Agency Worker New Legislation

turbot:

CWCSolutions:
Depends on the different solutions we provide.

PAYE Umbrella is £12.50 per payment

Seems like an expensive “umbrella” to me. Is it very waterproof? :stuck_out_tongue:
Why would someone pay to be on PAYE?

The question is WHY SHOULD SOMEONE BE CHARGED TO BE ON PAYE…jesus christ ,it just proves there isnt a limit ,for these (insert applicable word) to cream off the working man

zeddman:
The question is WHY SHOULD SOMEONE BE CHARGED TO BE ON PAYE…jesus christ ,it just proves there isnt a limit ,for these (insert applicable word) to cream off the working man

The working man? Surely you mean the self employed entrepraneur who is running his own business? A working man generally has a job working for an employer?

CWCSolutions:
Depends on the different solutions we provide.

PAYE Umbrella is £12.50 per payment with an optional £1.50 personal accident insurance
SOLO gross payment (If you have your own accountant) is £12.50 per payment with a mandatory £3.00 public liability insurance and optional £1.50 personal accident insurance
SOLO Plus (when we act as your accountant) £12.50 per payment as above, with an additional £99 plus VAT to complete tax return on your behalf at the end of the tax year.
Limited Company (when we act as your accountant) £24.50 per payment this includes completion of year accounts, tax return, corporation tax return, annual companies house return.

It’s precisely self-employed umbrella masquerading as PAYE that HMRC is cracking down on.

It’s a fiddle - and it’s days are surely numbered now.

Hourly rates below £18ph as self-employed makes up for no sick pay, no holidays, and what looks like having to have an additional deduction for “optional insurance”

When used on highly paid BBC-type staff, Umbrella is a cushy deal for operator and employee alike, with the taxman losing out.
Umbrella for any hourly rates less than roughly double minimum wage just doesn’t cut it - but umbrella gets “mis-sold” to those staff unable to see why PAYE rates of pay with self-employed exposure to downsides is the worst of all possible worlds. :frowning:

To cap it - why should I pay as a prospective worker ANY fees whatsoever to get work at very average rates that has no advantages over full timers whatsoever?
Agency work should typically pay a premium over full-timers hourly rates simply because the work might not be there next week. There’s risk premium involved.
I’d happy pay umbrella fees for £18ph or better - so where’s THAT at when these rates are touted “to entice money chasers like me to sign up in the first place”?

I offer to work nights, weekends, bank holidays - because that’s what I think should fast track me to the £18ph stuff. When I get offered crap instead, I realise that I’ve been lied to, and lose interest so rapidly, I don’t even turn up for the induction…

If the number of adverts about town are anything to go by, I’d suggest there is a real shortage of willing drivers among agency ranks right now… Too many close to retirement? Too many not doing DCPC? - Or just too many have got wise to all the middlemen out there trying to get a cut of what should be OUR wages paid direct by the firm that wants the truck driven for them. :wink:

Employment Status Indicator Result
Based on the information you have provided, the worker is self-employed.

Thank ■■■■ for that… I don’t have to use a ■■■■ umbrella company. Anyways, is it only me that sees this thread as the OP touting for business using “Scare Tactics”?

trubster:

Thank [zb] for that… I don’t have to use a [zb] umbrella company. Anyways, is it only me that sees this thread as the OP touting for business using “Scare Tactics”?

Up to now i see the OP providing some useful info, as you have used. The post has not gone unnoticed by me and the rest of the team though.

Mike-C:

trubster:

Thank [zb] for that… I don’t have to use a [zb] umbrella company. Anyways, is it only me that sees this thread as the OP touting for business using “Scare Tactics”?

Up to now i see the OP providing some useful info, as you have used. The post has not gone unnoticed by me and the rest of the team though.

I have learned something new from this post, I was unaware of the new legislation, BUT then to go on and post rates and offer to “Help” for £12.50 a week is where the thread starts to bring out my suspicious side :confused:

Straight from the horses mouth here

hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/#1

typically ambiguous and open to interpretation though.

I wonder how many self emloyed/ltd one man bands have come under the HMRC spotlight and been found not to have the tax status they thought they had?

Mike-C:

zeddman:

The working man? Surely you mean the self employed entrepraneur who is running his own business? A working man generally has a job working for an employer?

Dont know many entrepreneurs on PAYE…Only ordinary people,so why should an agency parasite charge you if you arent self -employed, working through them ,on PAYE.But I forgot,agents dont seem to have a lot of work unless you go self-em ,or umbrella.

zeddman:

Mike-C:

zeddman:

Dont know many entrepreneurs on PAYE…Only ordinary people,so why should an agency parasite charge you if you arent self -employed, working through them ,on PAYE.But I forgot,agents dont seem to have a lot of work unless you go self-em ,or umbrella.

While it’s true that some people choose to go limited company or self employed it’s also true that a lot of workers, in fact probably most self employed workers who rely on agencies for work, go limited company or self employed either because they have to in order to get work off agencies, or because agencies fool them into believing that they will be better off.

In reality we all know that agencies are parasites who have taken advantage of the economic situation over the past few years to line their own pockets at the expense of working people, they’ve been aided and abetted in this debasement of working people by umbrella companies and the government.

trubster:

Mike-C:

trubster:

I have learned something new from this post, I was unaware of the new legislation, BUT then to go on and post rates and offer to “Help” for £12.50 a week is where the thread starts to bring out my suspicious side :confused:

I was not on this forum to scare anyone, I was here to ensure people are aware of the new legislation, especially those who are potentially using agencies who would change you to PAYE and you were not aware why. The only reason I wrote our rates was because it was requested by Dipper Dave I would not have mentioned it otherwise. I’m not here to sell to others, I’m here to ensure you all understand what’s going on. Some umbrella companies will get caught and close down over night, agencies too. The only reason workers have to go through umbrella companies is because they need to be paid through a limited company (which is an umbrella company) but paid on a PAYE rate. if you go through PAYE umbrella you would receive SSP & holiday pay. HMRC main problem is to eliminate any general labourers who are controlled, supervised and directed, and to receive NI & TAX on a weekly basis rather than at the end of the tax year.

HMRC defeats Reed in £158m temps’ tax case. Who will be next?

HMRC has made it very plain that they will no longer tolerate fake ‘self-employment’ or umbrella companies.

I’d suggest that anyone who is currently ‘self-employed’ as a driver or working through an umbrella takes a look at the HMRC website.

Hi all I am totally confused here’s my dilema. I am a 47 yr old driver returning to transport after a few years away I have been offered work through a local agency but they pay either by something called nova or I have to set up a ltd co they say they have plenty of work and can give me plenty of hours. After reading this post I am unsure of which route to take.
can anyone help pls

Neither!

Tell them you are a proper person and want a proper job.

If they still won’t play ball, report them to HMRC.

People only behave like this because they can get away with it…if HMRC put them out of business then a proper employer may step in to fill the gap.

HMRC is now very focussed on this type of activity, and rightly so.

cheekymonkey:
I work for different Agencies, also sell a few cars and do a bit plumbing so without doing the test am I right to consider myself self employed?

Yes. The old “you take orders from the person you’re working for” etc is a bit of a too black and white way of looking at it even for HMRC which is why they consider it on a case by case basis. If you were only working for one agency then you’d be stuck but working for two or three and choosing which one you work for and when leans you towards self employed.

I have just retired and spent the last 10 years on agency and had some really good work Tankers mainly,I always went PAYE it’s ok these schemes to avoid tax but it only wants someone to get caught and you get hammered for all the tax you have to pay back it could be mega bucks spanning years these things have a habit to bite you years on ,your better pay it weekly /monthly it’s over and done with

fenland nick:
Hi all I am totally confused here’s my dilema. I am a 47 yr old driver returning to transport after a few years away I have been offered work through a local agency but they pay either by something called nova or I have to set up a ltd co they say they have plenty of work and can give me plenty of hours. After reading this post I am unsure of which route to take.
can anyone help pls

Hi Fenland Nick, Nova is an umbrella company just like CWC Solutions, I would only suggest you set up a limited company if you think you will be working for at least a full year as Limited company accounts are completed on a yearly basis and accountants charge a lot for this service of completing limited company accounts. if you are going to get paid through Nova as PAYE umbrella, please ensure that they are paying the correct tax & NI over to HMRC and that the expenses you claim are not breaching NMW. if you wanted to go through them and then after your first payslip you want me to Audit it, to see whether there calculations are correct I am happy to do so. I personally would think about whether a limited company is right for you, a limited company is more responsibilities you have to complete yearly accounts, submit corporation tax computations and still complete yearly annual returns, however with PAYE the tax and NI is taken care of on a weekly basis. A benefit of being paid through an umbrella company is that you can claim tax and NI relief on your work related expenses. If you know how much you will be getting paid I could do you some net pay examples see how much money you would end up with? its entirely up to you, some agencies do allow you to be paid through an umbrella company of your choice so maybe look around and see what is available. Do you know how much Nova is charging?

fenland nick:
can anyone help pls

We all get fed that line…

If they really want yo t set up a Ltd Co for their convenience they you should suggest an initial 12-month contract period in which they will pay you for an average of 40 hrs a week for 48 weeks as a minimum.

If they can’t agree to this, then their promise is worthless.

There’s always plenty of work around - even if it’s only the £6.50ph stuff hauling rubbish out of the nearest NB recycling depot…

What there’s not plenty of is the work that actually fitted the criteria one might have signed up with… Eg. “Not more than 5 miles from my home” or “minimum £10ph” or “won’t involve me performing illegal acts” No, not browsing on Clapham common - but having to work over 15 hours for instance…

Question for CWC, if someone sets themselves up as a Ltd Co. , do they need to register themselves as an employer (even if they’re the only employee) and complete this new "live " PAYE reporting ?