Why have I got a 107 restriction on C1+E Catagory

Just recieved my Licence back after passing C+ E on 12/12/12. What i cant understand is why do i have a 107 restriction on C1+E (limited to 8250 Kgs). I can’t remember what was on it previously but I can understand the 107 restriction on C1+E before passing my C+E. Is this a mistake on DVLA’s part. I am 41 and passed cat B in 1988.
Anyone know why this would be.

anything over that train weight needs a full C+E, and as such, would be more than the vehicle’s plated train weight

When you passed your car test in 88,this entitled you to drive a 7.5 tonne truck. When the license category’s changed on 1st Jan 1997 this entitlement had to be shown-but the 8250 kg train weight limit had to be shown also-hence the 107 code.
Is this your 1st photocard license ? This is usually when these things come to light.
It doesn’t matter anyway because licenses are like top trumps----your c+e trumps the 107 restriction. You can tow behind a 7.5 tonne truck up to the plated weights of truck and trailer.

No, if you have C+E then that shouldn’t be on there.

Harry Monk:

you quite sure about that Harry?

it is on mine too :wink:

shuttlespanker:

Harry Monk:

Just had to check…I’ve got it on mine as well :confused:

shuttlespanker:

Harry Monk:

As I understand it, a C+E licence holder would be able to drive a C1+E combination to the maximum weight, 12 tonnes. I presume the fact that the restriction is on his licence (and yours) is just some in-built bureaucratic mistake.

The DVLA may have forgot to remove the restriction, it happened to me I passed auto cat D then passed manual cat C which inturn is supposed to upgrade the D to a full manual entitlement but I got my licence back still with auto on it.

Harry Monk:

shuttlespanker:

Harry Monk:

As I understand it, a C+E licence holder would be able to drive a C1+E combination to the maximum weight, 12 tonnes. I presume the fact that the restriction is on his licence (and yours) is just some in-built bureaucratic mistake.

That’s what i thought aswell C1+E has a maximum 12000kgs as long as the trailer is not heavier than the tow vehicle.
I will give the DVLA a ring when they open again.
I may be wrong here but I would imagine my C + E would not cover Me for C1+E >8250kgs due to the fact that Cat C is LGV > 7500kgs

If you have C1E (107) because you passed the car test before 1997 it will still show as that even when you pass the CE despite the fact you’re no longer subject to that restriction.

Passed car test 1983. I have got C + E passed 1987, D passed 2008 which automatically was granted as D + E

I have also got C1E and D1E. The C1E has also got 107 restriction and the D1E has got 101 restriction and 119. Both of these later groups should expire when you are 70. You should have had these on you old car licence when you passed you car test before 1st Jan 1997. You will still keep these groups if you lost your vocational licence for any reason as you are entitled to them on “Grandfathers rights”

Phoned DVLA on Thursday as looking around for work again ( see Christmas Bonus post ) to query this as I looked at something online which I thought I could do, but it said no 107 restrictions. The nice lady at the DVLA told me that I can use my D + E to do this job rather than D1+E which is what the job was being advertised at.

If you have got or can get hold of the green leaflet INS57P from the DVLA, it lists all the groups and restrictions in there. You should have had one with your licence. I know, you took your licence out of the envelope and threw the rest in the bin :exclamation: We all do, but I thumbed through it and filed it in the drawer with all the other junk regarding cars, tax discs, log books etc :frowning:

The code 107 remains on cat C1+E on your license but the cat C+E over-rides it anyway.

S80RTE:
I may be wrong here but I would imagine my C + E would not cover Me for C1+E >8250kgs due to the fact that Cat C is LGV > 7500kgs

The category weights on you license are hierarchical so cat C+E over-rides cat C1+E which makes the code 107 on cat C1+E irrelevant to you as a cat C+E holder.

S80RTE:
due to the fact that Cat C is LGV > 7500kgs

Cat. C is over 3.5t not 7.5t.

And the actual answer is;

When you passed your car test (category B) prior to 01/01/97 you got a few ‘bonus’ entitlements as well. One of these was that you got vehicles in the over 3,500 kg but not exceeding 7,500 kg (plated weight) or category C1. As another freebie you are allowed to tow a trailer behind the C1 vehicle. However, the trailer cannot have a plated weight exceeding 750kg. To make the licence entitlement clear :open_mouth: they included the ‘107’ restriction which basically limits the weight of the combination to 8.25 tonnes (or 7 500 + 750).

Having passed your C+E test you are permitted to drive vehicles in category C1 towing large trailers, in other words; C1+E. Although don’t forget that C1+E has a maximum Train Weight limit of 12 tonnes. As long as your C+E licence remains valid you will be permitted to drive C1+E (provided no-body changes the law). If you let your C+E lapse, then you will be limited by the ‘107’ restriction. The ‘107’ restriction stays on your licence to show that you have not passed a C1+E test. The only way to get it removed is to pass a driving test in that category of vehicle combination.

A pre 1997 driver who also has passed the C+E test will have all the categories listed below on their licence but some will be hidden as they are covered by a higher category with the same expiry date

All pre 1997 categories will have the same expiry date as the car B category until age 70 when certain categories will then require a D4 medical

B
B+E
C1
C1 hidden
C1+E 107
C1+E hidden
C
C+E
D1 101
D1+E 101

plus a few other ones which I will not bother with

Let the D4 medical lapse and all those in blue will no longer be current but can be regained by passing a new D4 medical at any time

Any B+E whether gained pre 1997 or by passing any +E DSA test will always be expiry dated the same as B

The C1+E 107 is a maximum plated MAM(GVW) of 8250 kgs and that can be utilised in many ways
The first figure is the vehicle GVW and the second is the trailer plated MAM
7500 + 750
6000 + 2250
5250 + 3000

havnt a clue whats goin on here :confused:

so myself as a class 1 holder driving a44ton truck who passed his car test in 2005, does that mean i cant driver a 7,5 tonner with a trailer ?

mark h:
havnt a clue whats goin on here :confused:

so myself as a class 1 holder driving a44ton truck who passed his car test in 2005, does that mean i cant driver a 7,5 tonner with a trailer ?

Take a look at what I put in blue - I think one was a C1+E hidden … yes ?

the reason it is hidden is because C1+E is a subcategory of C+E
C1 is also hidden as that is a subcategory of C

Sir +:

shuttlespanker:

Harry Monk:

Just had to check…I’ve got it on mine as well :confused:

It’s not on mine, BUT I also haven’t got c1+e… Or c1… But I didn’t have a 7.5t licence before passing my C… Maybe that’s why?

haha rog i still think of it as class 1 and class2 if you could re explain ?

waynedl:
It’s not on mine, BUT I also haven’t got c1+e… Or c1… But I didn’t have a 7.5t licence before passing my C… Maybe that’s why?

you sure :question: i didnt have 7.5t licence ither but now have full c1+e since passing c+e :confused: