60/70 HRS????

BondiTram:

Thecritic:
[this critic can’t wait till the WTD.

Its the equvalent to the so called truckers revolution as far as i am concerned!

Bring it on!!!

Dream on!!

Salut, David.

I am dreaming I am dreaming!
48 hours or less every week!! I shall see my son grow up. :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

Well lads before my little fall that near paralysed me I never had any intention of doing any other job than driving! About 3 months before the accident I got the call that every tramper dreads, I was told on the phone by gloria(see rogues gallery) that it was over, and that made me realise that tramping wasnt for me(although I wish I still could but rough with the smooth is the saying). I still do the odd run in the lorry but i dearly miss it. Ive now acquired a far better paid job(25k for 42 hrs) compared to 450 for being away from belfast for up to 2 weeks and it has saved my relationship with gloria which im more than thankful for!!

Moral to the story is if ya love the job so much that you would risk everything good in your life then go for it, I got my eyes opened while very young but in a few yrs I will do the continent(hopefully).

Regards

kev

To everyone that’s said ‘if you don’t like it then get out’ or words to that effect - No. Like many others I’ve grown up within this industry, my mum used to take me out with my dad in his lorry in a bloody carry-cot. It’s in my blood, why else would i and most other members want to sit here and trawl through all these work-related questions in their valuable time off? Tony’s original post asked if anyone actually enjoyed working the long hours. I for one don’t, as you can tell from my reply. And no i don’t want to go and work in an office. Been there, done that, got the CPC. And no i don’t want to get another driving job. My boss is a decent bloke, he runs a tip-top fleet, doesn’t want anybody running bent, i get on very well with all the other drivers and fitters, it’s less than five minutes from my house and it’s bulk haulage, which is what i know best. What i’m saying is, No i don’t want to ‘put up or shut up’, it’s not the job i don’t like, it’s the hours that i need to work to do it, and the relatively low amount of pay most of us get at the end of it.[/b]

i do 60/70 hrs per week in the removal game i dont drive and i get paid 230 per week which i think is bad but i want to become a hgv driver, i know the downfalls off truck driveing but i still want to do it. but i know its going to be had to get my licences but it will be very worth it in the long run,but there is worse jobs out there.but at least if i have a quirey i can post it on here where there is a lot off decent pople who can answer my quetions
benson :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck to you benson!
I sarted that way a good few years ago :open_mouth:

jimti:

hitch:
we all know that the hours are [zb]…but the thing that gets my goat is the holidays dont even compensate for the extra time general worker 37-45 hours 20 days how about driver 50-65 hours 30 days holiday

Now there’s an idea! my boss looks in on here sometimes so I will point him to this post and see what he has to say, can’t really see him going for it though :cry:

yeah soldier you are on 24hr guard duty for your cheek. :laughing: :laughing:

for a start i don’t like working 40 hours,but we all know the buisness were in.

if you work 9 hours a day how far will you get.i have done burton to crick(1hour drive each way )and sat at tescos for 5 hours before.its something we all know we have to do because its us that basically keeping this country moving.
small hauliers will go to the wall because they can’t operate at 40 hours.

the down side to working 48 hours a week is alot of us will be doing a lot of nights out.away from our familys

so if you don’t like it get out now

jon

I left the industry a few years ago to make signs for a living. At first it was good, but I soon got sick of being cooped up in the same workroom day in day out. I would sit at my computer most days dreaming of the good old days on the road. Then one day I just thought, bowlarks to this, and packed in my job and went back to the wagons.

And no, the money wasn’t any better in the sign industry and the managers are still bankers!

Thecritic:

TONY:
Thank god it is NOT only me Wayne…Can`t fault a word of that mate…Tone… :wink:

Its far from only you Tony!
this critic can’t wait till the WTD.

Its the equvalent to the so called truckers revolution as far as i am concerned!

Bring it on!!!

does this mean you’ll get back behind the wheel :question:

kitkat:

Thecritic:

TONY:
Thank god it is NOT only me Wayne…Can`t fault a word of that mate…Tone… :wink:

Its far from only you Tony!
this critic can’t wait till the WTD.

Bring it on!!!

does this mean you’ll get back behind the wheel :question:

As I have said I work in the Transport industry and I do drive now and then. I am contracted to work 37&1/2 hours :laughing: but as with every one in the transport industry I work much more :frowning:

The new WTD will effect me just as much as it will you!

Bring it on! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

critic, the wtd will only effect you if you want it to.your company will probably give you a form to sign if you want to work more than the 48. our company handed them out 2weeks ago.the option is yours,your not forced into signing it.

kitkat:
critic, the wtd will only effect you if you want it to.your company will probably give you a form to sign if you want to work more than the 48. our company handed them out 2weeks ago.the option is yours,your not forced into signing it.

I believe come next March, the opt out has gone, except for those that are truly self employed, say owner drivers, they have till Aug 2009 (I believe).

Mal.

You are right Mal it would be piontless implimenting the W.T.D. If indeed there was an opt out…That is if we are talking about mobile workers…

Nice to see you Mal… Tony… :wink:

I’ve posted the WTD from the DPT website on this thread. http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1631

There will be no opt out except for genuine self employed drivers, that is driver who make money purely from the profit and can be shown to work for more than one company. I know many owner drivers who work for one haulier this might bring them under the WTD.
Agency drivers might be able to get round it be becoming a limited company and using the agency as a broker, like the IT industry.

TONY:
You are right Mal it would be piontless implimenting the W.T.D. If indeed there was an opt out…That is if we are talking about mobile workers…

Nice to see you Mal… Tony… :wink:

Nice to see you as well Tone! :slight_smile: I take it you’ll be interested in joining me to campaign for an opt out for trampers! :laughing:

Mal.

Already know how strong your feelings are on this WTD topic Mal mine as you know differ slightly mate :wink:

Only time will tell what happens…March 2005 looms ever nearer… cheers Tone… :slight_smile:

P.S. Not afraid of hard work I can stand quite close to it… :exclamation: :exclamation: