Any old promotor drivers around

sandway:
You are so right mushroomman. Yes it was Raijka. Even though I was asking the question of where it was, I should have attempted to put my “little grey cells” in some sort of order, definitely before applying myself to the task of identifying places and events that happened thirty five years ago.

However, I am applying, on compassionate grounds, to be shown leniency due to being attacked by a rabid dog whilst working on an exhibition in Benghazi, Libya back in Nov/Dec 1983. The attached photo shows the actual moment the dog attacked me and horror and fear on my face can still be seen today if I go without my red (white also helps) medicine on a daily basis. Quinine diluted with the help of Doctor Gordon also helps me allay those horrors but normally only at sunset.

After taking liberal amounts of medicine I find that my posts have even more mistakes in them so best I just go to bed then. Those of you who are keen eyed will perhaps have noted that most of my anecdotes are posted early morning. Now you know why!!!

I hope you don’t mind Sandway, but I knew I recognised you from somewhere. In all seriousness though - this is an excellent thread, I reckon this could a book you know!
brian-at-window_2023033i.jpg

Hi Efes, two places called The Barrels spring to mind, one in Czech and one in Austria.
I.I.R.C. if you crossed into Czech from West Germany and went through the border at Waidhaus/ Rosvadov after about twenty minutes you came to a group of log cabins on the right hand side of the road next to a lake somewhere on the road to Pilzen, (or was it Klatovy Vary). :confused: In the summer you could stop for a beer and a Bratwurst. The shop and the cabins were in what looked like very large wooden barrels and there was a large layby next to the entrance to the place.
The other one was in Austria somewhere along the road from Sopron when you came out of Hungary heading towards Vienna. There were miles of grapevines on the slopes of the hills on the right hand side until you came to a place that had what looked like wine cellars built into the hillside. There were several large wooden wine barrels outside with tables in the summer where you could buy the wine in bottles or just have large glass while sitting at the table.
I hope this helps.

kmills:

sandway:
You are so right mushroomman. Yes it was Raijka. Even though I was asking the question of where it was, I should have attempted to put my “little grey cells” in some sort of order, definitely before applying myself to the task of identifying places and events that happened thirty five years ago.

However, I am applying, on compassionate grounds, to be shown leniency due to being attacked by a rabid dog whilst working on an exhibition in Benghazi, Libya back in Nov/Dec 1983. The attached photo shows the actual moment the dog attacked me and horror and fear on my face can still be seen today if I go without my red (white also helps) medicine on a daily basis. Quinine diluted with the help of Doctor Gordon also helps me allay those horrors but normally only at sunset.

After taking liberal amounts of medicine I find that my posts have even more mistakes in them so best I just go to bed then. Those of you who are keen eyed will perhaps have noted that most of my anecdotes are posted early morning. Now you know why!!!

I hope you don’t mind Sandway, but I knew I recognised you from somewhere. In all seriousness though - this is an excellent thread, I reckon this could a book you know!

Good morning mushroomman. Thanks for your comments. As for Graham Chapman impersonating me in Monty Python’s “Life of Brian” I noticed they didn’t even include me in the credits at the end of the film and as for the cheque, well, I gave up on that way back.

However, I have attached another photo from the Libya job where I’m doing my impersonation of Jake the peg with a wooden leg. Ye, ok, not very well!

mushroomman:
Hi Efes, two places called The Barrels spring to mind, one in Czech and one in Austria.
I.I.R.C. if you crossed into Czech from West Germany and went through the border at Waidhaus/ Rosvadov after about twenty minutes you came to a group of log cabins on the right hand side of the road next to a lake somewhere on the road to Pilzen, (or was it Klatovy Vary). :confused: In the summer you could stop for a beer and a Bratwurst. The shop and the cabins were in what looked like very large wooden barrels and there was a large layby next to the entrance to the place.
The other one was in Austria somewhere along the road from Sopron when you came out of Hungary heading towards Vienna. There were miles of grapevines on the slopes of the hills on the right hand side until you came to a place that had what looked like wine cellars built into the hillside. There were several large wooden wine barrels outside with tables in the summer where you could buy the wine in bottles or just have large glass while sitting at the table.
I hope this helps.

It was the log cabin place on the right hand side on the way out in Czechoslovkia as then was. I often used Waidhaus so that would have been it. A nice place to park at night for excellent cheap beer.

These days I can no longer re-run the locations of place in my mind the way I used to be able to do. These days the memories are all disconnected, That’s what impresses me with Sandway’s excellent posts, he really can remember where he was going and why. Does he use a diary I wonder? I do have my diaries which show dates of trips and where I overnighted but looking at them doesn’t bring back memories of those trips. A shame really.

What a fantastic job for anyone. I just loved the adventure in the eastern bloc and Middle East. Every trip there was something would happen that was truly memorable…

Like being strangled by a very large Yugo policeman who was accusing me of driving too close to the lorry in front. I wasn’t. Refusing to pay the fine I sat at the side of the motorway for an hour or so until I decided I’d have to pay or stay. It was then, in my rage I shouted at him very aggressively "take your ■■■■■■ money you… " (and called him a “c***”). The policeman was obviously an able linguist and said in Serbo-Croat something to the effect of “are you calling me a ‘peechka’” (I too understood his last word). He leapt up the step of the cab and started to throttle me with one very large hand and I really couldn’t breathe and started fighting for my life (seriously). He then released his second hand from the steering wheel to apply it to my neck as well and at this point I gave him a whacking hard kick in his stomach and he fell backwards onto the ground with a terrible smack and was so winded he couldn’t breathe or move. I thought I’d kiilled him. Meanwhile I drove off as fast as I could in fear of my life…

I was stopped up the road - probably 4 or 5k after the incident by another police car. I pulled over and kept the doors locked. In my paranoia I thought the other policeman had radioed ahead. The policeman asked for my tacho which I passed through a window by opening it just an inch or so. He thought it very strange I could see. Anyhow, he seemed satisfied and I went on my way still very nervous.

I learned that it’s never good to lose one’s temper with these people. Especially very large armed people in authority.

Efes:

mushroomman:
I hope this helps.

It was the log cabin place on the right hand side on the way out in Czechoslovkia as then was. I often used Waidhaus so that would have been it. A nice place to park at night for excellent cheap beer.

These days I can no longer re-run the locations of place in my mind the way I used to be able to do. These days the memories are all disconnected, That’s what impresses me with Sandway’s excellent posts, he really can remember where he was going and why. Does he use a diary I wonder? I do have my diaries which show dates of trips and where I overnighted but looking at them doesn’t bring back memories of those trips. A shame really.

What a fantastic job for anyone. I just loved the adventure in the eastern bloc and Middle East. Every trip there was something would happen that was truly memorable…

Like being strangled by a very large Yugo policeman who was accusing me of driving too close to the lorry in front. I wasn’t. Refusing to pay the fine I sat at the side of the motorway for an hour or so until I decided I’d have to pay or stay. It was then, in my rage I shouted at him very aggressively "take your [zb] money you… " (and called him a “c***”). The policeman was obviously an able linguist and said in Serbo-Croat something to the effect of “are you calling me a ‘peechka’” (I too understood his last word). He leapt up the step of the cab and started to throttle me with one very large hand and I really couldn’t breathe and started fighting for my life (seriously). He then released his second hand from the steering wheel to apply it to my neck as well and at this point I gave him a whacking hard kick in his stomach and he fell backwards onto the ground with a terrible smack and was so winded he couldn’t breathe or move. I thought I’d kiilled him. Meanwhile I drove off as fast as I could in fear of my life…

I was stopped up the road - probably 4 or 5k after the incident by another police car. I pulled over and kept the doors locked. In my paranoia I thought the other policeman had radioed ahead. The policeman asked for my tacho which I passed through a window by opening it just an inch or so. He thought it very strange I could see. Anyhow, he seemed satisfied and I went on my way still very nervous.

I learned that it’s never good to lose one’s temper with these people. Especially very large armed people in authority.

Don’t have any diaries Efes. Just a little information written beside some of the photos in my album. I like the anecdote you have described above. Never had one try to strangle me but plenty tried and often succeeded in milking me of mainly Dinars but also cigarettes and even D Marks.

Tripoli/Benghazi Exhibition and Seminar. Libya 1983. We had completed the stands and they had been dressed. The exhibitors had a pre show meeting and we were at a loose end so as we wandered around the hall a few photos of us ar-sing about were taken. All innocent like but Graham “Blue” Bertram always seemed to appear if there were any ladies about!!!

Once the exhibition and seminar was up and running there was little for us to do. Maybe unpack some more literature and deliver to a stand or tidy up a bit. Suzie and Angela as the travel reps were always kept busy mothering the exhibitors. I’m not sure if the swimming pool was open. It could have been as the weather was good. I remember walking along the beach road and taking in some of the sites but most of the time we just hung around. As some of our team were in another hotel a couple of kilometres away they did their own thing.

I have a few anecdotes from our time in Tripoli.
One morning what seemed like hundreds of buses arrived on the car-park in front of the hotel. Thousands of school children disembarked then formed into groups and marched up into the town. Later on they returned, boarded the buses and were gone. We heard that evening that there had been a spontaneous demonstration of love by school children for Colonel Gadaffi. I remember wondering then how long it took to organise this “spontaneous event” and by whom.

We had our breakfast in the coffee shop in the hotel. It was fine as long as you didn’t want a full English breakfast fry-up. One morning, as I was queuing up at the self-service buffet I found myself standing next to a guy in a uniform. I said “Good Morning” to him and he replied in an American accent. Now this hotel we were in, I’m sure, was owned by the Lybian authorities and was used mainly for people they wanted to keep an eye on. There were a lot of us there once the exhibition started but normally was fairly quiet so I was told. However, I got talking to this American, who turned out to be the pilot of one of the only planes, a Boeing 737, the state airline still had flying. It only did internals as they weren’t allowed to fly abroad. The Americans had imposed an embargo on Libya and so the rest of the fleet were grounded through lack of spare parts. We continued our conversation back at the table where I asked him where we could obtain a drink in the evening. “Absolutely no way” he replied, “I’m an alcoholic and I’m here to dry out”. He sounded very genuine and convincing!!!
In a couple of days time we were due to fly to Bengazi and so out of interest I kept an eye on the planes flying in and out of Tripoli airport. If one sounded odd as it took off or wobbled in the air as it landed I knew he had found some booze the night before.

However, we did manage to have a drink while we were there. One evening some of us were invited to the home of one of the British embassy staff, where we were able to partake of a drink of two. If I remember correctly though, as there were so many of us, exhibitors, organisers and ourselves, it was spread over two evenings and only one or two from each company were invited. Unfortunately our stand-fitters didn’t attend and I am fairly sure our drivers didn’t either. It could be though, that they had heard that Graham Bertram might start crooning after a couple of drinks, as was his way and were worried it might draw the attention of the Lybian secret service.

Just unearthed a few more pictures from the shoe box.

The exhibition finished mid afternoon. It had been a great success for all concerned. The Trade Associations, the Exhibiting Companies and Promotor. The event wasn’t open to the general public. It was aimed at the medical fraternity in Libya. The doctors, surgeons , nurses, etc. Anyone involved in healthcare. A lot of those who visited had been trained in the UK. Quite a few had wives who they had met whilst doing their training there.

Once the last of the visitors departed our job started again in ernest. We had what was left of the day plus the next day to repack the exhibits, dismantle the stands and reload everything back into the three lorries. The first thing to be done was to return the empty cases. Most of the exhibitors were happy to pack their own exhibits so that helped. As the cases were packed we removed them and Stan Mountain and his two colleagues then moved in to dismantle the stands and carefully wrap them ready for reloading. It all went smoothly and by the end of the next day the job was complete. Richard, Alan and Graham, our three drivers knew what was required of them next. They went back to their hotel, cleaned up, had a meal and an early night ready to leave very early the next day. They had a thousand kilometres to do before we would see them next in Benghazi.

The rest of us were in for a quiet day whilst the drivers drove the long coastal road eastwards to our next destination. After breakfast transport had been laid on to take us to the airport. Their were seven of us from Promotor and three from the Trade Associations as well as some exhibitors. We were now on our way to the airport where we were to fly Libyan Air (think that was their name) to Benghazi. Most of us were hoping the pilot wouldn’t be the alcoholic American I’d met at breakfast a couple of days before. Although, also knowing the airline was having great difficulty in getting even one plane in the air through lack of spares didn’t install a lot of confidence in us either. At the airport we learnt there would be no seat allocation. Women and children were allowed on first, then the men. Of course this was a recipe for disaster so we hatched a plan. Suzie, Angela and the exhibition manageress who’s name escapes me were to board first, they would grab as many seats as possible for us men. We would then set off across the tarmac to the waiting plane and heaven help anyone who got in our way. As we entered the plane there were the girls standing at the end of three rows of seats daring any other passenger to try and sit in them. Nobody did and we took our seats.

The flight time was less than ninety minutes. The flying distance being 650 kilometres. As we flew I remember looking down at the ribbon of tarmac below thinking our three lorries are down there somewhere. Mind you, knowing drivers they were most probably laying on the beach soaking up the rays and getting a few zzzz’s under their belts.

We were flying from Tripoli to Benghazi whilst our three drivers were doing the one thousand kilometre trip overland. We had asked them to do the journey in one and a half days. No problem they unanimously agreed. When they all speak with one tongue like that you can guarantee, you will have a problem. However, on this occasion they rolled up at midday at the university, where the event was scheduled to be held just twenty four hours after we arrived and we were able to get stuck in immediately with unloading the stand fitting material.

I have mentioned we were working for both the ABHI and ABPI. These initials stand for the Association of British Healthcare Industries and Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. We did a fair bit of work for these trade associations following on from the Libya job. I worked for them in Istanbul, Jedda, Riyadh, Dubai and Baghdad providing a mix of services whilst Promotor Travel handled their travel arrangements at even more diverse destinations. To my shame though, I can’t after all this time, remember the names of any of the guys and gals we worked for. I remember the ABPI executive was Philip but can’t remember his surname but the guy and his female exhibition manageress from the ABHI have long disappeared into the ether. I do remember though she was absolutely petrified of flying. We all felt sorry for her as she sat there shaking, unable to speak and trying to read a book as we taxied out to the end of the runway. This was after she had downed an unknown number of Valium tablets. Once we were in the air things improved a bit until we got to the point where we started to descend. Then it was back to the book, the shakes and the Valium.

The hotel where we all stayed and the exhibition venue were nowhere near as ostentatious as in Tripoli but by now we knew the ropes and everything came together nicely. Stan and his men had the stands built in one and a half days and we had the exhibits in place with time to spare before the opening ceremony was due. Again once the exhibition was on there was little for us to do except to try and keep out of mischief. Graham Bertram though kept us entertained by describing what his future Philipino wife would be like. He had, of course, met her uncle in a bar in Bordeaux on the way down and was already planning the first of his trips to Manila. Problem was entertainment soon turned to boredom so he was told to go and talk to the camels. I liked Graham though and I was pleased to meet his wife and two children a few years later. It was a tragedy when he had a heart attack and died aged just 62.

The exhibition and seminar was brought to a close after three days. We packed everything into the three lorries and they headed back to the ferry in Tripoli whilst we flew back to the UK a day later to a well earned rest. Both the trade associations were over the moon but for Promotor it was another defining moment in its short history. We were off in another direction for at least the next eight years which is when I became heavily involved in the organisational side of things. I think general haulage wasn’t exciting enough for Peter whereas exhibitions and exhibition organising were. We were never a large company, maybe having around fifteen lorries maximum in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I’m sure Nottsnortherner can further enlighten me on this point. However, with our road shows and exhibition work we were never short of business.

I have attached the last of my photos of our Libya experience. Although I worked in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco, Libya will always remain, for me, as our most important and exciting North African destination as it was the beginning of a new era for Promotor.

:open_mouth: The whole set then! Unusual, Sandway, to have worked in all five of the North African Med countries. North Africa has a distinct flavour of its own, I always think. Sudan has much of it too. At different times I managed to visit them all: driving lorries to Morocco and Tunisia, teaching in Egypt and visiting both Libya and Algeria as a tourist. Happy memories! :smiley: Robert

robert1952:
:shock: The whole set then! Unusual, Sandway, to have worked in all five of the North African Med countries. North Africa has a distinct flavour of its own, I always think. Sudan has much of it too. At different times I managed to visit them all: driving lorries to Morocco and Tunisia, teaching in Egypt and visiting both Libya and Algeria as a tourist. Happy memories! :smiley: Robert

Yes, worked in all five of them and have a tale or two to tell but must admit didn’t take my lorry to any of them. Others drivers on Promotor did to some of them though. Have a few more photos somewhere. Will try and find them.

I,along with Barry Ward and Johnny Evans, went once to Algiers to deliver some kit to a Trade Fair there. We sailed from Genoa overnight and our first views of Algiers were at sun-up early the next morning. We noticed from a distance all the white painted buildings as we came closer to the port of Algiers and it looked very impressive…Oh dear! what a disappointment! when we finally docked and cleared customs we had about 10 k,s to drive to reach the fairground through a filthy dirty city and its suburbs which had obviously once been a very proud and architectually beautiful French city. Now completely ruined by the locals. That was the first thing I remember about that trip, the second thing was that in typical Promotor fashion the office had organised back-loads in Italy but had not researched the ferry movements properly because our return ferry arrived,not in Genoa, but in Marseilles! Of course we had French transit permits so we then had to convince the French customs that although we had arrived in Marseilles we should have arrived in Genoa and back-loads from Italy had been arranged. I think a few rubles changed hands after some “crazy English” mutterings and eventually they let us go. I should add that this altercation took place at Ventimiglia as we were trying to leave France and enter Italy. Not as eventful as Sandways post I know but another example of the weird and wonderful “Promotor” way! Later on during my Motorvation days I took a conference load to Marrakesh and I distinctly remember being similarly unimpressed by that part of the world too! Each to his own, some people like it, some don,t. Apologies again for the lack of photographic evidence! I,ve had another good look around and still cant find any, makes me think they,ve been mislaid after a house move. :frowning:

Nottsnortherner:
Not as eventful as Sandways post I know but another example of the weird and wonderful “Promotor” way! Later on during my Motorvation days I took a conference load to Marrakesh and I distinctly remember being similarly unimpressed by that part of the world too! Each to his own, some people like it, some don,t. Apologies again for the lack of photographic evidence! I,ve had another good look around and still cant find any, makes me think they,ve been mislaid after a house move. :frowning:

Once again there are some really interesting anecdotes here from Sandway and Nottsnortherner so thanks for that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ere ya go Nottsnortherner some photos of Marrakesh from 1975.
If the world had piles then you would find them in Marrakesh.

Even the Snake Charmer wasn’t charming.

I wouldn,t be surprised if it still looked the same today! In many ways I was luckier than most, the venue for the conference I was there for was to take place in a recently built exhibition centre and our accomodation was a 5 star hotel next door. The scheduling for this event had been pre-arranged to allow plenty of time for potential hick-ups in transit e.g. customs etc as this was a first for Motorvation. As it turned out everything went smoothly and I arrived two days before expected which gave us an opportunity to have a look around. The first thing we were told by the hotel was don,t go to the bazaar on your own! We had an official guide and general “gofa” who was hired to look after us throughout our stay and he was really keen to show of the splendid exhibition centre which we were going to work in so on one day he gained access to show us round. The place had been built around 3 years before and one of the first major shows that took place soon after it was built was a FIAT car launch. The guide took us to the room where the Fiat launch took place 3 years earlier and that was where we saw proof that it was actually a FIAT launch because all the stage set,which was pretty comprehensive, was still in place!! We enquired as to why and the guide said that the set company didn,t need it and because there was no advance bookings for the room they just left it there, the room hadn,t been used in the 3 years since!..The bloody hotel was nice though! It was one of those flight crew overnight places and after breakfast we delighted in the sight of bikini clad air hostesses by the pool while noticing that they were also being watched by very sweaty rich Moroccans playing with their worry beads…at least I think thats what it was!!!

Nottsnortherner:
I wouldn,t be surprised if it still looked the same today! In many ways I was luckier than most, the venue for the conference I was there for was to take place in a recently built exhibition centre and our accomodation was a 5 star hotel next door. The scheduling for this event had been pre-arranged to allow plenty of time for potential hick-ups in transit e.g. customs etc as this was a first for Motorvation. As it turned out everything went smoothly and I arrived two days before expected which gave us an opportunity to have a look around. The first thing we were told by the hotel was don,t go to the bazaar on your own! We had an official guide and general “gofa” who was hired to look after us throughout our stay and he was really keen to show of the splendid exhibition centre which we were going to work in so on one day he gained access to show us round. The place had been built around 3 years before and one of the first major shows that took place soon after it was built was a FIAT car launch. The guide took us to the room where the Fiat launch took place 3 years earlier and that was where we saw proof that it was actually a FIAT launch because all the stage set,which was pretty comprehensive, was still in place!! We enquired as to why and the guide said that the set company didn,t need it and because there was no advance bookings for the room they just left it there, the room hadn,t been used in the 3 years since!..The bloody hotel was nice though! It was one of those flight crew overnight places and after breakfast we delighted in the sight of bikini clad air hostesses by the pool while noticing that they were also being watched by very sweaty rich Moroccans playing with their worry beads…at least I think thats what it was!!!

I remember our Suzie at Promotor, who had been an air hostess with BOAC years before, telling us that a lot of her colleagues would be on the look out for “very rich arabs” for husbands. Perhaps thats why they were in their bikini’s.

Been offline for what seems like a lifetime. At last Openreach sorted out the problem. Just a knackered hub!!! Roll on our Superfast Broadband service but seems they’re having problems even with that round here. Arrrrrrrrrr!!!

robert1952:
:shock: The whole set then! Unusual, Sandway, to have worked in all five of the North African Med countries. North Africa has a distinct flavour of its own, I always think. Sudan has much of it too. At different times I managed to visit them all: driving lorries to Morocco and Tunisia, teaching in Egypt and visiting both Libya and Algeria as a tourist. Happy memories! :smiley: Robert

I’m glad Nottsnortherner has confirmed he and some of the other lads had delivered to the Algiers Exhibition in the 70’s. I was involved in that event in the mid 80’s and have some photos somewhere in the shoe box. Dave Stagg did most of the shows though as he spoke French.

I have a little anecdote concerning one of my trips to Egypt. We handled the freight for the Cairo International Trade Fair for a number of years sending the exhibits over by unaccompanied trailers from ports in Italy. I flew out there on a number of occasions to handle the onsite work. On 25th or 26th of February 1986 I flew from Heathrow to Amsterdam with KLM. I was then meant to fly with KLM to Cairo later in the day. However, The flight to Cairo was cancelled and all passengers had to report to the KLM desk in the airport. There we were told that the airport in Cairo was closed as there had been rioting and it was too dangerous to land. It seems conscripts of the Central Security Force had rioted as a rumour had spread that their three year term was to be extended to five or six years. As it so happened this was not true. They burnt some hotels out near the Pyramids and did some other damage and there were a number of deaths. As we couldn’t fly in that day KLM bussed us to the Holiday Inn (I think) where we were put up for the night. I met a couple of guys who were working in Egypt and that evening we got a taxi downtown to have a walk around the red light district. Only looking of course.

Next day we got the all clear and continued on our way and landed in Cairo late afternoon. Wasn’t the end of the problems though as there was a twenty three hours a day curfew for a day or to so couldn’t do anything but sit in the hotel. Things gradually got back to normal but it certainly screwed up the schedule.

Bob Lutz. Mr Bob Lutz. Mr Bob Lutz the Messiah, the chosen one. The most powerful man in the auto world. The man who had worked his way up through the ranks of BMW, General Motors and other insignificant little companies until mighty Ford had knocked on his door. Join us, they no doubt said and we will shower you with unimaginable opportunities and riches. And so it came to pass in the late 70’s and early 80’s that Mr Bob Lutz, the Messiah, came to Europe as Head of Ford Great Britain but to that, the distinguished title of “Head of European Operations” was added. Mr Bob Lutz was ensconced on the top floor of Fords offices at Warley near Brentwood and from there he surveyed and ran his empire.

In 1985 after his successful spell in charge of Ford of Britain and Europe Mr Bob Lutz the Messiah got the call from on high to return to the home of the worlds auto business, the good ol’ US of A, where no doubt more promotion, fabulous riches, penthouse suites and millions of dollars awaited him. “Well, just got to pack my bags and I’ll be home with you gents shortly” he would have replied. But of course packing your bags didn’t just mean filling suitcases with all those greenbacks you had accumulated over the years. As an auto man it meant shipping home your car, or in Mr Bob Lutz case, his four cars. Cars that were destined to join his already large and prestigious collection. Cars that must not be scratched, damaged or even breathed upon.

Now, not even I can believe that he said to one of his suits, his underlings, his yes men, “get me that super efficient, world famous, careful and well equipped company Promotor to transport my cars to the export packers somewhere west of London”. No. He no doubt ordered transport to arrange the job and left it to them. And so it was left to some disgruntled manager in transport, someone who had not been invited to the Promotor Christmas bash, someone who had a chip on his shoulder to call in Promotor to do the job in the hope we screwed up big time.

On this fateful day Trevor Thayre and I were sitting around drinking coffee in the office when word came down from above to hook up to two of our supercube trailers, kit them out with ramps and ties and get ourselves over to Warley asap. “Whats so urgent” we replied. Four cars to be delivered to the west of London was the reply followed by “Bob Lutz own personal collection being shipped back over the pond”. It took a few seconds for this to sink in and then I felt the legs turning to jelly, I sat down immediately. We were going to collect Bob Lutz personal collection of cars in a couple of our old canvas sided tilts, where, if you drove over an empty ■■■ packet the boards all jumped out. “You cannot be serious” I shouted. Visions of boards through windscreens and dented bonnets came to mind. We have to have box trailers properly kitted out with proper ramps, properly fitted, not bits of 2 x 2 angle iron welded to the rear of the trailer and as for the ramps themselves, well I could walk up them but as for Trevor who was a bit overweight, I didn’t fancy his chances, not one little bit. Stop worrying was the reply from above. All our box trailers are on other jobs so just be careful and try not to drive over any ■■■ packets.

I then got to thinking, why me? Where were our experts. Those drivers who loved working with cars. People like Tony Grainger our road foreman. Someone who would have given his high teeth to do this job. There were others on the company, so why me. I had pulled some wrecks back from Germany, delivered some cars to Madrid and done a few Ford Clinics but that was enough for me. I wasn’t a car man. “Will you two get going” Dave Stagg shouted as only Dave Stagg could. Trevor and I looked at one another then left the office knowing this could be our swan-song. If this job went “■■■■ up” nobody would want to employ us ever again.
To be continued.

Trevor and I approached Fords head office at Warley with trepidation. We both knew our future as well as Promotors would be decided in the next few hours. We were on our way to collect four cars and transport them to the export packers somewhere to the west of London. These four cars were the personal property of the worlds most highly paid and revered executive in the auto business, Bob Lutz.

We arrived at Warley and made ourselves known to reception. A few minutes later we were told to position ourselves in the private road, which wasn’t used, immediately adjacent to the main building and that someone would come and find us there. After positioning Trevors trailer and preparing the ramps we clambered all over the inside of the tilt removing any of the boards that seemed loose. A few others we tied down but it was the roof boards that concerned us most. We couldn’t do much with them and I think both of us was having the same vision of a board falling onto one of the cars and writing it off. Finally we had to say to the Ford guy overseeing the loading that all was ready and that the ramps were secure and we were ready to receive the first car. The cars were stored in some garages at the end of the office block and off he went to report that we were ready. I stood back and looked up at the hundreds of windows facing us. There would be thousands of eyes watching, all belonging to the suits, the yes men, the creeps. It reminded me of a Spanish Bullring with Trevor and I as the bulls awaiting our fate. The thing is the bulls had a chance to fight back albeit briefly, we didn’t.

We heard the first car coming. There were by now a few suits standing around watching. The car appeared round the corner!!! Oh, my God!!! It was being driven by the Messiah himself. Mr Bob Lutz. The great man. The suits almost got down on there knees as he passed. Trevor and I looked at one another and gulped. Please God don’t let the ramps collapse. Please don’t let a tilt board fall out. The guy in charge of loading told us “Mr Lutz will load all four cars himself”. How did he know I’d only brought wrecked cars back from Germany or that Trevor couldnt be trusted with a bike let alone a car. As we guided Mr Lutz onto the ramps we must have looked very odd. Standing there awkwardly with crossed fingers, legs, arms, praying nothing would go wrong. However, somebody was looking down on us and the first two cars were loaded without mishap.

It was my turn next.
To be continued.