17 staff laid off at "Emissions cheating" company

robroy:
Trucks are as clean running as they will ever be, enough is enough, I’m just pleased I no longer own one.

Mr Nicholson has said exactly the same thing.

“I have run trucks for 40 years and I have fitted every government add on available whist still running for the same profit margin”

Let the lad carry on if he wants. I’m off with Mrs Nicholson on a cruise [emoji23]

We always ad blue in the countryside

I prefer to sit outside Eric’s yard in ■■■■■■■ than Marsham Street in London for my fresh air

Franglais:
Ok, we all know the background arguments.
But why accept pollution if it’s avoidable? Sure AdBlue technology costs money, but in this case it’s not someone choosing to run older vehicles, and legally avoiding the need for AdBlue and it’s not someone protesting about the regulations and pushing for change. It’s someone thinking their financial advantage can be gained by risking causing ill health to others. I know you were only a wee kid, but you must remember the blue smoke from all the trucks thirty or more years ago. You wouldn’t accept that from one if your’s today would you? Another thirty years (if we’re around!) we won’t be accepting today’s pollution levels.
Our standards evolve and we need to accept the new regs. If that costs money, then ALL hauliers should play to the same rules, and the rates will reflect that.

Or maybe my first line was wrong? Do you accept the global arguments about pollution caused by infernal combustion engines and deisels in particular?
For myself I can see the problems caused by transport pollution and hate it.
But I still drive for pleasure and am trying to buy an old deisel guzzling 4x4, so any accusation of hypocrisy is well aimed at me.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I know , I just can’t get that wound up over it. Heavens only knows my lungs/brain/whatev are like by now. 50 years of breathing in good solid diesel fumes, not to mention a breakfast was not a breakfast in those good old days, without a good dose of Easy Start :stuck_out_tongue:

albion:
I know , I just can’t get that wound up over it. Heavens only knows my lungs/brain/whatev are like by now. 50 years of breathing in good solid diesel fumes, not to mention a breakfast was not a breakfast in those good old days, without a good dose of Easy Start :stuck_out_tongue:

LMFAO!..

After you’d gassed yourself squirting ether into the intake of a DAF 3300 you could then gas yourself in Jacks Hill Cafe with a special brand of Benson and Hedges, Players Number 6 and Embassy as you wolfed down your 800 calorie breakfast.

Darkside:

Pollution is perceived as more dangerous than collision.

The public have been fed so much information, and misinformation, regarding pollution, firms cannot be seen to flout these laws.

Exactly, so the transport firms have to jump through hoops to appease what the public have been drip fed and believe.
As if there are not enough regs already for them to contend with regarding face saving bs… (like the cpc and wtd for eg that the stupid and naive also believe are of the official agenda) , as well as the rules that ARE actually genuine in terms of safety, and ARE actually a real entity.
And so it goes on the industry regulating it’s self so far up it’s own arse there is no room for any more.

albion:
I’m of the same opinion as yorkshire terrier - it’s nowhere in the same league as hours issues or lack of maintenance. Not saying he should get away with it by any means. I wonder if they are using him as an example to others?

He should be punished yes but it’s the severity of it that is mind boggling…
I have worked at 2 big “logistics” firms now where maintenance is spot on and they monitor the drivers behaviour etc,but when push comes to shove they will push drivers to break the law and very stupidly a few niaeve ones do…
These are the operators that should be looked in to

albion:
I knew someone would come up with that, should have know it would be you :laughing:

Whilst you are right, those emissions are going to only play a small part (if any), in death and disease, unlike brakes failing on a hill in Bath for example. It’s a bit like manslaughter and murder, there are degrees and on my spectrum, this isn’t a big drama.

The emissions kill thousands a year. Adblue is to reduce NOx, a very very toxic gas to humans. Trucks and buses on an individual vehicle basis are by far the largest emitters of it. Even cars have it fitted now, my 2017 works Merc Vito van did.

People thought that removing lead from petrol was a waste of time and a joke yet here we are three decades later with a very very low rate of violent crime compared to back then and lead ingestion has been proven to cause violence in people.

Sadly, I’d expect nothing less from a politician.
Plenty of them think they are above the law.

I think the real issue here is one of trust. The operator licensing regime relies on honesty & trust in order to function correctly.

An operator knowingly cheating the system by fitment of a device which allows a vehicle to operate outside of the parameters for which it was manufactured, (I.e Euro IV/V), strikes at the heart of the system in regards to honesty/trust.

I guess you could compare it to “Well, they are willing to fit an emissions cheat device - What else are they willing to do??”

i dont bleve for a minute the words quoted were his words

theres a lot of fiddles when it comes to emissions, needs to be . i know some of the emission testing machines have a special pass button /or way of converting a fail result in to a pass . such as in the last few seconds of the test run pushing a certain button will bypass the fail into a pass

robroy:
Instead of knocking Nicholson, we should be asking about the validity of yet another ott [zb] stupid (arguably needless) regulation in this [zb] ed up industry.
To use an analogy, to explain all this crap, it’s like a field that needs the grass cut down.

In the 60s and 70s free for all, the grass was out of control, 6 foot, high, it needed to be cut for image and safety.
(In literal terms of emissions, no argument from me on that)
In the 80s a little better.

In the 90s it was 6 inches high, …so much much better.

Then came the 00s, with new regs, so it became Championship football field quality which was good enough and achieved their aims.
(for those who don’t know wtf I’m on about the emissions were cut down to a much safer and adequate level)
…but no, Then it had to be Premier league pitch quality, still not good enough.

So now they want it Golf open championship putting green quality…WTF FOR exactly?
To appease the Greens and the Leftie ‘‘Right on’’ types.
So now people are losing their life long jobs.
Good old UK eh? :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Trucks are as clean running as they will ever be, enough is enough, I’m just pleased I no longer own one.

All that when the technology to convert a modern truck diesel to 100% LPG costing around 60p per litre and providing all the advantages of free for all maintenance with golf course quality,is there and available.

manski:

Darkside:
But… he was trying to gain a commercial advantage over his competitors, by deleting (troublesome) emission equipment, while those competitors were shouldering that cost.

Firms that break hours laws or have bad maintenance also get shut down, or have I missed something here?

Sorry but no sympathy here…

You could say pretty much on a parallel with what Volkswagen were doing, getting around somewhat theoretical emissions standards, and what happened to them, nothing in Europe.

I am not against trying to stop pollution but IMHO this technology, and legislation, is being pushed too far, too fast by the motor manufacturers in the interests of selling more vehicles.

It isn’t being pushe by the manufacturers ,far from it,Ad blue systems etc are bought in from the likes of Bosch ,delphi etc ,It has cost manufactures millions in development ,and it is Brussels who dictate what the next level will be and when it is introduced

Would there be any implications from the TC for the drivers ?

norb:

manski:

Darkside:
But… he was trying to gain a commercial advantage over his competitors, by deleting (troublesome) emission equipment, while those competitors were shouldering that cost.

Firms that break hours laws or have bad maintenance also get shut down, or have I missed something here?

Sorry but no sympathy here…

You could say pretty much on a parallel with what Volkswagen were doing, getting around somewhat theoretical emissions standards, and what happened to them, nothing in Europe.

I am not against trying to stop pollution but IMHO this technology, and legislation, is being pushed too far, too fast by the motor manufacturers in the interests of selling more vehicles.

It isn’t being pushe by the manufacturers ,far from it,Ad blue systems etc are bought in from the likes of Bosch ,delphi etc ,It has cost manufactures millions in development ,and it is Brussels who dictate what the next level will be and when it is introduced

Hang on!
It’s not as if someone in an obscure office in Brussels has taken it on themselves to issue an edict on some whim is it?
The EU has signed up to the Paris Accord and loads of other Global agreements predating that. Even if Trump is considering welching on his country’s deal. The EU, including it’s full member the UK, sat and negotiated the deal. Then all the EU countries worked out the details that became EU6 and EU7 or whatever. The USA Autralasia Japan do have similar standards.
In the future we in the UK will be free to set our own standards. No Brussels involved.
Are the big players going to invest in big expenditure to give us a different engine than the EU or the USA? Unlikely. And if they do it’ll be expensive, after all it’ll be only us on that standard.
So we’ll adopt someone else’s standard won’t we? Likely an EU standard as there plants are nearest. But of course we will have zero say in the future what that standard will be.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

peirre:
Would there be any implications from the TC for the drivers ?

In a word, no.

Rules are rules. If no one adheres to them then no need for rules. The powers that be make a few example test cases and come down hard and it stops people being tempted. If you read what punishment is being dealt out and you continue to do it then more fool you and deep what you sow.

Transport company No1 breaks all the rules and drives company no2 out of business because he can’t compete by playing by the rules.

Sorry no sympathy whatsoever. And for the record no one is fitting these devices because the problems adblue creates. It’s pure bottom line greed.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Greed ■■?
I don’t think it all is about greed…
I know an operator running about 12 trucks his 4 dafs have been such a nightmare due to adblue he has fitted devices,the rest of his fleet still run on it…
This guy is loaded and not a penny pincher but it made sense to cut out the adblue…
Makes me laugh all this anyway as when a truck goes for export the adblue is disabled as they don’t use it in Africa etc…
So why the hell do we put up with all this crap

Conor:
People thought that removing lead from petrol was a waste of time and a joke yet here we are three decades later with a very very low rate of violent crime compared to back then and lead ingestion has been proven to cause violence in people.

Seriously Conor? …you actually believe that? :open_mouth:
I would have thought an educated guy like you, (and especially as your signature at the bottom of your posts suggest you are a bit of a cynic towards this sort of official bs stuff anyway) would not be taken in by official rhetoric and sound bites.

You mention a lower rate of violence…I’m assuming you are around the same age as me, so at the time you use as an example, if we all went out on the ■■■■ & the pull as a group of lads, and things got a bit iffy with the local crews after a few pints, the worst we would expect to come out of it was a good pasting if they were a bit tastier than us.
Nowadays you’re more likely to get a knife pulled on you, and in worse extreme cases facing the wrong end of a gun. :open_mouth:

So how you form that opinion of a less violent society I aint sure, but I’m fairly confident that it has the far end of ■■■■ all to do with what’s coming out of my Eminox mate.

yorkshire terrier:
Greed ■■?
I don’t think it all is about greed…
I know an operator running about 12 trucks his 4 dafs have been such a nightmare due to adblue he has fitted devices,the rest of his fleet still run on it…
This guy is loaded and not a penny pincher but it made sense to cut out the adblue…
Makes me laugh all this anyway as when a truck goes for export the adblue is disabled as they don’t use it in Africa etc…
So why the hell do we put up with all this crap

No, it would make more sense to get rid of the DAFs, running bent by fitting a device to cut out the ad-blue could cost him his business.

robroy:

Conor:

Seriously Conor? …you actually believe that? :open_mouth:
I would have thought an educated guy like you, (and especially as your signature at the bottom of your posts suggest you are a bit of a cynic towards this sort of official bs stuff anyway) would not be taken in by official rhetoric and sound bites.

You mention a lower rate of violence…I’m assuming you are around the same age as me, so at the time you use as an example, if we all went out on the ■■■■ & the pull as a group of lads, and things got a bit iffy with the local crews after a few pints, the worst we would expect to come out of it was a good pasting if they were a bit tastier than us.
Nowadays you’re more likely to get a knife pulled on you, and in worse extreme cases facing the wrong end of a gun. :open_mouth:

So how you form that opinion of a less violent society I aint sure, but I’m fairly confident that it has the far end of [zb] all to do with what’s coming out of my Eminox mate.

There is a link between lead and aggression. However linking the drop in violence to reduction in lead in petrol doesn’t work in isolation. There are multiple reasons why we are living in a less violent society. Correlation does not imply causation and all that.

Bottom line, I do what I’m supposed to, but I really don’t give a rat’s ■■■ about it.