Back Problems - Scania? Maybe not!

I had similar problems. I didn’t do any lifting or handball, i did jump of trailers and catwalks. I was so bad that inside my stomach was hurting and my back hurt if i coughed. Not down to one type of truck either as i drove different ones everyday. I seen the doctor he booked me to see a physio at his surgery and he gave me a loadof excercices to do that i thought was stupid at the time. They worked almost straight off, do them about 3 times a week no probs since.
Here’s the best examples of them i can find with a quick google.
womenfitness.net/top10_yoga_exercises.htm

expertvillage.com/video-seri … -backs.htm

In 2005 I started getting back pain and doing the bloke thing swallowed the pain killers, heat rubs, soldier on grin and bear it. When rubbing in the heat rubs I thought I felt some thing not quite right went to see my GP, (recomended 30 minutes of walking a day) haemotologist, (I was seeing him as I have had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma since 2000) who arranged an X-ray and CT scan, and a chiropractor who did some manipulation and deep massage.

After about 3 months of increasing agony my legs started to adopt a will of thier own before one night they stopped working altogether and was then taken into hospital as an emergency. The MRI scan that I had that day showed a tumour had grown in the spinal area and compressed the spinal cord.

Long story short I was sick for 22 months had steriod therapy, radiotherapy, 3 different chemo regimes, stem cell transplant and returned to work last July. I have to be very careful about planning different aspects of the job as I live with a disability due to the nerve damage which sadly isn’t going to get any better. Hydrotherapy was very effective for me when I was recuperating and alongside the physio and a PMA has given me a greater perspective on the important things in life. I still use the hydro pool every week and it’s great very warm water, like a bath, and your body weight supported using the water resistance to exercise against. One thing though make sure that your physio therapist is aware that hydrotherapy is being used as there are different exercises available. If the physio doesn’t know them then see if the staff at the hydro pool can help when you first start. I did need to have a referal from my GP as there are some conditions which need extra attention at pool side.

Good luck on your recovery, hope it’s speedy.

I’ve had a back problem for donkeys years and reckon the worst thing any of us can do, is tell someone else to do exercises that have been given to us, unless of course, we know what we’re talking about.
Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but, I was a Kung Fu instructor for quite a few years, and here in Australia you need to be accredited or there’s no insurance cover if you’re not. To get accreditation you need to learn a bit about physiology. This doesn’t make me an expert, but I do know about some gentle stretches and movements to ease a sore back once it’s been diagnosed by a Doctor. A sore back can be caused by muscle trauma, disc or disc’s bulging, wear which can be Osteo Arthritis, often causing a pinched nerve, etc, etc. There can be more serious causes too.
Anyway, the thing is as some of us have already said, don’t jump out of the cab, or off of trucks / trailers. Don’t drive for hours and then hop out and jump straight into loading or unloading without moving around a bit first, to warm up your muscles and joints. Try not to twist when you want to turn, especially if your holding something. Rather than this, move your feet to turn. I know it’s easier said than done, but when you put it into practise it becomes second nature. Try not to get a big gut and drink plenty of water (it flushes the crap out of your system).
As for exercises, I know advice is well intentioned but what works for one, might not work for another. It all depends on what exactly the cause of your soreness is.
Sorry to carry on for so long, but I’m trying to be as clear as I can.

Am currently convalescing from a wedge fracture of my L1 vertebra (technically a broken back) and am ‘between jobs’.

Every sympathy with you, Lostpup, and all others with back problems.

Some good tips on here, some new and some that I’d been practising for years - since my being 6’ 5" and previously an RAF mechanic I was fairly crocked with my back - having been the bloke always told ‘you’re a big fella, lift/carry/push/pull this/that…’

My top-tips?
Sure, drink plenty of water - basic & free but simple & essential.
Consider taking cod liver oil in liquid form: The capsules are small/daft but a neckful of supermarket own brand stuff each day is cheaper than the Seven Seas, etc poncey stuff.
Begin using those postures that appear and feel very gay, ie, bending the knees LOTS.
Buy and use a lumber roll in the wagon/car/home. (Cinema, etc too?).
This one hurts, but consider buying private complimentary medical therapy. My girl’s father is a retired GP so I get my sacral micro-manipulation & cranial osteopathy for free - but it works a treat yet it isn’t mainstream. Prior to him I never hesitated to use an osteopath, excellent for my condition(s) but arguably not for everyone.
(N.B. It’s an interesting situation that the NHS seemingly pooh-pooh’s complimentary manipulation therapies - which I learned whilst doing a Healthcare Diploma. It’s a legacy matter & is basically due to BMA intransigence, drug company profits & contemporary policy issues. Don’t accept your GP’s shoulder shrug if you mention it because he/she might not advocate beyond prescribing/recommending much beyond Ibuprofen & anti-inflammatory route. Besides which, many consider it unethical to recommend therapies that are only available outside the NHS).
Walking is often the best physiotherapy - I cycle lots too (it’s how I broke myself …doh, the less said, etc)
Always consider seeking a second/ third medical opinion. As a patient it is your right to be informed in order to make what the profession calls ‘an informed decision’ about ONE’S OWN health.

See y’all out there…

peterm:
I’ve had a back problem for donkeys years and reckon the worst thing any of us can do, is tell someone else to do exercises that have been given to us,

With hindsight you’re right. I was diagnosed as not having a specific problem, just ‘old age and having to workharder to keep my back in shape’. As with a lotof things go see the doc first.

so is there anything that can be done ? im getting no pay here and im sure that frigging seat was the start of my pains. is it worth me having my concern on record ? or will it lead me up the trouble causer path :frowning:

The seat was probably the last straw. Back pain is usually the end result of some sort of developing trouble, that might have been building up for years. Not wanting to be a doom and gloom merchant, but did you read wiretwisters post ?
It’s always worth checking. As for being tagged a trouble maker for reporting something like that… I s’pose it depends on whether or not you work for an ■■■■■■■■.

I had suffered from back problems for years due to a work related injury and whatever i did just didn’t work. After years of going to see my doctor he found the problem. A broken muscle on my left side that had stopped working so six months with a physio did the job. Although it wasn’t perfect.
The best thing i did was to go on a cross trainer for an hour 3 times per week.
My mate came with me as he had sufferd from a slipped disk problem for years. It was tough at first but we both feel a lot better now. It’s like we didn’t have any problems in the first place.
Have a word with your doctor an see what he thinks about using a cross trainer.
I’m sure you know that lying on your back or sitting on your arse will not make you better, Just worse.

I’m not a doctor, i don’t claim to be a doctor but my mate is a docker. :laughing:

Interesting post, this one. I hope all you guys get back on the road soon. The post reminds me of when I got my first class1 job. There was one lad in particular who did everything he could to help me, giving me loads of helpful advice and tips which have hugely shaped the way I work, I still remember every bit of advice I was given

However, reading this post brought back that the very first thing he said to me was '“never, ever jump out your cab or off the trailer, always climb down safely. Trust me, I’ve been there”.

At the time I didn’t really think anything of it, but, along with his stories, and from what I’ve read here, along with experiencing it myself, I’ve got to say it’s one of the best pieces of advice I’ve had since I started driving, and I would also pass this onto other new drivers too. It’s not worth it in the long term, health comes first.

Paul.

Accupuncture has a very high success rate

tobytyke:
so is there anything that can be done ? im getting no pay here and im sure that frigging seat was the start of my pains. is it worth me having my concern on record ? or will it lead me up the trouble causer path :frowning:

First thing to have done would have to record the “accident” in the company accident book. Apart from any legal redress you may seek later it will also affect any benefits you would be entitled to. I am no benefit expert but from my own experience if you are incapacitated due to an industrial accident different levels can apply, this can be crucial if the problem is going to be long term and with frequent recurring episodes.

You should be getting Statuatory Sick Pay (SSP) as a right for the first 26 weeks when you can then claim Incapacity Benefit (IB). In my case the SSP was included as part of the company sick pay for the first 8 weeks and I had 4 months between SSP ending and IB being processed and paid. That can be another challenge when all you want to be doing is getting better so you should get some good support either from citizens advice or a social worker. I know social workers get a bad press and the local authority social worker was not so good but my hospice social worker was really on the ball and used a range of contacts to speed up the processing of my claim.

Definitely have your concerns on record and as for the trouble maker path well are you not the one in trouble medically?

ellies dad:
Accupuncture has a very high success rate

But make sure that you are comfortable with the practitioner. Check out the acupuncturist, thier premises, the qualifications and your first consultation should be an assessment and not put a needle anywhere near you. If you don’t feel comfortable then “walk away”. I looked at 2 acupuncture clinics before deciding that it wasn’t for me, doesn’t mean you would not benefit.

Well after almost 4 weeks of lying on my stomach, taking heavy duty anti-inflammatory drugs & co-codamol, I am on the road to recovery.

I had an MRI scan a few days ago and am waiting for the results. However the pain is getting less and less as the weeks go by. These are classic symptoms of disc herniation (slipped or prolapsed disc). It starts with pain and numbness in the legs and buttocks, then will suddenly become acute pain when any stress is put on the affected area of the spine (usually lower back). The most painful stress being from sitting.

In 90% of cases it heals itself after a few weeks of bed rest. In my case this appears to be working. However, going on what any healthcare practitioner or person who has suffered from this (including you guys) have told me there appears to be a common cause of problems like these:

• Sitting for prolonged periods over several years weakens the muscles in you back & hip areas making you more susceptible to back injury.
  • Jumping off trailer beds, catwalks, out of cabs, sitting down heavily in your seat, especially when you add the above into the mix increases the risk of back injury.
  • Handballing loads is not necessarily bad - unless you are not used to that kind of exercise.

So, the bottom line seems to be, as with obesity and other ailments associated with lack of exercise, us truckers are prone to back problems. Our bodies weren’t designed to be seated for long periods of time. If there is one thing I have learned from all this, GET MORE EXERCISE!

Thanks to all who have passed on their best wishes.

Good luck mate. Get it moving as soon as you can.