Being a drivers mate doing multi drop

Franglais:
If I was a copper/VOSA and stopped a truck…
Two in the cab, one with a card in slot one; the second who has a card, but didn’t have it in slot 2 at the time of the stop…
Wouldn’t i be seeing a failure to keep current records?

What’s to stop putting 2nd driver’s card in slot 2, then correcting the auto recorded period of rest or availability by manual entry when swooping it into slot 1?

Never thought about this scenario before.
I would imagine failing to keep records and looking like someone trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is more likely than being busted for making a phone call from the passenger seat?

No way would I think being a crew member and deliberately leaving your card out of slot 2 is sensible.

Edit to add:
Can’t the slot 2 card be put on duty? I thought it only recorded POA as break when switched onto break or POA? Never tried it so not sure.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say that having your card not in slot 2 and making working related phone calls is any more failing to keep records than having your card in slot 2 recording POA and making work related phone calls would be. Ie that would be doing other work whilst recording POA which is actually a more serious offence than failing to keep records, that would considered as falsifying records.

I think he’s correct not having not having in and doing a manual entry at the end of the shift.

Same with a driver trainer with a learner. He wouldn’t put his card in slot 2 because he’s working whilst instructing, not on POA. so he’d have to put a manual entry in. That’s not a failure to keep records.

Sat in the puddlejumper right now, having a day as a porter. Card in me pocket. Will do a manual at end of shift to show other work and breaks.
If that was anywhere near being illegal you can bet John Lewis compliance would be aaaalll over it.

DickyNick:

Franglais:
If I was a copper/VOSA and stopped a truck…
Two in the cab, one with a card in slot one; the second who has a card, but didn’t have it in slot 2 at the time of the stop…
Wouldn’t i be seeing a failure to keep current records?

What’s to stop putting 2nd driver’s card in slot 2, then correcting the auto recorded period of rest or availability by manual entry when swooping it into slot 1?

Never thought about this scenario before.
I would imagine failing to keep records and looking like someone trying to ‘pull a fast one’ is more likely than being busted for making a phone call from the passenger seat?

No way would I think being a crew member and deliberately leaving your card out of slot 2 is sensible.

Edit to add:
Can’t the slot 2 card be put on duty? I thought it only recorded POA as break when switched onto break or POA? Never tried it so not sure.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say that having your card not in slot 2 and making working related phone calls is any more failing to keep records than having your card in slot 2 recording POA and making work related phone calls would be. Ie that would be doing other work whilst recording POA which is actually a more serious offence than failing to keep records, that would considered as falsifying records.

I think he’s correct not having not having in and doing a manual entry at the end of the shift.

Same with a driver trainer with a learner. He wouldn’t put his card in slot 2 because he’s working whilst instructing, not on POA. so he’d have to put a manual entry in. That’s not a failure to keep records.

“Exemptions from EU law
Some types of vehicle are exempt from EU rules. This means they come under GB domestic rules in the UK.
The main types of exempt vehicle are:
…driving instruction or exams - vehicles used for driving instruction and examination. Includes instruction for renewal of Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)…”
Driving schools are a named exemption to EU rules, so, no card has no issues as I see it.

Imagine a driver (D1) starts the shift as a driver. His mate takes over. D1 now sits in the passenger seat, but may be making phone calls.
OK, he is on duty, and if his card is in the tacho, it will record POA of which the first 45min will be treated as break.
I can see that.

Cromer says:
“A two-man tachograph must be used for double-manned operations. The person driving will put his or her card in the primary (No. 1) position and use the activity mode No. 1 to select the appropriate work mode. The second driver will place his or her chart in the No. 2 position and use the No. 2 activity mode to select breaks, other work or periods of availability. The second driver cannot record distance covered or speed on his or her tachograph chart.”
But that seems to only consider tachos where duty can be selected.

If the tacho is incapable of recording the actual event (duty rather than POA) then that is surely a failure of the tachograph itself?

The technical working of the tachograph is not within the control of the driver D1.
Choosing whether or not to put a card in an available slot is the driver`s responsibility.

Id record what the approved device allows me to record as accurately as I can. If the tacho is incapable that isnt my fault, surely?

Thanks for the info I think I will continue doing manual entries at the end of my shift if I’m a passanger for now