aec

moomooland:

ramone:
I looked twice when i saw this ,i thought it was a Speirs of Melksham motor at first , i dont know where you keep finding these gems but keep em coming :wink:

Yes at first glance i have often had to look twice as Speirs livery was rather similar to Scotts.

0The late Ronnie Scott, who passed away in 1980, is seen here next to brand new AEC Mercury 4X2 tractor unit Reg No PBU 800F.
This was one of nine AEC Mercury tractor unit’s that Scott’s of Oldham acquired during 1967 and was, at the time, the newly designed AEC with a tilting Ergomatic cab.
The photograph was taken at the entrance of Pine Mill on Sherwood Street in Oldham which was Scott’s depot for many years.

Brand new? it’s suffered a whoopsie hasn’t it, or are my eyes deceiving me?

gingerfold:
J.T. Blackwell AEC Mustang “Chinese Six”. Approximately 350 Mustangs were built, AV470 engine with either a 5-speed direct top synchro gearbox, or the later ones had a 6-speed constant mesh O/D 'box. All Mustangs were built at the former Maudslay plant at Alcester. the photo is a nice period setting.

I didn’t know that AEC made a synchro box .Was this innovative in the 50s/60s for British heavies or were others offering them. I know that when the Swedes came over they were fitted with synchro boxes

cav551:
Brand new? it’s suffered a whoopsie hasn’t it, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Hi Roy, Well spotted young man…

Dave…

ramone:

gingerfold:
J.T. Blackwell AEC Mustang “Chinese Six”. Approximately 350 Mustangs were built, AV470 engine with either a 5-speed direct top synchro gearbox, or the later ones had a 6-speed constant mesh O/D 'box. All Mustangs were built at the former Maudslay plant at Alcester. the photo is a nice period setting.

I didn’t know that AEC made a synchro box .Was this innovative in the 50s/60s for British heavies or were others offering them. I know that when the Swedes came over they were fitted with synchro boxes

From its inception in 1954 the 5-speed synchro box was the standard fitment in the AEC Mercury, (and the Mustang was a Mercury derivative) and it was also used in the Reliance coach. It was an inertia lock design with sliding mesh on crawler and reverse gears. It was a very positive engagement with slick, fast changes if the gear linkage was set correctly, nothing like some other manufacturers’ “stirring porridge” gear selection with their early synchromesh gearboxes. With a skilled driver the Mercury tractor unit with synchro-'box and 2-speed axle took some catching.

The Mercury was an innovative design for its time; air suspension optional in 1956, and disc brake trials in 1957.

I recall that there were two Hauliers up our way that bought new Mustangs in the later 50’s. Nelsons of Arnside had one with a 22 ft flat with the appropriate short overhang to suit the configuration. The other Mustang was run by John E. Ion an O/D who lived in Milnthorpe and this one had a 24 ft flat. Before my time Nelsons bought John Ion’s Mustang off him when he bought his first new ERF 8 Wheeler. So I only came across these two motors in 1969/70 and I always thought the one with the longer flat looked unbalanced not to mention the danger of axle overload, which I supposed wasn’t a major problem back in the day ! I can well imagine John Ion squeezing that extra couple of foot as he was a fairly knowledgeable individual who would know how to load the Mustang properly ! but Oh no once Nelsons got it I’ve seen it with some horrendous overloads on the backend ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I recall that there were two Hauliers up our way that bought new Mustangs in the later 50’s. Nelsons of Arnside had one with a 22 ft flat with the appropriate short overhang to suit the configuration. The other Mustang was run by John E. Ion an O/D who lived in Milnthorpe and this one had a 24 ft flat. Before my time Nelsons bought John Ion’s Mustang off him when he bought his first new ERF 8 Wheeler. So I only came across these two motors in 1969/70 and I always thought the one with the longer flat looked unbalanced not to mention the danger of axle overload, which I supposed wasn’t a major problem back in the day ! I can well imagine John Ion squeezing that extra couple of foot as he was a fairly knowledgeable individual who would know how to load the Mustang properly ! but Oh no once Nelsons got it I’ve seen it with some horrendous overloads on the backend ! Cheers Bewick.

Well Dennis, IMO The twin steer 6 wheelers were allways getting pulled by the W&Ms crowd, To load them legal was a very difficult thing to do , My cousin ran a AEC Tipper & he did loads of tar, So he had lots of problems when tipping little bits off on council patching repair jobs So with the bulk of the load up front to keep the axle weights right when he tipped the last few ton out he had to be very very careful as the tar was getting cold & didnt come out of the tipper body as quick as one would have like it too, Of course these days the tipper driver aint allowed of his cab, He just pushes a button & the tailgate opens, The another one to engage the PTO, Oh dear its a wonder they dont fall asleep with these present days motors, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Im pleased that Im retired, Well sort of :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Im having a few drams the neet as I have had a hard day at the office Hic Hic, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Well Dennis, IMO The twin steer 6 wheelers were allways getting pulled by the W&Ms crowd, To load them legal was a very difficult thing to do , My cousin ran a AEC Tipper & he did loads of tar, So he had lots of problems when tipping little bits off on council patching repair jobs So with the bulk of the load up front to keep the axle weights right when he tipped the last few ton out he had to be very very careful as the tar was getting cold & didnt come out of the tipper body as quick as one would have like it too, Of course these days the tipper driver aint allowed of his cab, He just pushes a button & the tailgate opens, The another one to engage the PTO, Oh dear its a wonder they dont fall asleep with these present days motors, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Im pleased that Im retired, Well sort of :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Im having a few drams the neet as I have had a hard day at the office Hic Hic, Regards Larry.

Aye it’s tough a the top :wink: being a Captain of industry ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: “I don’t mind if we do have another, but mek it a decent one Hinney” Hic! Hic! All the best Larry to you and yours Cheers Dennis.

gingerfold:

ramone:

gingerfold:

From its inception in 1954 the 5-speed synchro box was the standard fitment in the AEC Mercury, (and the Mustang was a Mercury derivative) and it was also used in the Reliance coach. It was an inertia lock design with sliding mesh on crawler and reverse gears. It was a very positive engagement with slick, fast changes if the gear linkage was set correctly, nothing like some other manufacturers’ “stirring porridge” gear selection with their early synchromesh gearboxes. With a skilled driver the Mercury tractor unit with synchro-'box and 2-speed axle took some catching.

The Mercury was an innovative design for its time; air suspension optional in 1956, and disc brake trials in 1957.

Am I right in thinking that the Thornycroft-derived 5 & 6-speed AEC 'box came in both syncro and constant-mesh guises? I never drove them but I’d still love to have a go at the constant-mesh six! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

ramone:

gingerfold:

Am I right in thinking that the Thornycroft-derived 5 & 6-speed AEC 'box came in both syncro and constant-mesh guises? I never drove them but I’d still love to have a go at the constant-mesh six! Robert

AEC’s synchro-'box predated the take over of Thornycroft by 7 years. The Thornycroft designed gearbox ranges (for medium weights and heavyweights) were purely constant mesh and there were several variations on the basic designs, to do with mesh engagement, and selectors. The 6-speed synchromesh gearbox used in AH691 and AH760 Reliance coaches was a ZF 'box. Some coach operators did replace the ZF 'box with the Thornycroft 6-speed constant mesh. Another option for the Reliance was Mono-control pre-select semi-automatic. The Volvo coach used the ZF 'box and that was one reason why former Reliance operators chose Volvo after Reliance production was discontinued. The coach boys reckoned that the Volvo coach was as close to the Reliance as it was possible to get.

gingerfold:
AEC’s synchro-'box predated the take over of Thornycroft by 7 years. The Thornycroft designed gearbox ranges (for medium weights and heavyweights) were purely constant mesh and there were several variations on the basic designs, to do with mesh engagement, and selectors. The 6-speed synchromesh gearbox used in AH691 and AH760 Reliance coaches was a ZF 'box. Some coach operators did replace the ZF 'box with the Thornycroft 6-speed constant mesh. Another option for the Reliance was Mono-control pre-select semi-automatic. The Volvo coach used the ZF 'box and that was one reason why former Reliance operators chose Volvo after Reliance production was discontinued. The coach boys reckoned that the Volvo coach was as close to the Reliance as it was possible to get.

Most informative - thank you! Robert :smiley:

^^^^
Thank you Robert for your kind words. It was of course the Volvo B10M coach I was thinking of, couldn’t remember that this morning, then it came to me this afternoon when I was doing something completely different. :frowning: :frowning:

gingerfold:
^^^^
Thank you Robert for your kind words. It was of course the Volvo B10M coach I was thinking of, couldn’t remember that this morning, then it came to me this afternoon when I was doing something completely different. :frowning: :frowning:

I believe this East Kent batch had the 6-sp constant-mesh AEC box I secretly admire! Robert

gingerfold:
^^^^

Its a shame AEC didn’t use the TL12 in the Reliance as a rear engined option i’m sure it would have been more than a match for the competition

AEC Mercury.

Click on page twice to read.

AEC NCB.jpgNational Coal Board AEC Mammoth Major.

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:
^^^^

I believe this East Kent batch had the 6-sp constant-mesh AEC box I secretly admire! Robert

Strewth, that East Kent AEC has brought back some memories. In my younger days I did a bit of ‘part time’ driving for National Express, I once did a changeover (one of the service areas on the M1), the East Kent man had brought it up, I’d taken a Leyland Leopard down. Full load in both.
The Leyland was good, the AEC was superb (maybe a bit too quick when you got it in 6th :wink: :smiley: )

Lovely :smiley:

Wouldn’t have fancied this without a trailer, Bouncy little bugger with that short wheelbase :unamused: Chris

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

ramone:

gingerfold:

I got my first Mercury artic- 1964-reg- when it was about18 months old and found the constant mesh overdrive 6-speed box was superb. Many years later I was assigned a refurbished 1970 skip loader with the ergo cab and was pleased to find the same gearbox in that one. We also had an ergo-cabbed Leyland skipper and the difference between the two was amazing. Apart from the “modern” cab, the Super Comet was a bag of nails.

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:
^^^^

Correct, this batch originally had a 5 speed box, at the moment I can’t recall whether it was the AEC 5 speed synchro or a ZF.

Sadly WFN 513 has now been sold and I no longer have anything to do with it. It is a real flying machine with the 6 speed overdrive box, but that is why it was specified in the first place since the 5 speed was too slow for the newly opened M2 and Continental work.

Sunday I got the chance to drive one of the East Kent Regent Vs with a near full load, up over Beachy Head to Birling Gap and back down again into Eastbourne. The AEC 4 speed synchro box makes a glorious noise in the indirect gears… which was most of the time. :smiley:. Only really matched by the pre war Leyland sliding mesh 'box.