Anyone been furloughed yet?

blue estate:

mbax81:
Had a letter in the post Friday asking for volunteers first. Initially for 3 weeks, but maybe up to 6.

On fridges, levels have dropped, mainly on the food service side of it has just more or less gone altogether now.

They wanted the volunteers to gone on furlough as off tomorrow (Monday 6th). Not heard anything so I’ll ring for my start time later and see if I’ve a run!

Sit down with pen and pad , work out your finances and if ok take the offer

Got a shift tomorrow. I fully expect there to be quite a few who’ll be jumping at the chance to go on furlough for a few weeks anyway!

Had a quick estimate as finances, and if it does happen, and i can get the mortgage break then I don’t think we’d be much worse off, if any? Just trying to keep as much normality as possible too. Missus is working from home, and both kids are off school. If we were all confined to the house all day it would probably end in WW3!

blue estate:

mbax81:
Had a letter in the post Friday asking for volunteers first. Initially for 3 weeks, but maybe up to 6.

On fridges, levels have dropped, mainly on the food service side of it has just more or less gone altogether now.

They wanted the volunteers to gone on furlough as off tomorrow (Monday 6th). Not heard anything so I’ll ring for my start time later and see if I’ve a run!

Sit down with pen and pad , work out your finances and if ok take the offer

Got a shift tomorrow. I fully expect there to be quite a few who’ll be jumping at the chance to go on furlough for a few weeks anyway!

Had a quick estimate as finances, and if it does happen, and i can get the mortgage break then I don’t think we’d be much worse off, if any? Just trying to keep as much normality as possible too. Missus is working from home, and both kids are off school. If we were all confined to the house all day it would probably end in WW3!

Still pretty busy…for now! :wink:

But, our yard is pretty rammed with boxes in storage for customers which have closed down due to the virus.

Those of you who have been furloughed.
The scheme is for a minimum of three weeks, but how many of you think you will be off for a much longer period? Personally I think on average that it will be a minimum of 4-6 weeks, maybe longer than that for agency drivers

peirre:
Those of you who have been furloughed.
The scheme is for a minimum of three weeks, but how many of you think you will be off for a much longer period? Personally I think on average that it will be a minimum of 4-6 weeks, maybe longer than that for agency drivers

it will be longer than 3 weeks for me…nearer 3 months i would think :frowning:

If none of this furlough money actually materializes, the firm will assume that we’re able to tighten our belts, and absorb the entire financial cost of the lockdown ourselves - giving us a new age of ultra-austerity where one either loses their entire livlihood OR gets kept on at vastly inferior T&Cs than before.

The ultimate “Race to the Bottom” may well have already begun now. :frowning:

…If Brexit is deemed to cause “less cheap labour in the marketplace” - then hey presto - we now have this set of broken promises to drive the UK back to work on WWII wages and terms!

Housewives bringing in the harvest, Out of work Gents - being employed in all manner of “dirty” industries, such as Recycling, Scrap, Toxic Waste Management, etc.
In due course, those already working in those industries - would see their T&Cs pushed lower still, once their current contracts come to an end.

I wonder how Labour would have played it differently, bearing in mind Labour became unlectable in the FIRST place because they promised to trash the economy, and we decided that a Tory Trashing would be better than a Labour one… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Winseer:
I’ve been let go on my ZHC at Aylesford… It seems that sideways-moving John Lewis drivers coupled with a sharp drop in shop turnover (now the panic buying is apparently over…) means that ZHC driver “services are no longer required”. I’ve asked to be placed by the agency at another supermarket, but their work is going quiet too, and I’m being told that I might only be getting 1 or 2 shifts per week for the duration…

Oh Crap! :frowning: :open_mouth:

That’s worse than being sacked in a way, as I literally now do not know when my next shift is… I’ll get paid for last week’s work this week, and I’ll probably get my holiday pot paid for next week - and THEN what?
Meanwhile, I’m still employed at the same agency, unless I resign, and if I resign, I presumably won’t qualify for stuff like Universal Credit for 13 weeks, or something daft…

Made some phone calls around other yards, and they are already standing down their drivers, so there’s no agency nor full time work there for the duration as well…

There’s two options then: Get placed at another client yard or resign, and try and make one week’s wages last the next 13 week gap between getting any UC…

I’m hoping my flexibility and low cost lifestyle - will help me out, as I can manage on part time hours, - just not NO hours!
I’m also being told that there is a dearth of 18:00-22:00 start times, presumably because they don’t want people getting paid the higher rate as of now…?
Lots of shifts for 02:00-04:00 starts though, if anyone else is suited to those @ supermarkets…
Got an assessment @ Dartford meanwhile, - but it is a fortnight away. :frowning:

Anyone else considering going on UC because they just won’t be getting anywhere near enough hours in the near future, let alone “decent hourly rate” hours…?

Yes, I’ve applied for UC, agency hasn’t come up with any shifts for over two weeks. They (ADR) are not responding to calls, either by just not picking up, or ignoring voice mails. Pretty much what I’ve grown to expect from them tbh.
My experience with UC has been surprisingly good; made my claim last Monday and received a call from my local job centre on the Wednesday confirming the claim. Lady I spoke to asked if I needed an immediate payment, which I don’t, thankfully. She said that I’d receive my first payment first week in May, back-dated to when I made the claim.
Considering the enormity of this situation, I think they’re doing well, the job centre lady said they were on a skeleton staff. Hence why they’re pushing claims through ASAP, they simply don’t have time to do much checking etc.

I am in the process of registering with another agency, but have been told by them that the particular client they’re dealing with won’t have a need of drivers until end of April/early May. So I’ll be glad of the UC payments until things get back to some sort of ‘normality’.

I’ve just had the phone call. I’m going to be furloughed as of the 20th until the end of May, although this could still be extended further if things haven’t returned to some degree of normality by then (and I suspect they won’t have)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’m going through the usual licence renewal palaver with DVLA at the moment and every communication I receive from them states that due to Covid-19, they will not be able to process my application for twelve weeks. Since DVLA is a Government department, this presumably is how long the Government is expecting emergency measures to last.

It seems that a certain firm have side-stepped any “Social” concept of “Financial Obligations”…

I’m beginning to think that if there’s one thing worse than being laid off as agency - it’s being kept on as full timer!

70 hours of unpaid overtime is a time-and-a-half loss, not hour-for-hour.
Being paid whilst at home - means the firm presumably qualifies for the government furloughment bailout money…
“Having to pay it back” - means the firm make a profit there as well.
You don’t accrue holiday on “overtime” neither, normally - so that’s another pocket picked of staff there…

No doubt some shifty lawyer within the firm has had a close look at the government furloughment proposals, and found their legal “open barn door” to drive a coach and horses though in due course…

Winseer:
I’m beginning to think that if there’s one thing worse than being laid off as agency - it’s being kept on as full timer!

70 hours of unpaid overtime is a time-and-a-half loss, not hour-for-hour.

Nope…been trying to get my head around this,but can’t.

I’m a full timer,currently kept on.
How am I,in any way,in a worse situation…than you?

And what’s all this nonsense about unpaid overtime?