Quick question regarding sat nav charger

Is it ok to plug a sat nav 12V in car charger into a truck 24V power outlet? If not what do I need?

Tarrman:
Is it ok to plug a sat nav 12V in car charger into a truck 24V power outlet? If not what do I need?

Most are ok as they have an input range from 12v to 24v.

Check the specs of the SatNav

Some trucks have 12v sockets.

I can’t speak for all types, but if it’s a Tom Tom 1 Europe like I have, it’s OK for 24v, but ask at Halfords or somewhere similar first to be sure.

do’nt assume if you’ve got a tomtom it’s ok to plug into 24 volts because there is a lot of after market chargers about which are 12 volt only and will brick it straight away.if you know it’s an original it will be ok but make sure it is.

My Garman does 12 or 24

stobarttrucker:
do’nt assume if you’ve got a tomtom it’s ok to plug into 24 volts because there is a lot of after market chargers about which are 12 volt only and will brick it straight away.if you know it’s an original it will be ok but make sure it is.

Yes that’s a good point. A lot of chargers have the input range on a label. Only go by the SatNav spec if it’s the original charger.

Tarrman:

No, you need a charger that’s marked as 12/24 volt otherwise you’ll fry the sat-nav.

The good news is that you can buy 12/24 volt chargers suitable for sat-navs quite cheap.

Excellent thanks all, will check it when I get home later :sunglasses:

Its agood idea to start the engine then plug in the toys.The starter takes a lot of power and when it stops there can be a surge.

robroy:
I can’t speak for all types, but if it’s a Tom Tom 1 Europe like I have, it’s OK for 24v, but ask at Halfords or somewhere similar first to be sure.

Do not ask at Halfrauds unless you enjoy getting incorrect/incomplete/misleading information (or you know and trust the employee in question).

Just checked the charger and it says 10v-24v so I’m guessing it’s ok. It’s a new Garmin if anyone’s interested.

You’ll be fine mate.

Jobs a goodun. :wink: