A new strategic transport plan for the North of England,

about 3 years ago i needed a new car and looked at second hand Prius’s big big price difference between those that were under 6 years old and those that were over like 4-5k difference. what happens at 6 years approx battery needs replacing.

Even what you posted says 70% retention. !

And?
If you drive over a rock and kill your petrol engine the same applies!

Where does £60k come from? It is nearer 6k than 60k.

Which have been surveying over 2,000 cars. They found approx 10% drop in battery capacity over 7 years.
COP26: Should you be worried about diminishing electric car battery life? - Which? News

Interesting that Toyota are looking more at solid state batteries now.
They have been behind hydrogen in various forms, and I doubt they will give up on that, but it does appear to be a significant change for them.

the battery cost might drop but dont forget the labor cost which definitely wont

Just to add a bit more controversy; at some point it will be all about Sodium-ion batteries, at which point the Li-ion battery packs will become rapidly obsolete.

Sodium is more abundant than lithium, so would end up being cheaper and more environmentaly friendly than Li-batts, the Na-batts would charge more rapidly and are generally considered safer, being less prone to “thermal runaway”. Also, they are likely to have more charge cycles than Li-batts.

The UN have created several new numbers (below), specifically for these battery-powered vehicles. These will be part of ADR 2025. It’ll mean changes for the car-transporter section of the industry, and it is presumed that car-transporter drivers will need their ADR certificate for class 9

From UN model regulations:
Vehicles only powered by lithium metal, lithium ion or sodium ion batteries shall be
assigned to the entries

UN 3556 VEHICLE, LITHIUM ION BATTERY POWERED or
UN 3557 VEHICLE, LITHIUM METAL BATTERY POWERED or
UN 3558 VEHICLE, SODIUM ION BATTERY POWERED,

any news on what the packing group will be?

yes so if it has dropped below that or will drop below that in the 8 years no warranty

if i managed to drive over a rock big enough to hit the engine i wouldn’t be worried about the engine i would be upset about the massive front end damage and getting my eyes checked. driving over a speed bump too fast wouldn’t damage a ice engine but easily could damage a battery.

https://www.google.com/search?q=60000+battery+replacement&sca_esv=631c077ebeab8f5b&source=hp&ei=pH8FZoyTPOfXhbIPz_qiyAM&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZgWNtWWyxhb9Gqvhl3cejsO4nuO_Iwde&ved=0ahUKEwiM9cy3lpeFAxXna0EAHU-9CDkQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=60000+battery+replacement&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6Ihk2MDAwMCBiYXR0ZXJ5IHJlcGxhY2VtZW50MgUQABiABDIFEAAYgAQyBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgsQABiABBiKBRiGAzILEAAYgAQYigUYhgMyCxAAGIAEGIoFGIYDMgsQABiABBiKBRiGA0iYZVAAWKlhcAB4AJABAJgBaaABpweqAQQxMS4xuAEDyAEA-AEBmAIMoAL4B8ICCxAAGIAEGIoFGJECwgIKEAAYgAQYigUYQ8ICCBAuGIAEGLEDwgIIEAAYgAQYsQPCAgsQABiABBiKBRixA8ICEBAAGIAEGIoFGEMYsQMYgwHCAg0QABiABBiKBRhDGLEDwgILEAAYgAQYsQMYgwHCAhEQABiABBiKBRiRAhixAxiDAcICChAAGIAEGEYYggLCAgcQABiABBgKmAMAkgcEMTAuMqAHmUY&sclient=gws-wiz&dlnr=1&sei=s38FZpbiDLKHhbIPl5K2oA8

Not sure at the minute, but I do know that they are still deciding what the requirements will be regarding packaging, because we’re unlikely to have Tesla’s etc boxed up at the point delivery :laughing:

Also we have the issue of EV fires, hence there’s a variety of outfits who have developed EVCU Electric Vehicle Containment Units
http://www.fire-containers.com/

No. The exact opposite. They guarantee it will have at least 70% retention.
Replacement if too low…no replacement if better than 70%

60k CA$ is about £35k.
But is still a lot.

Which surveyed more than 2,000 cars over more than 7 years all in one report.

You have offered 2,000 reports about one car! :grinning:

Are there a lot of these speed bumps damages?
Or just the one?
Nothing much on the UK MG Forum nor Honest John.

I traded in my Gen 1 MG ZS EV & after 4 years it had dropped to 97.9%, Granted the mileage was slightly below the national average but a drop of 2.1% isn’t bad at all.

MG claim about 270 miles range. Is that realistic? I guess that is on the optimistic side?

But even a 3% drop means a fall of under ten miles range. Not bad at all.

The Gen 1 had a range of 169 miles in in Summer in ‘Normal mode’ & around 150 in colder months. It had 260 miles in ‘Eco mode’ around town but not on motorway speeds.
This Gen2 facelift Trophy standard range I’ve got now has a range of 199 miles in ‘Normal mode’, I’ve no idea of the range in ‘Eco mode’ as I never use it. As for ‘Sports Mode’ it has a lot less range than normal mode.

Thanks.
Not a long distance motorway cruiser, but that isn’t what it is meant to be.

Yes exactly, People need to do some research into their car requirements before opting for an EV, I forgot to add that getting that 263 miles in Eco mode on the Gen 1 meant you need to drive it like Miss Daisy.
They fit my requirements perfectly & I love the silent one pedal driving, In over 5 years of driving plug in electric cars I’ve never used a public fast charger yet, I’ve always been able to use the car just using the 7kWh home charger.

Was that during COVID with massive price fluctuations and inflation on new vehicles?

The roller coaster fluctuations in prices was/is down to Tesla cutting it’s prices massively then a few months later raising them again, Everybody has to follow suit to stay in business.
They’re set too tumble again this year & there are some great-used deals out there.
The latest casualty is Fisker, They’re loping off tens of thousands off their models & their Fisker Ocean extreme is discounted by $24000. :scream:
Can you imagine the shock on the peoples faces who have paid full price on them only a few months ago & are stuck with a loan, Tesla has just announced it’s stopping taking Fisker trade in’s immediately.

Off topic really but, once upon a time the price of something was cost plus 10% or similar.
Oh well, maybe I should have put that in the a crypto currency thread.

1 Like

I recall when I began working in retail (in the 1980s) being shocked that the cost of a vinyl album was less than half the retail price in the shop. So, a tad more than 10%