15 minute checks

Roymondo:

newmercman:
If they find a defect you should have spotted it doesn’t matter how long you book for a pre trip inspection, if they don’t find a defect, the same applies. So it’s easy, do your checks and drive away, the time taken is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Surely at this time of year we should be sat with the engine running for a good 15 minutes while we wait for the oil to come up to temperature… [emoji851]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Savage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

newmercman:

Roymondo:

newmercman:
If they find a defect you should have spotted it doesn’t matter how long you book for a pre trip inspection, if they don’t find a defect, the same applies. So it’s easy, do your checks and drive away, the time taken is irrelevant.

Surely at this time of year we should be sat with the engine running for a good 15 minutes while we wait for the oil to come up to temperature… [emoji851]

Savage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:smiley: :smiley:

I jump in , fire her up, move tacho off bed, grab my cup and walk down drivers side to get to the office, make a coffee go to the bog and walk back up the passenger side, takes about 10 minutes job done

Roymondo:

newmercman:

But if you set the tickover to 1800 rpm while you kick the tyres and make coffee there is no need [emoji846]

1300rpms does the trick for me, it gets the coolant up to 150deg F and doesn’t make it sound as though it’s going to explode into shrapnel as you pull away. I added half a gallon of oil the other week, it lives in the step box on the passenger side, it was only -10c and it was like pouring treacle, topped off the other half gallon when I got home and parked in my heated workshop and it poured out almost like water, quite surprising what a few degrees difference can make to viscosity.

The whole fifteen minutes thing is made up by operators so their records look good… “Look Mr DVSA man, all our drivers are spending at least 15 minutes every morning carrying out meticulous vehicle checks, look how good we are having them take it all so seriously”. It’s an arse covering exercise.

I drive familiar units with new/nearly new trailers everyday, my vehicle checks do not take 15 minutes. Like most guys, its 5 minutes or so checking your happy with everything and then 10 filling in paperwork, applying wet wipes to the dash and drinking coffee. Obviously, hand me a wreck of a trailer and/or a dodgy load and it’ll take longer. I just use my initiative.

Franglais:
Rob !
I`m surprised at you. I saw a tongue very firmly stuck in a cheek there.

Spot on again Franglais, a bit of weekend banter and no worries whatsoever Rob.

But while I’m here I will say It’s hard enough to obey all the real rules all the time so there is no chance I’ll obey the mythical rules.

Wheel Nut describes it nicely as well but if I were working for plebs that insist on 15 minute checks at their expense and not mine then my tacho would show at least 15 minutes just like the other guys above.

Hope you all had a good weekend as the ‘Beast from the East’ is on its way it seems.