robert1952:

Jimski:
Crackin pics Robert !!
R Jimski

Like to keep a foot in the Astran camp! :wink:

Cheers old mate! Robert

They are real good pics them Snowy was allways there on the H4 when
you run out of,■■?
Do you have a bottemless shoe box Robert (Great pics good old mems)
GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Great pic’s Robert, I think that the pic of the mocamp is the best that I have seen . keep 'em coming - :slight_smile:

Guesty44:

robert1952:

Jimski:
Crackin pics Robert !!
R Jimski

Like to keep a foot in the Astran camp! :wink:

Cheers old mate! Robert

They are real good pics them Snowy was allways there on the H4 when
you run out of,■■?
Do you have a bottemless shoe box Robert (Great pics good old mems)
GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Not so many in my shoe box, alas, but plenty in cyberspace for the patient and diligent browser! The Snowy pic came from an excellent German trucking site and the Londra cutting was on an obscure French one. I’ll keep 'em coming nonetheless! Cheers, Robert

PS

I would add that it’s absolutely no use talking sense to me about Londra-Camp TIR-parking Istanbul, because my eyes mist over and I become excited about the atmosphere that pervaded that institution when we were concerned about the routes south and east… Crazy, I know. Look, here are some more pictures of that unique trucking caravanserai in the history of Middle-East overland trucking. Robert

img028.jpg

Still waiting to see a picture of the sign between the hotel and the restaurant which read…‘Welcome to our camping’
Pete

gallery/image.php?album_id=107&image_id=477

kenny ward:
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/gallery/image.php?album_id=107&image_id=477

Quoting for a trip to Iraq this week, I was put in mind of a long ago trip to the Middle East with Dave, Royston and John.

kenny ward:
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/gallery/image.php?album_id=107&image_id=477

Hi Ken,
Who’s the guy with the blue had and a ■■■ ? You with the Grangewood Scania, and Peter Wall ?

Sorry I posted twice. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wow…it was ten years ago today that this thread was first started. A lot of water under the bridge since then and a lot of Middle East names have parked up for the last time in the years that this thread has been running. I hope there are still a few more stories to be told on here.
keep up the good work.
All the very best

Mick B

Gentlemen, I am sad to advise that Ron Davies, late of MJ Swallow, Cadwalladers, Simon International, Ridgeway International and others died 20 September 2015 after a long illness at his home near Kanchanaburi, Thailand. He was just 68.

RIP driver.

So very sad, I have been chatting to Ron over the years and was aware of his illness. RIP old mate.

Found this fragment of Londra Camp history on-line. Robert

99359507.jpg

Very good pic Robert, as good as I have seen - keep delving :slight_smile:

Early morning pulling in at the Londra.

A few hours later, heading East to the Bosporus…

Don’t know if this has been covered before but I’ve seen a couple of photos on TopRun of a Merc 608 or similar, from Austria, heading out to the Middle East with ‘express parts’.
I was wondering how common it was to see lightweight vehicles heading out on this route and if so, what type of cargo would they be carrying?
Thanks.

Posted by ‘Skipvitesse’ on the Simon International thread. Spot the two brown & cream liveried Astran artics on the desert road! Robert

Si56_zpssut0wqv4.jpg

This thread has gone a bit quiet! I’ve just noticed that Gordon Pearce’s death on 7th Nov last year has gone unrecorded here, and I think it deserves a mention on this thread: Gordon was, after all, one of Astran’s ‘Long Haul Pioneers’! There is a thread dedicated to his memory, and here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=131834

The memorial collage below was produced by Toprun.

Robert

gordon-pierce.jpg

Magazine_Legend2_4.jpg