Antidote to Greta Thunberg

Beau Nydel:
She may not be the Messiah but she travels all over the world preaching that others shouldn’t travel all over the world. Sorry but she and the people who fill her head with this nonsense ask and deserve to be knocked down-several times.

What a completely blinkered view to take. Do you know anything on the subject ? I have my doubts. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

the maoster:

jakethesnake:
Quite correct but have you bothered to research how much it has heated up recently compared to the past?

Have you? (Tip) take a look at the PETM of approximately 55 million years ago, not too many cheap flights and 4x4’s knocking around then.

I suggest you check the period the scientists are talking about. There were next to no planes flying then and certainly no jets.
I also take it from your statement that you agree the planet is warming?

Of course I agree that the planet is warming. It will continue to warm, peak, and then begin to cool just as it has for millennia. This is called cyclical. Do you honestly think that if we shut down every ICE in the world, every power station in the world, completely ceased burning fossil fuels, used wind and sail to cross the oceans, ceased intensive farming that the temperature would not rise anymore? If you do then quite frankly you’re deluded. What’s happening to our climate is the result of a gravity affected ball with a liquid centre revolving around a constantly changing fiery star. You, I or Greta Thunberg cannot alter that.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

the maoster:

jakethesnake:
Quite correct but have you bothered to research how much it has heated up recently compared to the past?

Have you? (Tip) take a look at the PETM of approximately 55 million years ago, not too many cheap flights and 4x4’s knocking around then.

I suggest you check the period the scientists are talking about. There were next to no planes flying then and certainly no jets.
I also take it from your statement that you agree the planet is warming?

Of course I agree that the planet is warming. It will continue to warm, peak, and then begin to cool just as it has for millennia. This is called cyclical. Do you honestly think that if we shut down every ICE in the world, every power station in the world, completely ceased burning fossil fuels, used wind and sail to cross the oceans, ceased intensive farming that the temperature would not rise anymore? If you do then quite frankly you’re deluded. What’s happening to our climate is the result of a gravity affected ball with a liquid centre revolving around a constantly changing fiery star. You, I or Greta Thunberg cannot alter that.

That’s your view and you are entitled to it. Many other have the same view and they are entitled to it as well. I have followed this subject quite seriously for many years and quite frankly I tend to believe the scientists who have strong evidence about our planet and what has happened to it in the last 100 years and why.
I may be wrong but I believe just the sight of GT and what she says makes peoples minds up.

Each to their own as they say. I think a few may change their minds over the next couple of decades though.

I may be wrong but I believe just the sight of GT and what she says makes peoples minds up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as usual my opinion goes with the other party ( this time the moaster),
however,relating to the quote from your post above…

just the sight of GT makes me want to throw up…my mind would firmly be made up in that respect.

discoman:

jakethesnake:
Really ? You really need to do some studying but if that makes you happy I am pleased for you. :laughing:

If it makes you feel better, I drive around in a nice 3.2L diesel vehicle, I am looking at buying a new diesel van which will pollute more.

Next you will say climate change is the reason the gum trees here in Australia caused the fire, and be a denier if facts that trees here need fire to regrow and its natural …

Just like the floods in the UK, the welsh was the worst in 200 years, what excuses for the carbon foot print can you make for 200 years ago huh,

Climate change is fake.

^ This.

Get your new diesel van on the road soon, it WILL help with inner city pollution as it will pull in dirty air clean it up with the recycling system the ad-blu and the cat converter. Keep it for fifteen years and it will be carbon neutral. G.T. wont like it but that is a small price to pay.

Franglais:
Picking out one event shows little.
Look at the cycle of CO2 if you like though. Nice graphics on the NASA climate site. Over many millions of years there us a cycling of CO2 levels. But since the 1950’s there is a massive near vertical spike. Absolutely unprecedented. Difficult to see any explanation for such a large and sharp change outside of human influence.
A massive meteor strike or series of volcanoes would have been noticed I expect.
[/quote

Ok my mate.
You go and show me your hard, verifiable evidence of Co2 data collected for the year 123456 BC.]
Did they use Drager when they took these measurements?

AndieHyde:

Franglais:
Look at the cycle of CO2 if you like though. Nice graphics on the NASA climate site. Over many millions of years there us a cycling of CO2 levels. But since the 1950’s there is a massive near vertical spike. Absolutely unprecedented. Difficult to see any explanation for such a large and sharp change outside of human influence.
A massive meteor strike or series of volcanoes would have been noticed I expect.
[/quote

Ok my mate.
You go and show me your hard, verifiable evidence of Co2 data collected for the year 123456 BC.]

Yes.
From ancient air bubbles frozen in ice samples, drilled far down.
Read the NASA site, loads of background info on all of this.

Edit. Less than 1million years ago though, so not up to your request. They give what that can without making it up.

That’s your view and you are entitled to it. Many other have the same view and they are entitled to it as well. I have followed this subject quite seriously for many years and quite frankly I tend to believe the scientists who have strong evidence about our planet and what has happened to it in the last 100 years and why.

Each to their own as they say. I think a few may change their minds over the next couple of decades though.
[/quote]
Who are these expert scientists?
How do you place such confidence in their opinion that causes such firmly held beliefs?

Like you said, their data only goes back a few hundred years so how do they compare current data from that of 10000 years ago.

Again Jakey, your citing someone else’s “opinion” as facts,

If you like outrageous stories, there is a meeting house in most towns.
They meet every Sunday.

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Franglais:
[/quote

Ok my mate.

Yes.

Edit. Less than 1million years ago though, so not up to your request. They give what that can without making it up.

They had a date stamp on them from when this sample was taken and hermetically sealed to preserve this evidence?

AndieHyde:

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Franglais:
[/quote

Ok my mate.

Yes.

They had a date stamp on them from when this sample was taken and hermetically sealed to preserve this evidence?

I imagine that if you, yourself, were to go to the polar ice cap now, this is a repeatable experiment.
Like all info in the real world, or doesn’t come with a certificate of infallibility. Those are guaranteed fake!

No, I think you mis understand me.

NASA is undoubtedly a well funded organization that can employ the finest minds of the day, the best equipment and technology.
However, what I am saying is, dispite however repeatable the the collection method, the subject material is fundamentally flawed
It has been buried underground for who’s knows how long and “could” have been influenced by a multitude of external conditions in the thousands of years of being there. You could measure core samples until the cows come home, you do not know, exactly, when it came from.
Sure there are “experfs” that know they have the answers. But they dont know because you cannot know and are therefore . GUESSING .
I give you it’s a pretty well funded guess, but someone else’s opinion non the less and not the sort of science I would want start dismantling the modern world based upon it.

Who’s to say Paleontologists have it wrong, dinosaurs were not the grays and greens we have all become accustomed to imagining them.

They were pink or yellow, the Scotish ones were tartan.
After all. No one has ever seen one alive and in the flesh.

AndieHyde:

NASA is undoubtedly a well funded organization that can employ the finest minds of the day, the best equipment and technology.
However, what I am saying is, dispite however repeatable the the collection method, the subject material is fundamentally flawed
It has been buried underground for who’s knows how long and “could” have been influenced by a multitude of external conditions in the thousands of years of being there. You could measure core samples until the cows come home, you do not know, exactly, when it came from.
Sure there are “experfs” that know they have the answers. But they dont know because you cannot know and are therefore . GUESSING .
I give you it’s a pretty well funded guess, but someone else’s opinion non the less and not the sort of science I would want start dismantling the modern world based upon it.

Who’s to say Paleontologists have it wrong, dinosaurs were not the grays and greens we have all become accustomed to imagining them.

All we can do is make decisions based on what information we have.
If that information is not 100%, guaranteed, perfect should it be ignored?
Nothing in the real world comes like that.
We are making judgment calls, sure, but on the best available information. Throwing out the good in search of an unobtainable perfection doesn’t seem good to me.

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

All we can do is make decisions based on what information we have.
If that information is not 100%, guaranteed, perfect should it be ignored?
Nothing in the real world comes like that.
We are making judgment calls, sure, but on the best available information. Throwing out the good in search of an unobtainable perfection doesn’t seem good to me.

Agreed.
But you know what doesn’t sound good to me. A vulnerable young girl leading the world over a cliff because of “good intentions”

And make no mistake, most people are idiots that believe every thing they are told.

When I was seventeen ,fifty years ago I questioned how long will the fossil fuels last. Whilst at school us pupils were told that mankind has used more resources in the last hundred years than ever in history. However the big old world keeps on turning. Some scientists put climate change down to the fact that the earth wobbles a bit on its axis. Think worn wheel bearings. this causes some parts that are normally cool to warm up and vice versa.

I remember, back in the seventies, eminent scientists and “experts” warning of a likely mini-ice age “within the next thirty years”. Other scientists and experts more recently said that it would take three hundred years of constant warming to raise mean sea temperatures by one degree. If the latter were the case, then that would just about coincide with the beginning of the Industrial Age, and could have some validity. Other experts say that the causes have been even more recent, over the last few decades. Surely the introduction of Clean Air Acts, the virtual disappearance of the traditional heavy industries with their smoky chimneys, and steam power on railways and in shipping would go a long way to offsetting the massive rise in motor vehicle and aircraft use? Bearing in mind also that those modern vehicles run a lot more cleanly (so we are told) than their predecessors. And now the experts want us to stop eating red meat to help combat global warming. So what do we do with all the cows? We can’t have them ■■■■■■■ methane into the atmosphere until they’re big enough to provide us with leather for our shoes and coats, and the vegans won’t touch the milk, and we’re being asked not to eat them, and Miss Thunberg and Mr Attenborough would be very upset if they became extinct because they had become a useless nuisance - perhaps an “expert” will step forward to save the day.

fodenway:
And now the experts want us to stop eating red meat to help combat global warming.

They are Communists.Which is why they don’t say a word about China’s use of coal fired energy generation and no prizes for guessing which country can’t feed its population.The idea is obviously we have to consume less so China can take more.