Agency work

Seems everyone’s got on okay with agencies. I was expecting to hear some bad experiences. But so far seems it’s an okay way to get some experience an into the industry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I started with an agency last Thursday.

I got the call on the Tuesday that they needed me on Thursday and all I had to do was go and see the transport manager on Wednesday to show him my cards, which I did.

I am 5 days in now and have already driven a low sided 7.5t and a flatbed 7.5t and tomorrow I am picking up a 10t.

Like others on agency I was given the keys and told to get on with it, which was daunting at first but on the second day I felt I had more of an idea on what I was doing thanks to talking to other people and Google and YouTube lol.

Sure I have made mistakes and will continue to do so I am sure. I have been overloaded, not used ratchet straps correctly, wrecked some poor woman’s hanging flowers with my mirror, and even lots some bricks off the back of my lorry. But I am not as naive as I was 5 days ago, I’m not saying I have mastered it by any means as I’m not stupid. We all need to start somewhere. And I have.

Btw I had issues with indeed and my CV not showing correctly also. But I used a few different agency websites. And other agencies found me on other websites too

I’ve been on agency one way or the other ever since I got my licences
The bigger companies like UPS, DHL, Hermes etc will put you through a driving assessment and ask a couple of questions about drivers hours. - This is the time to ask questions about how things like their specific tail lifts work or how they like their vehicle check paperwork filled out etc.
Each of the big companies will usually have a “Safe systems of work” which is basically how they like you to strap loads etc.

I’ve done the odd day with smaller companies. They’ll first ask to see you licences (not always) and then give you the keys, card to refuel and a runsheet with addresses. These are the companies, you’ll want to check the load before leaving to make sure it is properly secured as one place I did thought paper was so heavy, it probably wouldn’t move and so they didn’t think it needed strapping :open_mouth:

Do it. Whenever I’m in a tough spot, or if I get fed up with the job, I go agency till I decide what to do

oldwelshdude:
Sure I have made mistakes and will continue to do so I am sure. I have been overloaded, not used ratchet straps correctly, wrecked some poor woman’s hanging flowers with my mirror, and even lots some bricks off the back of my lorry. But I am not as naive as I was 5 days ago, I’m not saying I have mastered it by any means as I’m not stupid. We all need to start somewhere. And I have.

Btw I had issues with indeed and my CV not showing correctly also. But I used a few different agency websites. And other agencies found me on other websites too

You learn from mistakes, never gonna perfect something straight away. Doubt anyone’s that good.
I think I’d be quite cautious an just double check things to make sure. I know how lazy warehouse staff and loaders can be, so I’d definitely double check things to avoid any mistakes.

You learn from mistakes, never gonna perfect something straight away. Doubt anyone’s that good.
I think I’d be quite cautious an just double check things to make sure. I know how lazy warehouse staff and loaders can be, so I’d definitely double check things to avoid any mistakes.

I am still making mistakes. But I will not be using Poa from now on [emoji23]

Agency work is very much the marmite of the trucking world. If I registered with them today, I would be working tomorrow. You get such a variety of work, it’s impossible to say what you will be doing. As said, smaller companies give you the keys and say get on with it. Bigger companies expect you to jump through hoops. I like variety, which is why I do agency from time to time.

Being chucked in the deep end is definitely the best way to learn. Agencies are a good resource for the new passed driver. It pays well too, you have to hunt round a bit and sort the wheat from the chaff, but the rewards are there.

If you’re going to go agency, now is the best time to do it. There really seems to be so much work around that you can take your pick! The run up to Xmas has always been busy, but this year, it seems to have gone nuts! I haven’t applied for a job in ages, but I am getting 4 or 5 offers of work a week. It seems fairly consistent.

If you’re nervous about it, tell them that you only want van/7.5t work to start. Agency work is how a lot of us got our start.

I started driving class 1 a year ago and did 6 months employed full time and then have been agency since.

Be very careful about clauses requiring you to pay for damage. I have walked away from offers because of this

No shortage of work as has been said but also keep an eye on your pay as I have had a couple of expenses not paid but let it go as work was good and well paid. However last week I was paid at a different rate to what I was told and short 15 hours and am still awaiting a response so make sure you keep a close eye on the money

kcrussell25:
I started driving class 1 a year ago and did 6 months employed full time and then have been agency since.

Be very careful about clauses requiring you to pay for damage. I have walked away from offers because of this

No shortage of work as has been said but also keep an eye on your pay as I have had a couple of expenses not paid but let it go as work was good and well paid. However last week I was paid at a different rate to what I was told and short 15 hours and am still awaiting a response so make sure you keep a close eye on the money

That’s a fair warning that is, if there’s a clause saying you have to pay damages, walk away. I’ve only done it twice, first time; driver hire, Leicester. Second time; Translink express, Leicester. People will say you’ve done damage to try it on, when it affects your wage pack WALK IMMEDIATELY

jbaz73:

kcrussell25:

Be very careful about clauses requiring you to pay for damage. I have walked away from offers because of this.

That’s a fair warning that is, if there’s a clause saying you have to pay damages, walk away. I’ve only done it twice, first time; driver hire, Leicester. Second time; Translink express, Leicester. People will say you’ve done damage to try it on, when it affects your wage pack WALK IMMEDIATELY

One, maybe Staffing Network but could be wrong had a clause of £500 if “costs could not be recovered” so when I asked what would happen if someone hit me in the services while I wasn’t there and didnt leave details the silence told me everything.

Having drivers pay for damage creates perverse incentives. There’s no need for the operator to ever defend themselves or contest anything. If a claim comes in they can just admit liability without wasting any time on it - the driver’s paying, after all.

Yes, you’re right. The staffing network do indeed have that clause. But I THOUGHT it was only “at fault” damage. That’s another one to steer clear of, unless you’re desperate for £££. I can see it becoming more common in the future! The best connection at Leicester even wanted me to sign up to an “insurance” policy they do, 12 quid a week out of your wages, and the policy covers accidents. Hold on! At what point do we have to provide our own insurance to work? Now we are even paying for damage BEFORE we have caused it!

There comes a point where we all have to stand together and say no! Cos if we don’t, where will it all end?

jbaz73:
Yes, you’re right. The staffing network do indeed have that clause. But I THOUGHT it was only “at fault” damage. That’s another one to steer clear of, unless you’re desperate for £££. I can see it becoming more common in the future! The best connection at Leicester even wanted me to sign up to an “insurance” policy they do, 12 quid a week out of your wages, and the policy covers accidents. Hold on! At what point do we have to provide our own insurance to work? Now we are even paying for damage BEFORE we have caused it!

There comes a point where we all have to stand together and say no! Cos if we don’t, where will it all end?

It might have been another one then. It was buried in the middle of the handbook just a single paragraph, obviously hoping people wouldn’t read it. I don’t agree with paying for damage that is my fault let alone what isn’t mine but can’t be recovered. To be clear I am not reckless but as someone who has only been driving a year there is a higher chance of it happening. That is why I walked away and advise anyone else to as well

Just out of interest, how do you guys go about picking which agency to go to?

Judge02:
Just out of interest, how do you guys go about picking which agency to go to?

First pass - call them all and sign up for any that show interest. Then work for whoever gives you work. Over time you will find out who is good or bad.

Then after a while you chat with other drivers. They tell you about jobs and agencies etc. You also hear about who is paying well and what jobs are worth doing. Even on here I share PM’s with other drivers recommending jobs/agencies.