’s absorbed enough experience and knowledge to reeducate people who’ve been at it longer than he’s been alive.

He’s got a full thread here of drivers with considerably more experience telling him he’s not correct and cards will be looked at but yet still thinks he’s right.

harrawaffa:
Any agency bod who turns up at our place has a full licence check via the gov website, digi card is downloaded and copies are made of all cards. They don’t get near a truck beforehand.

Personally I wouldn’t take any “advice” from our resident demolition derby driver who’s done more damage in two months than most do in two decades.
Who turns up to do a shift having not been to sleep the night before.
Who in two months seems to think he’s absorbed enough experience and knowledge to reeducate people who’ve been at it longer than he’s been alive.

He’s got a full thread here of drivers with considerably more experience telling him he’s not correct and cards will be looked at but yet still thinks he’s right.

He’s studying for a PhD, driving for pocket money. Of course he’s right :smiley:

sammym:

tachograph:

And most companies I drive for do not. We clearly have different experiences - that doesn’t make yours more valid. Perhaps they check yours more carefully because you look dodgy. I don’t know. But it’s not common for cards to be checked like this in my experience.

More likely that if you drive at-all the agencies will only send you to cowboy outfits because of your appalling driving record.

I’m not getting into a long winded debate about this with someone I don’t believe is genuine, at the end of the day new drivers only have to read some of your posts about the accidents you’ve had and your driving unroadworthy vehicles to decide whether they should take any notice of you or not.

tachograph:

sammym:

tachograph:

More likely that if you drive at-all the agencies will only send you to cowboy outfits because of your appalling driving record.

I’m not getting into a long winded debate about this with someone I don’t believe is genuine, at the end of the day new drivers only have to read some of your posts about the accidents you’ve had and your driving unroadworthy vehicles to decide whether they should take any notice of you or not.

Don’t feed the trolls Mr Mod,Why are you replying to this guy ?,For once i agree with you .This fella is another of those ingenuine members we are being flooded with .

Beetlejuice:

tachograph:

sammym:

tachograph:

Don’t feed the trolls Mr Mod,Why are you replying to this guy ?,For once i agree with you .This fella is another of those ingenuine members we are being flooded with .

The trouble is, if bad info is put up, without anyone pointing out the error it could be taken as good advice. Especially here on the Newbie section.
There’ll always be differences of opinion, but sometimes it’s more important than that.
After all this section is for less experienced drivers who are interested in summat more than the design of cold stores or whatever.
[emoji6]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

sammym:

Nows here’s a person who complains about an imaginary insult then def insults a very experienced and respected member on here by calling them ‘dodgy’ ■■

sammym:
It comes from the clients who I have been too. Probably about 20 different…

There’s no way you’ve been anywhere near 20 clients , all your posts point to at most 5 and of those at least 2 have ended in damage that you couldn’t care less about causing, I seem to recall you setting up a Ltd Co, how that going? Are you claiming you supply experienced driver services in that as well [emoji6]

Overall your still a massive liability both in driving and in giving so called advice.

By your own admission all this is ‘just for a laugh’

People like you should stick to uni and I despair at what your like at that - least PhD - it’s all supposition so maybe that’s where your make it up comes from

You’ve been caught spouting BS yet still think your right - def despair now at what else your going to come out with[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to know a lot about me - without knowing either my real name or me at all. In fact, you know more about me than I do according to you.

My limited company is going okay thanks. It’s nice that I will be able to offset my class 1 training against my tax bill - and plan on only taking a max of the tax allowance from it. So it works out well for me. I’m not VAT registered - but it means that I get over 20% more on my hourly rate, so I’m happy. I’ve already got enough in the company account to cover the class 1 training - so as a start up it’s really good.

I never plan on making driving a full-time career. I’m in the fortunate position where I don’t have to make it my whole world. For me I’ll do it until I don’t want to. For now, I enjoy driving for the most part. I love seeing places I’ve never seen. I love seeing technology I’ve never seen. I love experiencing new things and learning stuff - and am able to do so whilst earning some pocket money. I’m hoping it will pay for a new motorbike and I have a holiday booked which it will cover.

I’m sure you are a much better driver than I will ever be. Congratulations. Honestly - I’d like to be better. But the cold hard reality is that for all my failings that seem to matter to you… I am totally inundated with offers for work. I’m signed up with two agencies - and am able to pick and chose not only the shifts I do, but also the city where I do them. I’m sure they are not the best jobs - but the pay is reasonable and I’m happy. As a new pass I don’t think I could ask for anything more.

2 months @ 30 days/month works out at a maximum of 3 days at each of 20 companies IF you illegally work all 7 days every week. Just saying.

Lucy:
2 months @ 30 days/month works out at a maximum of 3 days at each of 20 companies IF you illegally work all 7 days every week. Just saying.

Alternatively if you are an an ad hoc driver it’s the equivelant to about 2 shifts a week. Which is less striking. Just saying.

sammym:

Lucy:

Alternatively if you are an an ad hoc driver it’s the equivelant to about 2 shifts a week. Which is less striking. Just saying.

Must a ■■■■ good rate you charge if your only doing 2 shifts a week (which at most places are around 10hrs at least ) ad hoc to have saved up for Class 1 and a holiday already with a motorbike on way . Even if you meant 2 shifts per client per week etc it still doesn’t add up

Just saying [emoji849]

dcgpx:

sammym:

Lucy:

Must a ■■■■ good rate you charge if your only doing 2 shifts a week (which at most places are around 10hrs at least ) ad hoc to have saved up for Class 1 and a holiday already with a motorbike on way . Even if you meant 2 shifts per client per week etc it still doesn’t add up

Just saying [emoji849]

Where have I said I only do 2 shifts a week? I ask as I currently don’t - but it’s what I’d like to do. And where have I said a motorbike is on the way?

What’s I’ve actually said is that I’m really happy with how things are going - and I feel like I’m doing okay. Both in terms of how my driving is coming on and also financially.

I’ll make this point and then leave it - as realistically this isn’t helping any new drivers (or anyone for that matter) - for all the people who want to pick holes and criticise, I’m perfectly happy with my decision to do my class 2 driving course. Anyone who is thinking about doing it should in my opinion. I think that even if you don’t want to make it a full time job it’s a decent way to always be able to generate some income if ever needed - and the part no one tells you is that it’s mostly good fun.