Any older Cummins mechanics here?

Toddy2:

Punchy Dan:

railstaff:
Hello all,after about 5 years as a viewer ive plucked up the courage and joined.Concerning the jakes they dont sound any different to regular jakes.The “extra” piston is the sensing piston to determine the firing stroke and thus hold the exhaust valve open.
Very easy to set up as im sure you,ll know.Barring tool on auxhillary drive.Note marks on auxhillary drive pulley.

A=cylinder 1 or 6

B=cylinder 2 or 5

C=cylinder 3 or 4

Say for instance your working on B the inlet valve will be open on either 2 or 5 but not at the same time respectively,set the valves and injector on cylinder with valves closed.
14 thou inlet,27 thou exhaust,70 lbs in injector preload.(obc) Set the jake fork at the same time.I think, but dont quote me 12 thou or set the clearance running.Probably best way.

Hope this helps.

That’s the best first post in a long time . :wink:

+1

+2

FodenS80:

railstaff:
Is it an NH 743?

Yes but I will be fitting them to an engine with PT fuel system, if I can find all of the engine attaching parts including crossheads etc…

Yeah thats right it is pressure time.All NH,s were infact nearly everything was apart from J series.The way ive described the wiring layout could be wrong,there was two different ways of doing it,the latter way does away with the relay but you then need “the engine damage could happen” sticker.LOL

Give me the engine number i,ll check if the cross heads are still available,you never know.

It is a very long time since I installed Jake brakes and then only a few 401 series on the 855 ■■■■■■■■ but ISTR that you didn’t renew the crossheads, only the crosshead and exhaust valve adjusting screws. You also needed to replace the rocker housing capscrews with special studs & washers.