26 year old HGV - to move to Sweden

Truckdriver12:
Just a few questions.

1. What are the eye sight requirements to pass the medical exam? Are there weight restrictions too?
  2. How do you get a job when you have no driving experience, after getting the HGV license? First step is probably the hardest?
  3. How many years driving experience do you need under your belt before firms in other countries will employ you?
  1. Nothing extraordinary. Driving eyesight rules - GOV.UK
    No weight restrictions.

2. Apply here Careers | Stobart | Delivering Sustainable Solutions :grimacing:

3. I don’t know this part but I did my hgv categories after I moved to the UK and I had no problem finding jobs. Try to do the license in Sweden if you speak the language and you want to work there.

1. If you’re worried about your eyesight at 21 then maybe you need a decent optician or should be considering a career where you won’t be to blame for killing a lot of people in one go as a result, surgeon maybe?

2. Driving other stuff for several years before getting anywhere near a HGV (legally).

3. Lived in Finland for 3 years, 20+ years driving experience behind me at the time, without fluency in the language they did not want to know in the slightest. Understandable maybe for those doing only internal work, but for international work when no other country in the World would have Finnish speakers■■? Sweden may be different, but my experience of Scandinavia was not a good one for seeking work as an immigrant.

get your qualifications here for everything as the cost is crucifying in sweden.
ive family in kungsbacka and halmstad .
leave the uk and go and have a better life.simple as that.
the difference is phenomenal and the uk is just a dying country.
stay away from malmo and stockholm type areas where the muslims have overran and the rest of the place is absolutely first class for lifestyle.
the country s huge and sparsly populated except for the cities with great roads and quality of life.
theres another dude colin in sweden on here in gislaved/halland area to also advise…
imports are generally frowned upon by a lot of the indigenous swedes but if your english and pink then your 1 step ahead of the ee flipflops who are 2 steps ahead of the taliban who in general terms are not greatly welcomed with open arms especially when it comes to job hunting.

Vid:

1. If you’re worried about your eyesight at 21 then maybe you need a decent optician or should be considering a career where you won’t be to blame for killing a lot of people in one go as a result, surgeon maybe?

2. Driving other stuff for several years before getting anywhere near a HGV (legally).

3. Lived in Finland for 3 years, 20+ years driving experience behind me at the time, without fluency in the language they did not want to know in the slightest. Understandable maybe for those doing only internal work, but for international work when no other country in the World would have Finnish speakers■■? Sweden may be different, but my experience of Scandinavia was not a good one for seeking work as an immigrant.

Did you look for a job there for 3 years, no luck?
Did you apply before moving, or after you got there?

dieseldog999:
get your qualifications here for everything as the cost is crucifying in sweden.
stay away from malmo and stockholm type areas where the muslims have overran and the rest of the place is absolutely first class for lifestyle.
the country s huge and sparsly populated except for the cities with great roads and quality of life.
theres another dude colin in sweden on here in gislaved/halland area to also advise…
imports are generally frowned upon by a lot of the indigenous swedes but if your english and pink then your 1 step ahead of the ee flipflops who are 2 steps ahead of the taliban who in general terms are not greatly welcomed with open arms especially when it comes to job hunting.

Are you a Swede?

fuser84:

Truckdriver12:
Just a few questions.

1. What are the eye sight requirements to pass the medical exam? Are there weight restrictions too?
  2. How do you get a job when you have no driving experience, after getting the HGV license? First step is probably the hardest?
  3. How many years driving experience do you need under your belt before firms in other countries will employ you?
    No weight restrictions.

3. I don’t know this part but I did my hgv categories after I moved to the UK and I had no problem finding jobs. Try to do the license in Sweden if you speak the language and you want to work there.

A lot of those big companies want prior driving experience.
Do I need to start somewhere small first?

Truckdriver12:

fuser84:

Truckdriver12:
Just a few questions.

No weight restrictions.

No you can start to look anywhere you want Eddie do train people up as do Gist couple of other companies do now as well

Also have a look in the New & wannabes forum & Ex pats

viewforum.php?f=5

viewforum.php?f=6

Might be of help

But as said there is no shortage of drivers if there was wages would be higher but some are as low as £8.50 per hour depends who & where you work everyone need us but nobody want us as parking is getting harder & harder to find as a lot of firms won’t pay £25+ for MSA /truckstop

If you want to go for it then please visit the trainer before you part with any money there are no national trainers please don’t use a broker as they will charge you a lot for them to find you the cheapest place

The eye test is similar to that of a car test
Some companies do ask for 2 years experience but don’t be put off just be honest with them
Best to go in & speak to them rather than e mail

animal:

Truckdriver12:

fuser84:

Truckdriver12:
Just a few questions.

No weight restrictions.

No you can start to look anywhere you want Eddie do train people up as do Gist couple of other companies do now as well

Also have a look in the New & wannabes forum & Ex pats

viewforum.php?f=5

viewforum.php?f=6

Might be of help

But as said there is no shortage of drivers if there was wages would be higher but some are as low as £8.50 per hour depends who & where you work everyone need us but nobody want us as parking is getting harder & harder to find as a lot of firms won’t pay £25+ for MSA /truckstop

If you want to go for it then please visit the trainer before you part with any money there are no national trainers please don’t use a broker as they will charge you a lot for them to find you the cheapest place

The eye test is similar to that of a car test
Some companies do ask for 2 years experience but don’t be put off just be honest with them
Best to go in & speak to them rather than e mail

I’m a big guy with a beard.
I prefer not to wear any kind of uniform, dress code, or shave off my beard
Is this ok for some companies?

hutpik:
1 Looking at some people on the road,as long as you leave theguide dog at home.
2 The same way we all did,a bit of [zb] and a lot of enthusiasm.
3The same as 2 if they need people.
Edit.Make sure you like Winters.Now -30c and ±30cms snow expected for weekend.

The north is a beautiful place. You are lucky :smiley:

But if there is a no deal Brexit, will Sweden still recruit drivers from the Uk, maybe through work permit visa? Or will they take drivers from the EU because it’s easier?

I wanna move to Sweden like you, but I’m worried Brexit will stop drivers from living in Sweden in the future.

If there is a driver shortage in Sweden after Brexit, will they still take drivers from Uk? Or will they take them from Eastern Europe because it’s easier, no work visa required?

dieseldog999:

Yep. if there is a no deal Brexit, will Sweden still recruit drivers from the Uk, maybe through work permit visa? Or will they take drivers from the EU because it’s easier?

I wanna move to Sweden , but I’m worried Brexit will stop drivers from living in Sweden in the future.

If there is a driver shortage in Sweden after Brexit, will they still take drivers from Uk? Or will they take them from Eastern Europe because it’s easier, no work visa required?

1.im not swedish.
2 the jurys out on brexit though personally i think it will have as much impact as the millenium bug once it gets down to your average working man level.
everyone hates the english politically so the likes of france and the rest will make it as difficult as possible meaning the scots and northern irish will get tarred with the same brush
theres masses of flipflops working there as they are cheap willing labour same as everywhere else theyve swarmed into.
if you get a seasonal job and renew your next years contract then you get about 80% dole dosh on the wages you earned for the winter 6 month .
plenty of mega dosh if you want to work up north.
quality of life is on a different planet.

Vid:

True, the finnish job market is pretty much sewn up, you need good finnish. Not so in Sweden or Norway.

As for the weight question, wasn’t there something about truck seats being designed to carry a maximum of 18 stone??

milodon:

Vid:

True, the finnish job market is pretty much sewn up, you need good finnish. Not so in Sweden or Norway.

I am looking for driving jobs in Sweden.
I would like to move there from UK.
I saw your post about the driver shortage in Sweden.
I want to apply for jobs in Sweden.
I’m single, young, strong, can work any time of the day and night etc.

dieseldog999:
flipflops

Oh how ironic. In one sentence complaining about flipflops and in the next urging to take advantage of the welfare system :unamused:

Well a newsflash - without the flipflops the western european economies would drop off a cliff. Why you ask? Well if it wasn’t for people of your generation deciding to have one, maybe two kids at most, there wouldn’t be such a gaping hole in both workforce and taxbase.

So drop the song and dance please, it’s getting old. Like the median age in your western european country of choice.

Truckdriver12:
I am looking for driving jobs in Sweden.
I would like to move there from UK.
I saw your post about the driver shortage in Sweden.
I want to apply for jobs in Sweden.
I’m single, young, strong, can work any time of the day and night etc.

Sorry mate, ain’t of much use to you, live in Estonia and work in Norway, don’t have much to do with lorries either anymore.

What does Colin and the grumpy immigrant from the north have to offer? I’d rather choose Luleå, Skellefteå or Umeå to move to, especially the latter with all the nice university totty around :wink:

Won’t have to order a girlfriend from Bangladesh at least :laughing:

milodon:

dieseldog999:
flipflops

Oh how ironic. In one sentence complaining about flipflops and in the next urging to take advantage of the welfare system :unamused:

Well a newsflash - without the flipflops the western european economies would drop off a cliff. Why you ask? Well if it wasn’t for people of your generation deciding to have one, maybe two kids at most, there wouldn’t be such a gaping hole in both workforce and taxbase.

So drop the song and dance please, it’s getting old. Like the median age in your western european country of choice.

Not true.

LisasGuy:
I passed my class 1 when i was 21 & single with a plan on going to live & work in America (i have family their) but i met my now wife & didn’t. Fast forward 24 years & 3 children & it’s the one regret i have always had, my wife & children have no desire to move anywhere abroad.
My advice would be get your licence get some experience behind you & go for it else like me you will regret it for the rest of your life, if it doesn’t work out you have lost nothing.
Being 26 is no age I’m still learning stuff now ! Good luck whatever you decide.

+1

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

milodon:

dieseldog999:
flipflops

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
total pish. :unamused:
its not the white uk populations fault that muslims breed like rats with an average 8 children in every family compared to the uk having 2.
anywhere that is populated by the flipflops for working drives wages down or otherwise stops them from increasing .
if they come to work,then its not their fault as they are only chasing wages the same as the irish and the brits did years ago,its the goverments fault for letting them in and ive no problem with them in that respect,whereas the illegals/anti british muslims are a different bucket of eels entirely.
its a forum,anyone is entitled to their own opinion,even if you are wrong… :slight_smile:

All the reasons for employers to choose East Euro,or in Sweden’s open door immigration policy case,even non EU immigrant labour,exist regardless of Brexit or EU membership.

As for the idea of working in Sweden as a driver.The choice is a no brainer.Sensible pro road transport policies v truck hating UK what’s not to like.To the point of might as well do your driver training there as employers will probably prefer to take on a new driver who’s familiar with Swedish operating conditions and Swedish spec kit which realistically means A frame drawbar C + E training and test from the start.It’s definitely an idea which I should have considered,with hindsight,when I started out.