Are Royal Mail lorries automatic? Does anyone know

Juddian:
The above is why i will have nothing to do with hill hold, and even the few times driven a lorry fitted with a pointless electric parking brake, still apply it and release it mesen.

If you get out of the habit of controlling the vehicle itself, including it’s braking whether parking or holding it at junctions, sooner or later you’ll ■■■■■■■■ up and have a runaway especially when you exit the vehicle, and that is the moment that everyone, from your boss to the old bill to the DVSA to the vehicle maker to the H&S executive or indeed the coroner, will tell you that YOU are in control and responsible for what happens to that vehicle no matter how much pointless crap THEY fitted.

Telling them that some half baked automated function failed (try proving it :bulb: ) or toy beeper didn’t warn you the parking brake wasn’t applied will not wash.

Juddian The only people you omitted are the politicians in brussels who come up with these rules …Lane departure warning ,what is the point ? If your tired it will wake you up ,fair enough ,but will the driver pull over at the next safe place and rest ? apart from the odd driver i would say no ,it is used as an alarm clock to keep them awake …AEBS ,again great idea ,but surely if you are alert ,read the road anticipate other road users stupidity ,then it isn’t needed ,yes there will be that 1 in a million time when it hepls and fair enough people will say that justifies it …Have all these aids actually reduced accidents■■? Nowdays you can’t criticise people ,do you have a handbrake not applied alarm in your car ,or are you clever enough to apply it before you get out ■■ Is common sense a thing of the past ■■? Did we get to american and it is always someone elses fault ? ie buy a coffee and there is a warning on the cup explaining it is hot and may scald you …So if you spill your homemade coffee and scald yourself at home because you cup didnt have a warning ,do you sue your wife ,the kettle manufacturer ,the cup manufacturer etc etc …it is ridiculuse…People need to again take responsibility for their actions

alamcculloch:
I sometimes drive automatics and its a right pain switching between the two. I look for the clutch in the auto and stall the manual . I am retiring soon, that and the DCPC its getting to be too much.

I do it all the time when roadtesting ,the majority of trucks are autos nowday ,so much that is the standard fit and the manual is an option,but when i roadtest a manual i drive up to lights in top gear and onle remember im in a manual when it starts juddering lol

Difference between an auto and a manual. Automatic at end of shift go dig the vegetable patch, manual at end of shift lie in bath then crawl into bed.

ukjamesuk:
Difference between an auto and a manual. Automatic at end of shift go dig the vegetable patch, manual at end of shift lie in bath then crawl into bed.

The real difference between auto & manual… Manual…at end of shift will walk over and ask how the vegetables got on in their autos! :wink:

Actrosman:

ukjamesuk:

The real difference between auto & manual… Manual…at end of shift will walk over and ask how the vegetables got on in their autos! :wink:

PMSL

norb:

Juddian:
The above is why i will have nothing to do with hill hold, and even the few times driven a lorry fitted with a pointless electric parking brake, still apply it and release it mesen.

If you get out of the habit of controlling the vehicle itself, including it’s braking whether parking or holding it at junctions, sooner or later you’ll ■■■■■■■■ up and have a runaway especially when you exit the vehicle, and that is the moment that everyone, from your boss to the old bill to the DVSA to the vehicle maker to the H&S executive or indeed the coroner, will tell you that YOU are in control and responsible for what happens to that vehicle no matter how much pointless crap THEY fitted.

Telling them that some half baked automated function failed (try proving it :bulb: ) or toy beeper didn’t warn you the parking brake wasn’t applied will not wash.

Juddian The only people you omitted are the politicians in brussels who come up with these rules …Lane departure warning ,what is the point ? If your tired it will wake you up ,fair enough ,but will the driver pull over at the next safe place and rest ? apart from the odd driver i would say no ,it is used as an alarm clock to keep them awake …AEBS ,again great idea ,but surely if you are alert ,read the road anticipate other road users stupidity ,then it isn’t needed ,yes there will be that 1 in a million time when it hepls and fair enough people will say that justifies it …Have all these aids actually reduced accidents■■? Nowdays you can’t criticise people ,do you have a handbrake not applied alarm in your car ,or are you clever enough to apply it before you get out ■■ Is common sense a thing of the past ■■? Did we get to american and it is always someone elses fault ? ie buy a coffee and there is a warning on the cup explaining it is hot and may scald you …So if you spill your homemade coffee and scald yourself at home because you cup didnt have a warning ,do you sue your wife ,the kettle manufacturer ,the cup manufacturer etc etc …it is ridiculuse…People need to again take responsibility for their actions

Norb, i’ll pull that one sentence of yours out that sums it all up if i may…
‘‘Have all these aids actually reduced accidents■■?’’

The answer being no, somehow even when travelling all in the same direction on a motorway with a minimal difference in speeds they can still ram each other up the arse and/or turn the whole bloody lot over.
The problem with each new brilliant bit of accident prevention wizardy, and no i’m not knocking the strides that have been made, is that with each new dumbing down method it allows, nay encourages, the next worse level of wheel attendant to get behind the wheel.
And yes we do need to get back to people taking responsibility for their actions.

Juddian i agree with you 100%…They are an aid to safety ,too many think they are a get out clause and rely on them instead of their own senses

I remember when they first introduced anti lock brakes, I read an article at the time that suggested vehicles with abs had more accidents because the drivers felt they could push the limits of the vehicle more, because of the abs, so the idea was to make the car safer, but all they did was move the goalposts, it seems people will accept a certain amount of danger, so long as it’s only a small enough risk

I saw a similar analogy with out door sports many years ago. The equipment got better so people would press on in bad weather with their mountain adventures and only get cold wet and hungry when they were in deep zb. If wearing Government Surplus you turned back much earlier.

All Royal mail lorries are automatic yes, only the 7.5t are manual unless they have some old timers in there fleet. I drive for Royal Mail, agency Driver jack of all vehicles and master of all them… :laughing:

Thanks Singh, but unfortunately, I never got as far as the assessment drive

Singh5:
All Royal mail lorries are automatic yes, only the 7.5t are manual unless they have some old timers in there fleet. I drive for Royal Mail, agency Driver jack of all vehicles and master of all them… :laughing:

Not all 17T vehicles are automatic
We have a few 63 plates manual 17T!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk