Double manning nightwork

hi all,

i’ve been offered a driving slot with an agency to work for APC in edinburgh, from what they have told me i would be driving a class 1 with a double decker trailer and it would be trunk work with another driver.

having never done overnight work or double manning i’d like as much info as you can give, what do i set my tacho to while i’m in the passenger seat, how many hours can i drive for, is it still the 9 hours or is night work diferent.

any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jimi

When you’re in the passenger seat you put your card/chart in the second driver position, slot 2 if its a digital tachograph.

As far as the regulations are concerned everything is the same as a single manned trip except for the daily rest requirements.
When multi-manning you should have completed a daily rest period of at-least 9 hours no later than 30 hours from the start of the shift, this effectively gives you a maximum spread-over from start to end of the shift of 21 hours with a total driving time between two drivers of 18/20 hours.

The likelihood is that the shift will be a normal shift (13/15 hours maximum) but with more driving time than one driver can do in a single shift, so it’s double manned to get over the maximum 10 hours driving time.

thanks for that, i take it that while the other guy is driving and i’m sitting in the passenger seat my tacho will be on rest… just want to make sure and not screw this up.

PhantomMajor:
thanks for that, i take it that while the other guy is driving and i’m sitting in the passenger seat my tacho will be on rest… just want to make sure and not screw this up.

You’ll probably be using a digital tachograph, when you’re in the passenger seat your card will be in slot 2, however you cannot put slot 2 on break whilst the vehicle is moving, slot 2 only records POA or other work while the vehicle is moving.

Put it on POA.

Whilst you’re in the passenger seat on a multi-manned trip the first 45 minutes of POA will count as break.

Page 21 of GV262 gives information of multi-manning

PhantomMajor:

I think you can take a driving break in passenger seat but not a rest period. So “Available” most of the time I think.
This might help:http://www.transportsfriend.org/images/hours/multi_manned.gif

EDIT posted at same time as above post!

Something else you should be aware of, some of the Scottish operations operate a jump jockey system meaning vehicles are not truely double manned as to run double manned there must be two drivers in the vehicle at all times after the first hour. If this is the case you must have a stationary break and cannot count the first 45 in pas seat. Just something to bear in mind as some are unaware of the rules.

gggary:
Something else you should be aware of, some of the Scottish operations operate a jump jockey system meaning vehicles are not truely double manned as to run double manned there must be two drivers in the vehicle at all times after the first hour. If this is the case you must have a stationary break and cannot count the first 45 in pas seat. Just something to bear in mind as some are unaware of the rules.

There’s nothing to stop you having a break in a moving vehicle whether technically multi-manned or not.

A digital tachograph cannot record break for slot 2 while the vehicle is moving, so if you was not multi-manning in a way that’s described in (EC) 561/2006 you would have to write a manual entry on a printout, or leave the card out and do a manual entry when you put it back in.

This got me wondering. Is the following legal:

Two drivers in cab, drive from Carlisle to Hull. (one driver doesn’t drive at all). Get overnight ferry, full 11 hours rest for both drivers.

Can both drivers start multimanning rules in Rotterdam the next day? Should know this but have never been able to work it out !

EDIT maybe the principle to apply is that there is enough rest for the first feeder journey to be under multimanning rules anyway.

th2013:
This got me wondering. Is the following legal:

Two drivers in cab, drive from Carlisle to Hull. (one driver doesn’t drive at all). Get overnight ferry, full 11 hours rest for both drivers.

Can both drivers start multimanning rules in Rotterdam the next day? Should know this but have never been able to work it out !

EDIT maybe the principle to apply is that there is enough rest for the first feeder journey to be under multimanning rules anyway.

They don’t have to both drive to be multi-manning, there just has to be two or more drivers in the vehicle available to drive for the entire journey except possibly the first hour of the journey.

So yes what you’ve said can be done under multi-manning regulations.

th2013:
maybe the principle to apply is that there is enough rest for the first feeder journey to be under multimanning rules anyway.

Sorry but I’ve no idea what that means :confused:

I wonder if he is referring to a total journey coming under multi manning rules as opposed to coming under those rules between rest periods ?

If the first part of the journey was not compliant with MM rules but a rest period was taken before the second part and that second part did conform to MM rules then as long as the first part conformed to single rules the second part can be under MM rules because the rules ‘reset’ after a rest period

I think that is what he is getting at …

Thanks for the replies. ROG has cracked my code!

My question wasn’t clear about the the important detail. As ROG guessed I was wondering whether the maximum 21 hours of multi-manning duties could start in Rotterdam to allow a greater range in mainland Europe.
My last (confusing!) sentence was suggesting that as there would be an 11 hour break for both drivers while on the ferry, it is probably ok to treat the first leg (Carlisle to Hull) as either single OR multi-manned, I think it really doesn’t matter as there will be a full rest period for both drivers on the ferry, and the normal “reset” of hours after a rest period applies. Does that still sound ok?

Get a decent thermos flask, to save wasting money at the MSA `s, a tupperware box for the sarnies or get the wife to cook some chicken or pasta to take on the run.
Your body clock will be upside down, and you get a jet lag feeling, ear plugs for sleeping in the day, turn off the land line and mobile phones too, some have black out curtains in their bedrooms at home.
I once had to rescue our driver who had broken down near the Italian border, and the garage where he was at had a small bunk room and kitchenette at the Scania garage, he was quite happy to stay there over X mas, but we double maned it back to the Uk, but he placed all his kit on the bunk and would not let me sleep on the bunk while he was driving his 4.30 hour shift.
He said it was illegal to be on the bunk while the truck was moving and he would get the fine if we got stopped, so i had to stay awake in the passenger seat, chat so he could stay awake.

when i double manned each driving shift was
3 hrs max, always on the bunk at night

hitch:
when i double manned each driving shift was
3 hrs max, always on the bunk at night

I no this as no barring on the OP but one of are drivers did this and the truck was stopped and the other driver was on the bunk and the police give him a fixed penalty ticket for no seat belt. the main driver was give a warning for carrying passenger is an unsafe manner. next day memo form boss all drivers must be in a seat when wearing a seat belt, in moving vehicle