Tidy 1983 Turkish TK

whisperingsmith:
NMP
Tidy 1983 Turkish TK0

So thats where Buzzer got the colour scheme from :smiley:

One hell of a length NMP off FB

coomsey:
One hell of a length NMP off FB

Surely built for a specific purpose, no? What do you suppose it was built to carry?

Hi could possibly be for racing pigeons ?cheers Ray

stargazer148:
Hi could possibly be for racing pigeons ?cheers Ray

Looking at the Opel sign could it be somewhere in Euroland?? Could possibly be for pigs or calves. The tail lift forms a pen and the stock is loaded 15 or 20 at a time

Tyneside

This KM resides in my living room :smiley:

andrew.s:

That is quite superb Andrew!

Ooh ya! NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1640940468913.jpg

Kempston:

andrew.s:

That is quite superb Andrew!

Thanks very much-it’s a model of the first lorry my father owned (number plate is wrong in the pic-it’s now the correct K-reg)

coomsey:
Ooh ya! NMP off FB

I’d happily have that !!!

coomsey:
Ooh ya! NMP off FB

Crikey that is blinged up. Is that down under?

essexpete:

coomsey:
Ooh ya! NMP off FB

Possibly NZ but it’s hard to tell from such a tiny pic.

ParkRoyal2100:

essexpete:

coomsey:
Ooh ya! NMP off FB

Possibly NZ but it’s hard to tell from such a tiny pic.

I reckon you’re onto it with the En Zed speculation, it’s not an Aussie number plate.
A bit dodgy putting a single drive under that load of wool and somewhat ambitious expecting the little 6V53 to tow it. I wouldn’t be suprised if the Bedstead wasn’t posed there for a cheeky photo.

I was looking at some of photos on the internet and what became very clear to me was that virtually every Transport operator back in the day ran a Bedford in some way shape or form. It really is difficult to understand how they finished, I for one really liked the look of the TM and think it was maybe one of the most modern looking motors when it came out, personally I don’t think it looks out of place today.

Kempston:
I was looking at some of photos on the internet and what became very clear to me was that virtually every Transport operator back in the day ran a Bedford in some way shape or form. It really is difficult to understand how they finished, I for one really liked the look of the TM and think it was maybe one of the most modern looking motors when it came out, personally I don’t think it looks out of place today.

You raise an interesting point. It’s difficult to see why the Bedford TM didn’t really take off in a bigger way. It’s stablemates were the likes of F89, Scanny 141, MAN F8, Merc 1628, Transcon, Marathon, SA 400, Crusader, B-series ERF etc. I can understand some customers’ reluctance to accept the Detroit screamer they initially put in the TM but they were soon available in UK with ■■■■■■■ / Fuller (and you could still have the Italian-spec model with the Detroit 400 bhp in it, which was phenomenal power for the time).

My theory is that operators associated Bedford with low-power bog-standard lightweight trucks and couldn’t see Bedford as a TIR truck maker. I reckon exactly the same happened with the ERF ‘European’: people associated ERF with domestic day-cabbed sloggers, not with high-power intercontinental long-haulers. Manufacturers get pigeon-holed and it takes years to change stuff like that. Look at Skoda and how long it took VW to change its image!

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

You raise an interesting point. It’s difficult to see why the Bedford TM didn’t really take off in a bigger way. It’s stablemates were the likes of F89, Scanny 141, MAN F8, Merc 1628, Transcon, Marathon, SA 400, Crusader, B-series ERF etc. I can understand some customers’ reluctance to accept the Detroit screamer they initially put in the TM but they were soon available in UK with ■■■■■■■ / Fuller (and you could still have the Italian-spec model with the Detroit 400 bhp in it, which was phenomenal power for the time).

My theory is that operators associated Bedford with low-power bog-standard lightweight trucks and couldn’t see Bedford as a TIR truck maker. I reckon exactly the same happened with the ERF ‘European’: people associated ERF with domestic day-cabbed sloggers, not with high-power intercontinental long-haulers. Manufacturers get pigeon-holed and it takes years to change stuff like that. Look at Skoda and how long it took VW to change its image!

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.

Out and about today

1D032D53-4987-485C-98DA-9ADC2FCB912A.jpeg

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

Perhaps too Bedford could not supply the same dealer support in Europe as the other brands mentioned. That would have been a big negative point for me.

Could never get excited about the TM to me it was bland looking, a square box. Same with the Roadtrain just found it uninteresting neither had any character. The late 70’s recession didn’t help a now ailing Bedford, the TM just didn’t cut it in a difficult market and with the TL looking like a tweaked TK it never did as well. Franky.