Anyone experiance with ERF trucks?

weewulliewinkie:
ahh…an eaton twin splitter, you should feel privileged that’s a real truck drivers truck, google it and you will see how the gear change works. every noobie should be FORCED to spend a day driving with that gearbox :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:unamused: WHY? We have moved forward! What is it with gearboxes and ■■■■■■■ Bshite :unamused: :unamused:

We are in the 21st century and the good old days were garbage!!!

What’s often overlooked when fondly reminiscing about old gearboxes is they were designed as a marriage to the engines of that era with their power outputs and torque curves. With modern engines they would simply be an unnecessary and overengineered solution.

I think what a lot of people really mean is they would like to drive a twin splitter in a modern 480.

Out of all the trucks I’ve owned, and there are certainly design elements of some models I do miss, I would still choose the trucks I have now.

Welly Bobby:

robert1952:
Don’t forget this ERF will have a ‘clutch brake’ which slows down the cogs for clean up-shifts. This is operated by a switch at the bottom the clutch pedal travel. So when starting off, depress the clutch to the floor to engage your starting off gear. After that do not fully depress the clutch for any gear changes, especially if changing down. However, if you want a fast up-shift when climbing hills, you can depress the pedal briefly to the floor for the change. :wink: Robert

With me working on Twin splitters in Seddon Atkinson Strato from my old memory they never have clutch brakes on them like the Eaton Road ranger had with a Lipe roll away clutch?
Cheers Welly

I drove a Seddon Atki Strato with a Twin-splitter and that one certainly had a clutch brake. It was the worst Twin-splitter installation I ever came across!

BTW, I never drove a lorry with a Twin-splitter that didn’t have a clutch brake. The Twin-splitter is a constant-mesh (not synchromesh) 'box so it needs one. Cheers! Robert

weewulliewinkie:
ahh…an eaton twin splitter, you should feel privileged that’s a real truck drivers truck, google it and you will see how the gear change works. every noobie should be FORCED to spend a day driving with that gearbox :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Haha, hear hear! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Own Account Driver:
What’s often overlooked when fondly reminiscing about old gearboxes is they were designed as a marriage to the engines of that era with their power outputs and torque curves. With modern engines they would simply be an unnecessary and overengineered solution.

I think what a lot of people really mean is they would like to drive a twin splitter in a modern 480.

Out of all the trucks I’ve owned, and there are certainly design elements of some models I do miss, I would still choose the trucks I have now.

You used to be able to have a Twin-splitter with a 520 Iveco.

There were, and still are, a wide range of constant-mesh manual gearboxes (including several Twin-splitters) designed to match a wide range of power and torque outputs of their era - and the current era. In the US and OZ modern engines are matched to manual 18-speed Fuller 'boxes, which are simply posh Twin-splitters with a conventional shift pattern. Robert